Big Four Titles - visual depiction

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For your enjoyment. My TF friends know I love finding ways to visually depict tennis statistics, so here's another. Similar to my "skyscraper" tool, this one compares the titles of the Big Four. Interesting how different 2017 is, compared to the last few years. You can click on the image for a larger version. I might add the name of titles to a later version, possible add in big titles by other players.

https image

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I like the way this is laid out, Dude, you're very creative and clear in your representations of data...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thanks, Kieran. I really enjoy translating tennis data into visual representations like this as I find it really helps deepen understanding. There is so much you can glean from this chart. For example - the changing degree of dominance. Or we can see that 2012 was, truly, the "Year of the Big Four" in that it was the most balanced of all years.

I'm going to add a couple variations on this chart over the next day or two. Stay tuned.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Can you do a visual representation of Nada's losses and the accompanying excuses of injuries to different parts of him? :snicker

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Can you do a visual representation of Nada's losses and the accompanying excuses of injuries to different parts of him? :snicker

Pay close attention - they're the ones coloured red... :snicker

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Pay close attention - they're the ones coloured red... :snicker

...and quite a bit of the blue! Remember Nole's the only person to beat Rafa 7 times in a row twice; the last 7 without a loss of a set even at FO back in 2015! :dodgy: :p - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html -

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
The trend continues with a revisiting of 2006; Roger Federer wins AO & 1st 2 Masters @ IW & Miami! Rafael Nadal picks up MC on cue! Is Tommy Robredo good enough to win Madrid to keep it all going? :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p :snicker

The short and easy answer: no.

Although that would be fun, wouldn't it? Tommy "Haas" Robredo!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here's another version of the above chart. This one includes, in shades of white and gray, the Slams (white), Masters (very light gray) and Olympics/ATP 500s (medium gray) that the Big Four did not win. I would have included all ATP 250s, but it just didn't seem worth the effort and would have made the chart all wonky. But this helps us see just what a dominant share of the medium to big titles they've held for the last decade plus. Unreal.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
For your enjoyment. My TF friends know I love finding ways to visually depict tennis statistics, so here's another. Similar to my "skyscraper" tool, this one compares the titles of the Big Four. Interesting how different 2017 is, compared to the last few years. You can click on the image for a larger version. I might add the name of titles to a later version, possible add in big titles by other players.

https image

Hmmm...very interesting...not as much Orange\Nadal as you would expect since he's allegedly the GOAT runner-up. Maybe the next time you can color code by surface. :laydownlaughing And yes, that's another jab the King of Clay. :snicker

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Ouch. :cool: That's even snarkier than my Nadal comment. Way to go! :lolz:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Busted said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Ouch. :cool: That's even snarkier than my Nadal comment. Way to go! :lolz:

And here we go......and then they get mad when we say something about their beloved Roger :rolleyes::nono

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting stats about these three top players in all the surfaces

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/fedex-performance-zone-djokovic-federer-nadal-may-2017

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Interesting stats about these three top players in all the surfaces

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/fedex-performance-zone-djokovic-federer-nadal-may-2017

I think El Dude would appreciate these stats.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good stuff, although nothing surprising. As expected, Rafa on clay is better than Novak or Roger on any surface, but Novak and Roger are both better on hards and grass than Rafa is. Roger is clearly best on grass, but hards is too close to call - Novak has the better %, but he also hasn't been in decline very long, so his % is due to come down. I think overall they are about equal on hards. Also, I'd give Novak an edge on clay, but only over the last 5ish years. Back in Roger's prime years, he was pretty good on clay.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I personally believe Roger was better for longer on clay as compared to Novak. Interesting that Roger is still the only player to have won at least ten titles across all three surfaces in his career. I was thinking Nole might be closer, but he will have to win at least six more titles to join Federer in that special column. Rafa needs seven more on grass to do so.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's a nice little stat, shawn. I was wondering if Novak won the bulk of his clay titles after Rafa started declining in 2014, but he only won 4 of 13 after 2014 RG. In fact, part of the reason I see Novak as a superior clay player to Novak overall, is that he actually held his own against Rafa on clay: he is 7-14 overall vs Rafa on clay, including 7-5 since 2011.