Balkan Folk

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
You seem to really like Gypsy music, Mastoor.

As for Slobodan Trkulja, he studied at Conservatorium van Amsterdam, but he was a self taught music prodigy, who played 13 instruments before he even enrolled in that music school. Nebo (heavens) is one of my favourite songs, so uplifting. I also love Aksentijevic. I guess spiritual music appeals to me.:)

Reactions: teddytennisfan

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I only like around a dozen songs by Saban, some by Sikica and also some by Ljiljana Petrovic.

I didn't know about Trkulja til the other day when I came across some of his videos and I thought it was interesting.

It would be nice if Teddy created a thread about music from Philippines to educate us about it. One of my favourite pianists Cecil Licad is from there.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I was about to start with Macedonian ones, but I was thinking to find more originally sounding videos rather than Leb i sol.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was about to start with Macedonian ones, but I was thinking to find more originally sounding videos rather than Leb i sol.

Mastoor -- MACEDONIANS -- I ONLY REALLY became more familiar of them as a 'country' because of recent decades' events from u know who masters of the universe --

and from NOLE mentioning them when he called for tennis world to try and help during the great flood in late winter last 2013...that swept across serbia and macedonia...

and after offering his MADRID TITLE entire earnings to the cause -- he asked everhyone and said

"please help -- and please don't forget our brothers and sisters in macedonia".

what is the story of your peoples -- i mean the nationality : serbian and nationality macedonian?

it has somethign to do with that you are in direct geogrpahical proximity to the greek and the orthodox roots that way?

just a side little note:

i was so curious about finding out more about serbia since years ago - and just wanted to understand NOLE more...and the stories from troicki, ana I, etc...

i was just following links and ''travel and geography'' stuff -- and

somehow wanted to check on MY home country - philippines -- about what's going on THERE -
and i stumbled across a beautiful blog -- with gorgeous, gorgeous pictures of the philippines that i never even KNEW - PARTICULARLY in my big southern island origin mindanao where foreigners are often warned NOT to go to due to ''muslims" (which really are CIA/Wahhab/saudi supported SINCE the 1950's - but NOT the ordinary muslims who actually hate these terrorists - same as with ISIL) -

AND i found that blog (can't remember it though)

by a traveler there - a young woman from SERBIA!!! oh m god!

i was so shocked - because of how she wrote with such appreciation and what great care she did with her pictures .

so far away -- so alien cultures - and yet there was this bold serbian girl traveling and sharing her memories of her travels there.

i wish i remembered .

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
strategic-culture.org
How the Balkans’ «European Dream» Collides with Their Vital Interests
or-38115.jpg

It is not often in the tension-ridden European Union that politicians on different sides of the political barricades express solidarity on key issues. And it would be difficult to find more radical opponents in the EU than the governments of Hungary and Germany. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has repeatedly accused Berlin of trying to profit from the debt crisis at the expense of economies in Central and Eastern Europe, of imposing solutions to the migration problem that are detrimental to European civilisation, and of simply pursuing absolute predominance in Europe. He also recalled how German tanks flattened Hungarian land during World War Two.

The German government has given as good as it got, accusing Orban of authoritarianism, dictatorial ambitions, suppressing democratic freedoms, and undermining EU unity.

The upcoming elections in Germany are forcing German politicians to recognise the truth, however. What’s more, the crisis in the European Union has reached such proportions that it can no longer be boiled down to Orban’s scheming. German Minister for Foreign Affairs Frank-Walter Steinmeier is already being forced to deliver gloomy forecasts. In an interview with the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, he stated that the European Union could collapse if it does not take urgent action.

According to Steinmeier, supporters of a ‘united Europe’ need to radically revise their strategy and, in particular, abandon such increasingly irritating slogans as ‘Eternal peace on the continent’ and ‘Europe does not have an alternative’. «The financial crisis, the wave of refugees into Europe, and the shock of the British referendum have pushed Europe into serious turbulence», said Steinmeier. He believes that the leaders of right-wing parties and movements in Europe have understood voter concerns well and used the errors in Brussels’ policies to win votes. The German Minister for Foreign Affairs is convinced that: «If we ourselves do not appreciate the value of the EU, it will collapse».

Moreover, Social Democrat Steinmeier is not even trying to hide the internal political (pre-election) reasons underlying his statements, noting that his department is planning to carry out a series of consultations «with all interested parties» in the country between October 2016 and March 2017.

