Boxing

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Did any of you guys watch Ward-Kovalev? What a great fight! That was chess in a boxing ring. For years I've questioned the boxing intelligence of boxing journalists in the US. They always seem to simplistically go for the boxer who looks to be putting on pressure. A lot of them disliked Mayweather because of that. After Kovalev dropped him in the 2nd round, Ward was just awesome. Such a smart smart boxer. He was nailing Kovalev on the inside and in the last 3 or 4 rounds Kovalev wasn't able to get his range and he seemed to be tiring. Definitely scored it either a Ward win or a draw. Happy that the judges got it right. Would love to see a rematch, and then Ward to take on GGG

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And I have to add.. if it's not obvious, Larry Merchant is as guilty as any boxing "expert" is misjudging fights. It's no surprise to me he and Mayweather never really got along. He would be better judging UFC rather than the sweet science

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did any of you guys watch Ward-Kovalev? What a great fight! That was chess in a boxing ring. For years I've questioned the boxing intelligence of boxing journalists in the US. They always seem to simplistically go for the boxer who looks to be putting on pressure. A lot of them disliked Mayweather because of that. After Kovalev dropped him in the 2nd round, Ward was just awesome. Such a smart smart boxer. He was nailing Kovalev on the inside and in the last 3 or 4 rounds Kovalev wasn't able to get his range and he seemed to be tiring. Definitely scored it either a Ward win or a draw. Happy that the judges got it right. Would love to see a rematch, and then Ward to take on GGG

and they used to call Ward boring... Ward has great ring smarts... really underappreciated IMO. I think he's top 5 pound for pound. Looked dicey for him early doors though. Oakland boy, so always followed him.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GGG/Ward... guess it would need to be at super middle. Ward looks small at light heavy anyway.

he does look small, but I was really impressed how he got stronger as the fight went on.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
btw.. I can't understand how people are claiming Ward is now pound for pound king. For me it's a no brainer. Roman Gonzalez. If you haven't watched him yet, have a look on youtube. He's awesome

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This isn't an elite fight... but it's elite as far as pre-fight entertainment goes.... David Haye vs Tony Bellew

Bellew, who starred in the Creed movie... is huge entertainment and is basically the same in real life as he was in that movie - huge mouth, but shifts tickets. I used to go to a lot of his fights when I lived in the UK.

I'm rooting for Bellew, but think Haye is a step too far and the Hayemaker gets him out of there in two rounds.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! I was just whatsapping all of this with some mates. The consensus is that Sky are great at promoting fights this looks so made up

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And I agree. I think Haye is far too heavy a puncher for him. It won't last long. I'm more interested in watching Haye-Joshua, but I suspect Joshua's people will want to avoid that one for a while. I think Joshua's great, but something about him reminds me of Frank Bruno. He's far too muscle bound for a heavyweight. It looks good and can be intimidating but when you get into the dark rounds, he'll be carrying too much muscle mass and should tire in a high pressure fight. I actually want to see what he's like if he gets caught by someone ruthless like Haye

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And I agree. I think Haye is far too heavy a puncher for him. It won't last long. I'm more interested in watching Haye-Joshua, but I suspect Joshua's people will want to avoid that one for a while. I think Joshua's great, but something about him reminds me of Frank Bruno. He's far too muscle bound for a heavyweight. It looks good and can be intimidating but when you get into the dark rounds, he'll be carrying too much muscle mass and should tire in a high pressure fight. I actually want to see what he's like if he gets caught by someone ruthless like Haye

I've been going over this again today and rewatched the Haye/Carl Thompson fight... I said Haye in 2 and still think that's the most likely scenario... but I can see a Bellew scenario too. Interestingly, Bellew has worked his arse off for this fight to happen and he has sparred with Haye in the past... he must see something... and I'm also wondering about Haye's inactivity - he's never had much stamina. Still going with Haye early with a gun to my head... but this could be a very live fight.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It could be. It always makes a difference if you've had lots of sparring rounds with your opponent. Still think Haye though

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Good old Sky. Masters of promotion! I remember being suckered into paying for Audley Harrison vs Haye. I knew it was going to be sh1t. I knew Sky were promoting and I fell for it the day before :wacko:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup! Another Eddie Hearn masterpiece. He knows how to sell a product. Most people are talking about this fight which is an undercard more than Joshua-Molina!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure if Hearn staged it... I'd point that Chisora definitely did... he'd have thrown that table whatever happened. Chisora's got plenty of previous in pre-match antics... For a pretty average fighter, he's done well keeping up his profile.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That's probably true. But it's funny how this stuff always seems to happen at Eddie Hearn promotions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Other Sports 1
B Other Sports 24
JasonNorin Other Sports 6
Kieran Other Sports 1
britbox Other Sports 3