Djokovic parts ways with Vajda and entire fitness team

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Djokovic fires entire team - like Diogenes, looking for a new spark

Carol35 said:
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:
I don't see too much improvement on Kyrgios, he has a VERY good serve but I'm still waiting for another 36 aces... I would be very surprised if he would repeat that feat again. He is very desperated playing and his bad carácter definitely doesn't help him too much. I see others players doing better roll than him

The Nick thing in this thread is just silliness. There is no current form that tells us that Nick will do well at Wimbledon. None at all. I like Nick, but he's as likely to pull a Nalbandian and kick a lineswoman by mistake and get disqualified as make it to the third round, let alone face anyone who might win it.

Carol, what about Djoker asks Pete, or another great ex-pro to coach him? That seems to be the trend with players nowadays. The likes of Gilbert and Cahill and the big names coaches, they all seem to be out of favour, or outside the loop...

That's another thing that I don't have any clue (or is Novak who doesn't have?) thanks to his coach and team for years (the Serbian Doctor too) and later adding Becker to his team he has got so good results for awhile but now he has decided to send all of them to #$%l because according what he has said in Madrid he needs his own space and thinking about everything (like the couples when they need to be separate for a while because something is not working well...:D). I think that not even he knows what to do to recovery his game :nono

I think I remember reading somewhere that Vajda's daughter is a good prospect and he wants to spend time coaching her, so maybe he's not too disappointed with the split, but yeah, Nole has had a lot of colourful characters in his corner over the years...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
Carol35 said:
Kieran said:
The Nick thing in this thread is just silliness. There is no current form that tells us that Nick will do well at Wimbledon. None at all. I like Nick, but he's as likely to pull a Nalbandian and kick a lineswoman by mistake and get disqualified as make it to the third round, let alone face anyone who might win it.

Carol, what about Djoker asks Pete, or another great ex-pro to coach him? That seems to be the trend with players nowadays. The likes of Gilbert and Cahill and the big names coaches, they all seem to be out of favour, or outside the loop...

That's another thing that I don't have any clue (or is Novak who doesn't have?) thanks to his coach and team for years (the Serbian Doctor too) and later adding Becker to his team he has got so good results for awhile but now he has decided to send all of them to #$%l because according what he has said in Madrid he needs his own space and thinking about everything (like the couples when they need to be separate for a while because something is not working well...:D). I think that not even he knows what to do to recovery his game :nono

I think I remember reading somewhere that Vajda's daughter is a good prospect and he wants to spend time coaching her, so maybe he's not too disappointed with the split, but yeah, Nole has had a lot of colourful characters in his corner over the years...

And Becker, maybe because he was a 'big mouth'? and what about all the team?. I've read they ask Pepe what he thinks about that decision and he didn't want to do any comment but he looked like he had 'smoked' too much, what a mess!!!!!:nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Novak was involved in a car accident last week. It was a minor collision and no physical injuries to anyone. But, this shows that he is deeply troubled. He was driving a small fiat which had a plate saying "love and peace" (Pepe's mantra).

Also, Novak's baby girl is expected to arrive in August.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

It's gonna be a girl? I thought they were keeping quiet about the gender of the baby?

Yeah, a car smash can be a sign that he's distracted and not with it...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think this makes the most sense, from my distant perspective. Becker was saying sensible things at the time about work effort.
I'm not inclined to doubt Becker, or you @Denis, as a fan. Still, I do find the notion of Djokovic lacking in his work ethic to be surprising. Are we to believe that he's that high school senior that got accepted to a big uni and now has stopped attending classes? But if that's really it, he just fired all the people that might shame him into keeping at the work. If he's unmotivated and slacking off, I wonder how going without a coach and a team is going to help. It seems to me that he just gave himself permission to sleep 'til noon, smoke weed, and contemplate his own navel. (That's a metaphor, btw.) I'll be surprised if going it alone is what he needs at this point. I'm with those that say he should bring back Becker.

Reactions: britbox

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
It's gonna be a girl? I thought they were keeping quiet about the gender of the baby?

Yeah, a car smash can be a sign that he's distracted and not with it...

maybe a sign he should hire a female coach ? Mauresmo or Martinez or Graff ???