And at exactly the same time as the people of Germany were reading the interview with their Minister for Foreign Affairs, the people of Hungary were discussing Viktor Orban’s powerful speech to his compatriots at a ceremony in Budapest to mark the 60th anniversary of the tragic events of 1956. Like Frank-Walter Steinmeier, he also talked of the serious threat hanging over the European Union, but he did not link it to the growing popularity of right-wing parties, but to what he referred to as the growing «Sovietisation» of the European Union.

Orban suggested that he was not referring to the activities of European communist parties when he talked of the «Sovietisation» of the European Union, but to the desire of Brussels to rob European states of their independence in making political decisions (like «under the Soviets».) The people responsible for this «Sovietization», said Orban, are those in the European Union «who want to tell us who we should live with in our countries».

«We want to be a European nation, not a nationality within Europe», stressed Viktor Orban, adding that «there is no free Europe without nation states and thousands of years of wisdom from Christianity».

The Hungarian prime minister’s message was met with support from Polish President Andrzej Duda, who was at the ceremony. «You can count on Poland, we march together in the toughest moments. Two countries which were built on Christian foundations and are now free in the unified Europe», Duda said.

The threats spoken of by Steinmeier and Orban, albeit very differently, are being particularly felt in the Balkan States. The countries in this region, having placed rapid integration into the EU at the top of their foreign policy priorities, are now being forced to follow Brussels even when it comes to their own security. This also applies to their policies with regard to Russia, with whom virtually every Balkan country has developed ties going back centuries. Yet neither historical experience, nor present-day bilateral agreement projects, including in the energy sphere, are preventing countries like Montenegro and Albania from following the path marked out by Brussels. Joining the EU’s decision to extend sanctions against Russia has shown this once again, providing Russia with yet more proof of the Albanian and Montenegrin governments’ lack of independence.

At the same time, the Balkan countries’ range of foreign policy priorities cannot just focus on Brussels. And while even Montenegro and Albania’s economic interests are taking a back seat in their desire to please the Council of the European Union, the aspirations of another country to join the EU, Serbia, are based on the need to strengthen its security, including through political and military cooperation with Russia. At the very time the EU was agreeing to the possibility of extending its anti-Russian policy, the first ever joint Russian-Serbian military air exercises, known as ‘BARS-2016’, began in Serbia. Their aim is to develop methods for the interception of air targets, tactical strikes against ground targets, landing operations, and search and rescue support with a view to conducting joint anti-terrorist operations. Russian MiG-29 fighter jets and Mi-8 helicopters, in which there is still much interest in the Balkans (and not just the Balkans), make up the core of the aircraft involved in the exercises.

At present, the attitude of EU member states towards the European Union as a supranational bureaucratic institution with its own particular corporate interests is complicated and extremely ambiguous. This requires that all high-level politicians, including Balkan ones, define their interests and preferences more responsibly. Even while maintaining confidence in a European Union that essentially no longer exists.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i WANT SERBIA AND THE BALKAN peoples to ''come closer" TO THE EAST -- ''we" are your people you should be exploring the world with!!

by the time the SILK ROADS of china - crisscrossing the supercontinent is laid down even more -- the high-speed infrastructures -- with the integration with Russia-led 'Eurasian Economic Union"

the coming together of Shanghai Cooperation Council - that includes

common security, economic development, and political convergence while founded upon SOVEREIGNTY and equality - -big or small country in having voices --

SERBIA -- i want your people to be the VANGUARD in the ''western" borders of the superlandmass of the orient!

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I wanted this to be about music, not politics, but you managed to turn it that way.

As for Macedonians, Christians from Asia who I met, know where Macedonia is because it is mentioned in Bible, so i when they ask me where Serbia is, I tell them it borders with macedonia and they all nod in understanding "A-a-a-a-a!"

Also, when in old times Russian leaders wrote to Serbs they tend to end their letters with "Be brave like your ancestor Alexander Macedonian." There are still many Russians who believe Alexander the Great was a Serb.

I don't know about Asia, but I know Serbia will never be a part of EU, that is because we don't want there, they don't want us there and it is against the nature for Serbs to wish to live in the same country or whatever EU is with Germans and Croats.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wanted this to be about music, not politics, but you managed to turn it that way.

As for Macedonians, Christians from Asia who I met, know where Macedonia is because it is mentioned in Bible, so i when they ask me where Serbia is, I tell them it borders with macedonia and they all nod in understanding "A-a-a-a-a!"

Also, when in old times Russian leaders wrote to Serbs they tend to end their letters with "Be brave like your ancestor Alexander Macedonian." There are still many Russians who believe Alexander the Great was a Serb.

