Balkan Folk

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is fife master Bora Dugic (I think the instrument is called fife in English)

Reactions: teddytennisfan

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is considered the best folk song from balkans which is called Zajdi, zajdi ( means "Set the Sun"). First you get a rock version :

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is what Serbian folk dances look like, they call them kolo. In the first video around 4:50 the start dancing Trojansko kolo (Trojanac) which means Trojan dance:

This is what most famous Serbian dance sounds like. it is called Uzicko kolo:

This is example of a different dances, these are Wallahy, which is ethnicity from eastern Serbia. They have customs that well predate Christianity:

Here you get another Walahy dance, but with bagpipes that are played in Balkans as well:

Last edited:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Now something different. During WWI after initially winning against Austria-Hungary and Bulgarians, it was too much for them when German armies came to Balkans,so they had to withdraw from Serbia (and then from Europe) in 1915 and this is a song about the exile, but see who is singing - Russian Kozaks:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's some folk music from Serbia and around it for @teddytennisfan

this is all so GREAT! THANK YOU MASTOOR for creating this folder!!!

it's so 'exotic' when for someone that is not from you region and people...but it just the same strikes at the heart even when i can't understand your language of course.
i was watching a few years ago these old documentaries - maybe from the 60's of the dances of the region and with the explanations what they also meant - about the fathers talking about their son and daughter to introduce them if they might fall in love , marriage arrangements of course , but the way they go through the ''proposals" by one family with another and then the young man and woman ''sizing'' each other up if they will agree to marry...-- so nice to learn about...

Reactions: Mastoor

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now something different. During WWI after initially winning against Austria-Hungary and Bulgarians, it was too much for them when German armies came to Balkans,so they had to withdraw from Serbia (and then from Europe) in 1915 and this is a song about the exile, but see who is singing - Russian Kozaks:

is this why i hear ''adjilim"...'shto?
i heard so much of that among the russians in st petersburg - like you told me most of them when theys peak slavic -- or russian - it is really serbian.?

wow!! you truly must be the 'same people" or family. and that kind of singing -- i heard that in our group ferry outing on the big Neva River when i was there..someone just brought his guitar and they all started singing with THAT kind of musical style (and i am a musician so i identify these musical characteristics easily).

Reactions: Billie and Mastoor

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is what Serbian folk dances look like, they call them kolo. In the first video around 4:50 the start dancing Trojansko kolo (Trojanac) which means Trojan dance:

This is example of a different dances, these are Wallahy, which is ethnicity from eastern Serbia. They have customs that well predate Christianity:

serbia looks like you have so many beautiful mountains and valleys! i was watching those kinds of documentaries long ago..just like that.

Here you get another Walahy dance, but with bagpipes that are played in Balkans as well:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

i'm jealous of those shirts without high collars and nice embroidery the men are wearing. !!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

the dance UZICKO KOLO reminds me why i sometimes thought when nole does lilttle ''dance moves" after matches -- he must be thinking of your dances...

although i am from far away in the philippines -- i remember i loved learning dances like that in elementary and highschool that my mom taught us about cultures. she said it was from the slavic peoples. something like that.

Reactions: Billie and Mastoor

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

i borrowed your links adn this thread and pasted it in another website i frequent...

but more to CORRECT the tile of the article -- that russia/slavic lands are NOT ''WESTERN" culture...but a completely self-contained different and independent world, lol..

RUSSIA INSIDER
http://russia-insider.com/en/politi...nd-western-culture/ri16282#comment-2878414862
hehe.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
this is all so GREAT! THANK YOU MASTOOR for creating this folder!!!

it's so 'exotic' when for someone that is not from you region and people...but it just the same strikes at the heart even when i can't understand your language of course.
i was watching a few years ago these old documentaries - maybe from the 60's of the dances of the region and with the explanations what they also meant - about the fathers talking about their son and daughter to introduce them if they might fall in love , marriage arrangements of course , but the way they go through the ''proposals" by one family with another and then the young man and woman ''sizing'' each other up if they will agree to marry...-- so nice to learn about...

Serbian music and that of our immediate neighbours may sound exotic to us too for several reasons.

First of all, it often sounds so ancient as if it is from many thousand years ago, so it is actually mystique.

Secondly, that Byzantine sound that is sometimes present, must sound exotic to everyone because it obviously influenced oriental music.

Thirdly, many musicians are Gypsies who were traveling to Orient and back bringing Oriental elements.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
is this why i hear ''adjilim"...'shto?
i heard so much of that among the russians in st petersburg - like you told me most of them when theys peak slavic -- or russian - it is really serbian.?

wow!! you truly must be the 'same people" or family. and that kind of singing -- i heard that in our group ferry outing on the big Neva River when i was there..someone just brought his guitar and they all started singing with THAT kind of musical style (and i am a musician so i identify these musical characteristics easily).

I don't know what you mean, they do sing this song in Serbian even though they are Russians. There's a version in Greek and some other languages.

I tell you something else interesting about the song. It is what Tesla ordered to be played on his funeral.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
i borrowed your links adn this thread and pasted it in another website i frequent...

but more to CORRECT the tile of the article -- that russia/slavic lands are NOT ''WESTERN" culture...but a completely self-contained different and independent world, lol..

RUSSIA INSIDER
http://russia-insider.com/en/politi...nd-western-culture/ri16282#comment-2878414862
hehe.

No, who has ever said we are Western. It is much much more true that the Westerners' origin is largely from (beyond) Russia.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Ok I'll continue with showing the varieties and there are many more in hope it may interest you or someone else. When i finish I'll post videos of some folk pieces I considered the best or the most interesting.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what you mean, they do sing this song in Serbian even though they are Russians. There's a version in Greek and some other languages.

I tell you something else interesting about the song. It is what Tesla ordered to be played on his funeral.

is that song sad? the music of course is sad...but if it was sung with the words i mean...it was his funeral but if he asked for it -- it must have been about something hopeful..the 'shto and other sound -- i was just wondering if they were syllables in the song in the other video...and i was hearing syllables like that in russian...

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
is that song sad? the music of course is sad...but if it was sung with the words i mean...it was his funeral but if he asked for it -- it must have been about something hopeful..the 'shto and other sound -- i was just wondering if they were syllables in the song in the other video...and i was hearing syllables like that in russian...

I think I explained above that when in 1915 German army came to Balkans it was too much for Serbian armies to battle all the Austro-Hungarian, Bulgarian and German armies so they withdrew from Serbia and eventually from Europe and then they collected them in Egypt from where in 1917 they returned to Balkans. The song is about those soldiers who were away from Serbia from 1915 to 1917.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Lets continue with Serbian folk music varieties. We have many brass orchestras that are normally up to 10 musicians sometimes little larger often smaller, but on this occasion they collected 100 of them in one orchestra. In this example they play chochek which is a dance from Southern Serbia, so you'll notice obvious difference to kolo like Uzicko which is couple of hundreds kms to the North. In the video you'll see that many people are pale, they are likely to be mainstream Serbs. Others have dark tan and they are Serbian Gypsies. Their ancestors came to Balkans from India true Middle East (Iran or where-ever Farsi was spoken) probably in 13c.

Last edited:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Speaking about Gypsies they were presumably lower cast of musicians and the best of them would be considered Romano Raj which means Gypsy King. Last one I've heard of was Shaban Bajramovich. he was so famous around the world that he was invited to sing for both Nehru and later his daughter Indira who were presumably of the same or similar ethnicity. Here is Shaban singing Djelem, Djelem, unofficial anthem of Gypsies. The lyrics were written by one of famous Gypsies Ivanovich who assumed that the melody which is "from old times" was composed by Gypsies from Belgrade. it talks about horrible destiny of their people during WW2.