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to The daily Telegraph, Agassi could be Nole's new coach...wait and see if it's true or only a rumour

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

The rumors say Agassi could be his next coach.....like I've said before, he doesn't know what else to do to lift his game

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/05/08/andre-agassi-could-new-supercoach-reignite-novak-djokovic/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Agassi was a great returner same as Novak but won't bring much extra aggression to his game. He probably needs to start more first strike tennis but it's his choice.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I think it is quite simple: He needs to win. It is a tricky thing, because confidence breeds winning, and winning builds confidence - a nice self-perpetuating cycle that champions get into, and also why players like Tsonga and Berdych always fall short. There has to be that heroic deed to get into the cycle and Novak is just locked out. Even if he's slowed down a hair, he's still got the skills to compete with anyone, and just needs that big win to re-ignite his pilot flame. Maybe he needs a shrink more than a coach.

My point being, I don't know if it matters who his coach is, unless that coach is able to help him accomplish that "heroic deed."

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:
I think it is quite simple: He needs to win. It is a tricky thing, because confidence breeds winning, and winning builds confidence - a nice self-perpetuating cycle that champions get into, and also why players like Tsonga and Berdych always fall short. There has to be that heroic deed to get into the cycle and Novak is just locked out. Even if he's slowed down a hair, he's still got the skills to compete with anyone, and just needs that big win to re-ignite his pilot flame. Maybe he needs a shrink more than a coach.

My point being, I don't know if it matters who his coach is, unless that coach is able to help him accomplish that "heroic deed."

That is why he kept Pepe and let everyone else go. :snicker

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
according to The daily Telegraph, Agassi could be Nole's new coach...wait and see if it's true or only a rumour
I would love to see that. My childhood hero coaching Nole. Not sure they are compatible, but then again he hired Becker as well.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm not inclined to doubt Becker, or you @Denis, as a fan. Still, I do find the notion of Djokovic lacking in his work ethic to be surprising. Are we to believe that he's that high school senior that got accepted to a big uni and now has stopped attending classes? But if that's really it, he just fired all the people that might shame him into keeping at the work. If he's unmotivated and slacking off, I wonder how going without a coach and a team is going to help. It seems to me that he just gave himself permission to sleep 'til noon, smoke weed, and contemplate his own navel. (That's a metaphor, btw.) I'll be surprised if going it alone is what he needs at this point. I'm with those that say he should bring back Becker.

He needs some fire I think. In the past I think he got a lot of fire from a need to prove himself, that went away after winning four slams in a row. He needs someone who can give him that extra bit of motivation.

Really sorry to see Vajda go though.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic still has his (non metal) guru to fill his giddy head full of peace and lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He needs some fire I think. In the past I think he got a lot of fire from a need to prove himself, that went away after winning four slams in a row. He needs someone who can give him that extra bit of motivation.

Really sorry to see Vajda go though.
I think everyone gets that finally winning RG was a huge pressure to get there, and a huge weight off, after. The let down makes sense. But it has been rather long, now. I'm not sure if anyone else can give him the motivation. What he and Roger and Rafa do, especially, at their level, takes a lot of fire in the belly, and it's not something someone else can give you, IMO. Federer and Nadal have both had real dips in the last few years, and are recovering some of their old form. (How long that lasts is anyone's guess.) We'll see how the changes that Djokovic is making work for him in the next months, but I really think the change will come more from within, not from an outside motivating factor/coach/team.

Reactions: Denis

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think everyone gets that finally winning RG was a huge pressure to get there, and a huge weight off, after. The let down makes sense. But it has been rather long, now. I'm not sure if anyone else can give him the motivation. What he and Roger and Rafa do, especially, at their level, takes a lot of fire in the belly, and it's not something someone else can give you, IMO. Federer and Nadal have both had real dips in the last few years, and are recovering some of their old form. (How long that lasts is anyone's guess.) We'll see how the changes that Djokovic is making work for him in the next months, but I really think the change will come more from within, not from an outside motivating factor/coach/team.

I agree Moxie, but I also hope all this will have some kind of positive implication in the end.

Reactions: Moxie

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would love to see that. My childhood hero coaching Nole. Not sure they are compatible, but then again he hired Becker as well.

IMO Agassi is an excellent choice, they share very similar game style. Both have the best returns, and are excellent from the baseline so Agassi knows exactly how a baseline player needs to adjust in different situations.....and i think Agassi's insight is second to none. Also he is much more street wise than Becker, and would not be a publicity liability for Novak.

Agassi is the best choice there is.

Reactions: Denis