I don't know about Asia, but I know Serbia will never be a part of EU, that is because we don't want there, they don't want us there and it is against the nature for Serbs to wish to live in the same country or whatever EU is with Germans and Croats.

ok -- i'll put these ''geopolitics'' stuff in that other post or thread i made - about russia/serbia .

==================

but in terms of culture and ethnicity and history then -- serbians as a people are related to the macedonians who would be related to greeks or something like that? -- mainly serbians as a people are NOT descended or related to - say -- 'northern' nordic type, germanic type peoples?

that's where i am trying to clarify my understanding some more.
i mean -- based on generally understood history of the ''spread'' of humans from africa and their subsequent ''divergence" according to the different climate and environemnt conditions over thousands of years --

the balkans, greece, do seem to have been the conduit from both the ''south" through the middle east -- and from the other route from central asia - with its own particular other offshoots to india, china, russia north and through the balkans , or around the black sea lands north and south --

europe - the west - was eventually reached (and met up with the neandherthals who were displaced but who themselves were just earlier ''proto-humans" --displaced by later migration from the south and east. - and then to become much of today's 'european west".
\
to me -- it seems that the cultural-ethnic, -racial binds are far, far older than even our ''post-bronze" age eras...with very old 'memories' one might say of the earliest humans that spread ''north-west" and it trickles down right to what today are the 'national identities" -- such as in dances, in music, in thought , values etc...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Teddy, Macedonia was also part of Yugoslavia, so most of them speak Serbian, even though they do have their own language, which we can understand most of the time. They do have mix of nationalities there.

This is a famous Macedonian song: Jovano, Jovanke (which is also a female Serbian name). This version is sung by a young Macedonian singer, who was very popular in this whole region, who sang songs in Serbian as well, who unfortunately was killed in a car accident few years back - Tose Proeski. The female singer is my namesake, who is a Serbian singer:

Translation of the song:

Jovano, Jovanke,
you sit by the Vardar river,
bleaching your white linen,
bleaching your white linen, my dear,
looking at the hills. (X2)

Jovano, Jovanke,
I'm waiting for you
to come to my home,
and you don't come, my dear,
my heart, Jovano. (X2)

Jovano, Jovanke,
your mother
doesn't let you
come with me, my dear,
my heart, Jovano. (X2)

Reactions: Mastoor

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Another very popular Macedonian song, and by which my 4-year cousin named me when I was born (as my dad told him: you pick the name for the baby) LOL

I can't find the translation, but this is the plot of the song and it seems that this girl changes her mind about boys quickly LOL

A young girl, Biljana, is washing linen as a dowry for her upcoming wedding at a spring of the Ohrid Lake. A group of vintners soon come and are charmed by her beauty. They try to impress her with their riches, but she does not find them appealing. To common surprise (and in conflict with the original intent to marry someone else), she falls for a young man riding their carriage and tells them that she likes him. The group of men agree that it is time for the young man to find a bride, and so, they agree to let the youth's love blossom. The love was carried on by the waters of the source.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
to me -- it seems that the cultural-ethnic, -racial binds are far, far older than even our ''post-bronze" age eras...with very old 'memories' one might say of the earliest humans that spread ''north-west" and it trickles down right to what today are the 'national identities" -- such as in dances, in music, in thought , values etc...

Balkan is the cradle of European white man, Serbia in particular and by chance proximity of Belgrade as its centre.

British archeologists have been killing themselves to prove that everything was brought to Serbia from Middle East in those old days but it was all the other way around. In waves, they were exporting culture from Balkans all the way to India, for thousands of years even before Alexander the Great. You can see 100% pure iron in India, but in Serbia as well, just couple of thousands of years older to give you an example.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is interesting version of another Macedonian folk song called Kales bre Andjo (Dark tanned Angie)

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Another Macedonian Aber dojdi Donke:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Uci me majko (Teach me mother). I'll post better version of this if I find it, because there are some spectacular ones.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is better version than the one above even though the singer is not as good, but notice how he made the rhythm interesting

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So you don't think everything is sad (White face I kiss)

Macedonian girl

i like this music...and musical structure of the duet with its asymetrical meter (5/4, or 7/4 rather than the very common 4-4 in western folk music) is very nice. wow.

i am always reminded of those short moments when nole was newer as ''a top player' and i always thought that as he would do some dance steps for the crowd -- he was actually dancing AS A serbian...but that the crowds probably never really realized.

Last edited: