Assange arrested

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
...as you all probably know already.

I have this creepy habit of following both CNN and Foxnews and sometimes they both play the same disgusting tune. Both used the "sexual assault" allegations to justify the arrest, and basically pretend ignorance that they were dropped years ago (as they were completely void). Foxnews said that they could not know for sure why he was arrested because "it appears that those accusations were dropped", while CNN started their piece citing those accusations, just to add a quick and silent caption on the bottom of the screen at the end of the piece saying that the accusations were latter dropped.

Everyone who occasionally follows the news (including both CNN and Fox) already read or heard that the guy is being arrested for ignoring the court order, originated by the accusation later dropped. Once arrested, he can be extradited. Those are the simple, well known and published facts, that speak by themselves. Those two are basically propaganda outlets and we are occasionally reminded of it in very disgusting ways.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I have this creepy habit of following both CNN and Foxnews and sometimes they both play the same disgusting tune. Both used the "sexual assault" allegations to justify the arrest, and basically pretend ignorance that they were dropped years ago (as they were completely void). Foxnews said that they could not know for sure why he was arrested because "it appears that those accusations were dropped", while CNN started their piece citing those accusations, just to add a quick and silent caption on the bottom of the screen at the end of the piece saying that the accusations were latter dropped.

Everyone who occasionally follows the news (including both CNN and Fox) already read or heard that the guy is being arrested for ignoring the court order, originated by the accusation later dropped. Once arrested, he can be extradited. Those are the simple, well known and published facts, that speak by themselves. Those two are basically propaganda outlets and we are occasionally reminded of it in very disgusting ways.

Yeah, I've just been watching that on Youtube. CNN and Fox are both piss poor. I laughed the other day watching a CNN video explaining Brexit and of course, they implied it was done with Russian Interference. They are so bad.

As for Assange - yeah, it's a circus. The Guardian published a lot of the same stuff. We all know where Assange is going... to Good ole Uncle Sam. The whole thing is a joke.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions

Yeah! I just heard about that on the science forum I'm on. It makes a change from the news about the black hole they found out about the other day. It's fascinating hearing about the new black hole but 3 days talking about it is too long.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I've just been watching that on Youtube. CNN and Fox are both piss poor. I laughed the other day watching a CNN video explaining Brexit and of course, they implied it was done with Russian Interference. They are so bad.

As for Assange - yeah, it's a circus. The Guardian published a lot of the same stuff. We all know where Assange is going... to Good ole Uncle Sam. The whole thing is a joke.
I agree that media outlets have a way of colouring the news in a way that promotes their biases. But....

if Assange was a whitting disseminator of Russian election interference then he has a case to answer. It's notable that he never publishes any news critical of Russia, so perhaps Pompeo is correct and he is in effect running a non-state intelligence outfit.

And as for Brexit and Russian interference, there is evidence of that. But gawd forbid the British government damage the high prices of central London properties by doing something about it!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah! I just heard about that on the science forum I'm on. It makes a change from the news about the black hole they found out about the other day. It's fascinating hearing about the new black hole but 3 days talking about it is too long.
It's not long enough. Frankly that is one of the most seismic discoveries in recent decades and there have been a lot of advances in scientific knowledge. This is further proof that Einstein's theory of general relativity is correct

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
It's not long enough. Frankly that is one of the most seismic discoveries in recent decades and there have been a lot of advances in scientific knowledge. This is further proof that Einstein's theory of general relativity is correct
It's not long enough if you're going into all the details. However, 3 days just coming up with the news & not going into details as to how they found out about this new black hole exactly, etc. is too long in my opinion. I agree with everything else you're saying though.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The Post is saying that he was arrested on behalf of US authorities. I wonder what Trump thinks about

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree that media outlets have a way of colouring the news in a way that promotes their biases. But....

if Assange was a whitting disseminator of Russian election interference then he has a case to answer. It's notable that he never publishes any news critical of Russia, so perhaps Pompeo is correct and he is in effect running a non-state intelligence outfit.

And as for Brexit and Russian interference, there is evidence of that. But gawd forbid the British government damage the high prices of central London properties by doing something about it!

The CNN focus was on Farage... that was the basis of their Russian links... namely because he said Putin was a strong leader and didn't think sanctions would have the desired effect.

Assange has addressed the point of Russia in the past. He doesn't get anything like the volume of leaks and his target audience doesn't understand Russian. Remember, Wikileaks isn't creating news... they are leaking raw data.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

My original point is that both networks I cited were deliberated and consciously distorting (CNN) or omitting/falsifying (fox) known information. If you wanna argue that they have some moral room to do that, that's another matter (I do not agree, but that is not the point).

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
My original point is that both networks I cited were deliberated and consciously distorting (CNN) or omitting/falsifying (fox) known information. If you wanna argue that they have some moral room to do that, that's another matter (I do not agree, but that is not the point).
Not at all. I 100% agree with your original point. I just responded to some of the extraneous points that were raised afterwards

Reactions: mrzz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The CNN focus was on Farage... that was the basis of their Russian links... namely because he said Putin was a strong leader and didn't think sanctions would have the desired effect.

Assange has addressed the point of Russia in the past. He doesn't get anything like the volume of leaks and his target audience doesn't understand Russian. Remember, Wikileaks isn't creating news... they are leaking raw data.
that is a weak sauce excuse :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If he was in an embassy for more than an year in UK and if they knew it, why did it take so long to get him. It is not that they did not have info on where he was. It looks to me that before they did not have the will and now suddenly they got the will. What is the reason for the change?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If he was in an embassy for more than an year in UK and if they knew it, why did it take so long to get him. It is not that they did not have info on where he was. It looks to me that before they did not have the will and now suddenly they got the will. What is the reason for the change?
An embassy is sovereign territory. There are United Nations conventions that would be breached if they had violated Ecuadorian territory

Reactions: britbox

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

As Federberg put above embassy is sovereign territory. What changed is that Ecuador dropped the asylum that was being given to Assange. Interestingly enough Ecuador's current president is very present on a batch of corruption related documents published by wikileaks.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^It is so refreshing to see a fair and balanced piece of reporting...

The mention to the shit on the wall was priceless. Oh, but wait, they do say that they cannot confirm that :lol6:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The cynic might say that the IMF's 4.2 billion loan to Ecuador last month could have had a few strings attached :)
the only problem with that train of thought is that Trump would have had to sanction that type of backdoor deal. This is not really in his interests

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Strangely enough CNN suddenly published an reasonably balanced piece on Assange (at least for their standards)... finally mentioning that Wikileaks brought to light a lot of evidence of corruption in Ecuador. The sudden change of tone is quite interesting. Negotiations are surely taking place. Hope Assange and Wikileaks have a lot of shit stored as leverage...