Controversial LP/CD album Covers

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That Blind Faith original cover in particular was in poor taste, almost sick.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
and what about this extraordinary irony ?
Lynyrd Skynyrd, 'Street Survivors' (1977)
Lynyrd Skynyrd's fifth studio album was released on October 17th, 1977; three days later, the band's airplane crashed in Mississippi, killing three members, including leader Ronnie Van Zant. That made the cover photo, of the band standing in front of a backdrop of flames, seem in exceptionally poor taste. The band didn't change the Street Survivors title (which was problematic itself), but they did substitute a different photo of the band with a plain black background.

N

Nekro

In metal there's a Mayhem album cover they talk about a lot, it's a very creepy story :lightning:

"At some point in 1990, the members of Mayhem moved to "an old house in the forest" near Oslo. They began writing songs for their next album, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. On 8 April 1991, Dead committed suicide in the house owned by the band. He was found by Euronymous with slit wrists and a shotgun round to the head. Dead's suicide note read "Excuse all the blood, cheers." and included an apology for firing the weapon indoors. Instead of calling the police, Euronymous went to a nearby store and bought a disposable camera to photograph the corpse, after re-arranging some items. One of these photographs was later stolen and used as the cover of a bootleg live album entitled Dawn of the Black Hearts."

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Banned in the U.S.A.: 20 Wildest Censored Album Covers

From nudity to toilets (yes, really), see what got these LPs shelved -

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...lynyrd-skynyrd-street-survivors-1977-20150115

I guess that most of those covers were used here in Brazil, even if some bands/singers I hardly know or follow, so I wouldn't be sure. Most of them just plain suck anyway and I am amused more by the lack of creativity than by anything else...

and what about this extraordinary irony ?
Lynyrd Skynyrd, 'Street Survivors' (1977)
Lynyrd Skynyrd's fifth studio album was released on October 17th, 1977; three days later, the band's airplane crashed in Mississippi, killing three members, including leader Ronnie Van Zant. That made the cover photo, of the band standing in front of a backdrop of flames, seem in exceptionally poor taste. The band didn't change the Street Survivors title (which was problematic itself), but they did substitute a different photo of the band with a plain black background.

That's tragic irony for sure. Great band and great album, IMO. I really don't understand why the title is problematic, even if I am aware of all the controversy LS got into back then.
In metal there's a Mayhem album cover they talk about a lot, it's a very creepy story :lightning:

"At some point in 1990, the members of Mayhem moved to "an old house in the forest" near Oslo. They began writing songs for their next album, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. On 8 April 1991, Dead committed suicide in the house owned by the band. He was found by Euronymous with slit wrists and a shotgun round to the head. Dead's suicide note read "Excuse all the blood, cheers." and included an apology for firing the weapon indoors. Instead of calling the police, Euronymous went to a nearby store and bought a disposable camera to photograph the corpse, after re-arranging some items. One of these photographs was later stolen and used as the cover of a bootleg live album entitled Dawn of the Black Hearts."

Now that's what I call wild.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Jimi Hendrix Experience ' Electric Ladyland' album has been censored in recent times, which is odd to say the least, that in supposedly more conservative times, a load of naked ladies graced the gatefold and these days it been replaced by a photo of the man himself.

Reactions: Nekro
N

Nekro

The Jimi Hendrix Experience ' Electric Ladyland' album has been censored in recent times, which is odd to say the least, that in supposedly more conservative times, a load of naked ladies graced the gatefold and these days it been replaced by a photo of the man himself.
i guess all those women's tits were too much for the rainbow lobby, i bet they prefer stuff like this:

1217977399075.jpg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

At least he was not naked!

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
i guess all those women's tits were too much for the rainbow lobby, i bet they prefer stuff like this:

1217977399075.jpg

The fact that Manowar could actually produce decent albums despite covers such as this is more than amazing.