Djokovic parts ways with Vajda and entire fitness team

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Edberg is free.....why not ??

Edberg isn't going to coach Djokovic. He's never really been that interested in coaching. He only took up the Federer role because he was asked directly and couldn't resist, but I'm pretty sure it was Stefan who ended that relationship.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
If Federer found a guy to improve his bh, then Djokovic should find someone to improve his overheads: Pistol Pete!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Federer found a guy to improve his bh, then Djokovic should find someone to improve his overheads: Pistol Pete!

Pete hasn't showed any interest in coaching either and I think he's a bit of a home bird. I'm not sure a European-based player would be a good fit. If Sampras does ever get involved in coaching on the main tour then I suspect it will be a player based in North America.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought that was one of the reasons that Becker was brought in.
Pete hasn't showed any interest in coaching either and I think he's a bit of a home bird. I'm not sure a European-based player would be a good fit. If Sampras does ever get involved in coaching on the main tour then I suspect it will be a player based in North America.
I agree. If Sampras ever does take on a player, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's a promising US man, and, at that, on the short-term side.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Djokovic fires entire team - like Diogenes, looking for a new spark

Carol35 said:
First Becker and now Novak announces the split with Marian Vajda and all his team. My question is what this guy is looking for, the fountain of youth? trying to recovery his lost incredible energy and confidence? who knows :huh:

Looks like Djokovic DID get a divorce - just not the one some folks were expecting. :snicker

Isn't this SOP with an athlete in an individual sport? Wholesale change of the "team" because THEY cannot possibly be the problem? It just seems like a dumb and desperate move 3 weeks before Roland Garros. You're not supposed to give your opponent an edge or look into your psyche but nothing screams confidence issues quite like firing everybody around you - including the guy who does nothing but give you a massage and tape your ankles. Federer won Slams without a coach but he was 5 years younger than Djokovic is now.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
Carol35 said:
First Becker and now Novak announces the split with Marian Vajda and all his team. My question is what this guy is looking for, the fountain of youth? trying to recovery his lost incredible energy and confidence? who knows :huh:

Novak has reached a point now where motivation is a huge issue - it's kinda been like that since the FO last year, and that's quite understandable. He could have retired straight after the French last year and his reputation would be unimpeachable. But he's kept going, and he's finding that whatever it is, it isn't working. He's taken a brave decision, because we're full swing in the clay and he's hurtling then towards grass. It's a crucial moment in the season. I don't think it's a wrong decision - if he feels it ain't working, then it ain't working - but it'll be interesting to see who sits in the players box for Nole in Paris...

If an athlete is lacking motivation a coaching change isn't going to fix that. That's on him. He's got to look at his life and career and figure out what he wants out of each. If Djokovic is searching for things that push him to want to play tennis, then maybe he needs to do what Borg and McEnroe did and step away from the game for a while. Borg never came back and his reputation and legacy have lived on and inspired other players for over 35 years. McEnroe came back and was never the same because the game had moved from wooden rackets to graphite and become more of a power game. At least Djokovic doesn't have to worry about too many major changes in equipment Look at what Roger's unexpected 6 months break has done for him. He's playing the tournaments he wants to play, feels motivated to play and skipping the ones he doesn't feel as inspired about - and not just playing them but playing some of the best tennis of his life and winning his 18th Slam after a 6-month break. It wouldn't hurt Djokovic to consider that. If not 6 months then maybe the last 3 months of the year and just skip everything after the US Open. I don't think he has that many points to defend after that so he wouldn't fall too far in the rankings.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

bajana said:
Novak says he believes this “shock therapy” will help him achieve better results.

05. 05. 2017. · Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic mutually agreed with his coach Marian Vajda, fitness coach Gebhard Phil Gritsch, and physiotherapist Miljan Amanovic to end their successful and long term partnership after Masters tournament in Monte Carlo.

Novak and the team members decided to part ways after a detailed analysis of the game, achieved results in the previous period, and also after discussing private plans of each team member. Despite the fantastic cooperation so far, Djokovic felt he needed to make a change, and to introduce new energy in order to raise his level of play.

“I am forever grateful to Marian, GG and Miljan for decade of friendship, professionalism and commitment to my career goals. Without their support I couldn’t have achieved these professional heights. I know they completely dedicated themselves and their lives to help me achieve my dreams and they were always my driving force and wind in my back. It was not an easy decision, but we all felt that we need a change. I am very grateful and proud of our relationship and unbreakable bond that we built through years of mutual love, respect and understanding. They are my family and that will never change”, said Djokovic.

Novak’s longtime coach Marian Vajda thanked Djokovic on behalf of the whole team for the years they spent together and for the wonderful cooperation.

“Time spent with Novak feels like a whole lifetime. We were part of many of his incredible achievements, we were living and breathing for his dreams. I gave everything I could as a coach and I am very proud of our results. We arrived to the point where we all realized we need new energy in the team. Novak can do so much more and I am sure he will. I am convinced that he will remain at the top of the tennis for many years and that he will bring a lot of joy to all the tennis fans around the world with his victories. Of course, we will continue consulting each other, seeing each other and hanging out together because after all, we are a family”, explained Vajda.

Novak has added that he believes this “shock therapy” will help him achieve better results.

“I want to continue raising the level of my game and stamina and this is a continuous process. I enjoy this journey, it feels like I am starting something new again and I love this challenge. I am a hunter and my biggest goal is to find the winning spark on the court again”, said Novak.

Novak’s fitness coach Gebhard Gritsch shared his appreciation for the opportunity to work with such an athlete.

“It was a great privilege to have worked with Novak for exactly eight years to the day. It is the dream of every coach to be able to work with an athlete as gifted, professional and committed as Novak. We kept pushing the limits and found new ways to improve. I have no doubt that he will be back on top of the game again. He is a champion and a warrior and the sky is the limit for him. I am very proud of all the time we spent together as a team and a family on the road. It was time for us all to move on professionally, but privately we will remain friends and family and continue sharing all the joys of life with each other”, said Gritsch.

Miljan Amanovic, Novak’s physio commented the situation in a positive tone.

“Novak is my best friend and my brother. I spent more time with him than with my family in the past 10 years. Nothing will change between us as our lives are interconnected in so many ways. I will forever be here for him and I look forward to seeing him rise to his full potential again. I have no doubt that he will”, said Amanovic.

Novak mentioned that he is thinking of strengthening the team with a new head coach, but he does not want to rush things.

“I feel like this is a new chapter in my life. My career was always on the upward path and this time I’m experiencing how it is when the path takes you in a different direction. I want to find a way to come back to the top stronger and more resilient. I have so much faith in this process and that’s why I will take time to find the right person who I can connect with professionally. I have been on the tour long enough to know how to manage daily routines and I don’t want to rush my decision. I will be on the tour alone for a while with support of my family and management. I will inform the public when I find the right person, but for now I thank you for your support and understanding”, concluded Djokovic.

http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/media/i-want-to-find-the-winning-spark-on-the-court-again/

The "team's" statements read like old school Eastern Block communism propaganda press releases right before dissidents disappeared to a gulag never to be heard from again. They left out the word "comrade," though. :rolleyes:

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

kskate2 said:
Rafa should add Vajda to his team. Who better knows how to defeat Novak than someone who used to coach him? :idea:

And Novak should hire Edberg or Annacone. Stefan can help his volley & OH. Annacone is a great strategist and good coach overall.

Edberg doesn't want to coach anymore - and I'm not even sure he'd have taken the offer in the first place if it had come from anyone but Roger. As for Annacone - well, really, what's he going to do for Djokovic? Retool his entire game? Because what Djokovic needs is to play shorter points and get off the court quicker. Nadal struggled for the better part of 3 years and is playing better now - but he STILL doesn't know how to shorten the points and get off the court in less than 2 hours for a 3 set match and 4-5 hours for a 5-set match. Djokovic is about to turn 30 - he doesn't have 3 years to figure this out.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
Meanwhile, news is out that Jalena is pregnant again and they are expecting a baby girl this time. This is how to combat an affair. Produce a new baby. :laydownlaughing

Yeah...not the brightest idea and it's rarely ever worked for anything more than making your case for a higher child support payment. Another baby to solve marriage and infidelity issues is like putting out a grease fire with "a little gasoline." :nono

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Busted said:
kskate2 said:
Rafa should add Vajda to his team. Who better knows how to defeat Novak than someone who used to coach him? :idea:

And Novak should hire Edberg or Annacone. Stefan can help his volley & OH. Annacone is a great strategist and good coach overall.

Edberg doesn't want to coach anymore - and I'm not even sure he'd have taken the offer in the first place if it had come from anyone but Roger. As for Annacone - well, really, what's he going to do for Djokovic? Retool his entire game? Because what Djokovic needs is to play shorter points and get off the court quicker. Nadal struggled for the better part of 3 years and is playing better now - but he STILL doesn't know how to shorten the points and get off the court in less than 2 hours for a 3 set match and 4-5 hours for a 5-set match. Djokovic is about to turn 30 - he doesn't have 3 years to figure this out.
I don't know that any coach is really going to help him get his game back in order, but he has to have somebody in his box. Going coachless doesn't work especially if you're lacking confidence. Personally, I think he should call Boris back, but maybe too much has been said and that ship has sailed apparently.

And for the record: the right amount of money, the right player and sufficient begging can cause certain retired players to coach again. Just look at Lendl.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

I dunno about the idea of bringing Boris back: I'm not even sure what Boris contributed to the team, or if Novak would have done the same without him. I certainly didn't like that as soon as he was dropped from the team, Becker went straight to the press and blabbed about Novak not working as hard, etc. Shoulda kept schtum. It's not a likeable trait, to instantly blab about the player who's confidence you shared. I prefer the reaction of the recently departed Vajda. Class, and complimentary towards Novak.

Novak always strikes me as a bloke who need attention, so I agree he should line up a replacement soon. He's not like Roger, or Mac, who could easily play great tennis, and only have family in their box. Players form a symbiotic bond with their coach. Sometimes it even becomes something more intimate, more Svengali-like, a superstitious, immovable fixture in the box that the player relies upon in ways that go beyond technique, or fitness. Think Borg, or Rafa. I'm not sure traveling alone is going to benefit Novak, especially at the most busy time of the season...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Shocking but Interesting ..Roger has to be jumping for Joy, imo..he has no one who can stop him at Wimbledon :devil

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Imo, Kyrgios would currently be the toughest opponent by far for Roger at Wimbledon based on current form and, in fact, he'd be the toughest for anyone else too.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Imo, Kyrgios would currently be the toughest opponent by far for Roger at Wimbledon based on current form and, in fact, he'd be the toughest for anyone else too.

I would agree but Krygrios doesn't have the mental fortitude to make it to the semifinals of grand slam. Its Djokovic..it's always been the past 3 to five years .

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Like I said, based on current form. Djokovic lost to Querrey last year and hasn't been anywhere close to the level from Kyrgios this year imo but of course things can change fast. Him telling the world he wants to fix his stamina could be his way of telling everyone he has a new dirty trick up his sleeve. Next few months will be telling.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Current form? Kyrgios?

Explain... :popcorn

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Besides Donskoy no one has beaten Federer all year. Kyrgios got within 2 points of victory in Miami and they played 3 tiebreaks. Djokovic is in 23rd place in the race to London. Kyrgios is number 15 and has had a better year so far. With his current form and much more devastating serve on grass, he's clearly one of the top prospects at Wimbledon.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Besides Donskoy no one has beaten Federer all year. Kyrgios got within 2 points of victory in Miami and they played 3 tiebreaks. Djokovic is in 23rd place in the race to London. Kyrgios is number 15 and has had a better year so far. With his current form and much more devastating serve on grass, he's clearly one of the top prospects at Wimbledon.

Ah okay. One match. That's not considered "current form", bro...

By the way, you forgot Berdych...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Yeah, Berdych came close to beating Federer too in Miami but he's number 20 in the race so is also below Kyrgios like Djokovic. Again, on current form Djokovic is 8 places below Kyrgios and Berdych is 5 below and I'd rate Kyrgios' chances at Wimbledon much higher than Berdych's personally.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Yeah, Berdych came close to beating Federer too in Miami but he's number 20 in the race so is also below Kyrgios like Djokovic. Again, on current form Djokovic is 8 places below Kyrgios and Berdych is 5 below and I'd rate Kyrgios' chances at Wimbledon much higher than Berdych's personally.

So would I. But nobody has done anything "on current form" that tells us anything about Wimbledon. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick does exactly what he did in Oz, when he arrives at Wimbledon. That's not based on "current form" - it's based on "his form..." ;)