2019 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Two ATP Cup Host Cities Named For 2020 - Sydney and Brisbane were selected Monday to host the inaugural ATP Cup men's team event in January 2020.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wondering how everyone feels about this event. Isn't this the thing that is pushing out Hopman Cup?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Think I preferred keeping the Hopman and Davis Cups as is. This new cup seems more to be a power struggle thing between the ATP and ITF.
Do you mean that ATP is muscling out the ITP, and by virtue of that, the women?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Two ATP Cup Host Cities Named For 2020 - Sydney and Brisbane were selected Monday to host the inaugural ATP Cup men's team event in January 2020.

This is kind of expected. We already knew it is going to be in Australia. Considering AO is in Melbourne, they picked the other notable cities.
I am presuming that this is going to be a two week long event that is split between Sydney and Brisbane (and thus also leaving intact, the
current tourneys in these two cities).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I posted the message before actually seeing the video. They say it is a 10 day event and will be played in three cities (including another unnamed city).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I posted the message before actually seeing the video. They say it is a 10 day event and will be played in three cities (including another unnamed city).
I think Perth is likely to be city no.3 and they are probably waiting for the Hopman Cup to either announce relocation, rescheduling or disbandment.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Perth is likely to be city no.3 and they are probably waiting for the Hopman Cup to either announce relocation, rescheduling or disbandment.
An interest point about Perth that I glean from the NYT article I posted in the Hopman Cup thread...that Western Australia and Perth have been very invested in having a tennis tournament there, give how far they are from another large city. I'd say you're right that if Hopman Cup doesn't stay in that spot and slot, that there will be a lot of political interest in having some tennis there, so ATP.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An interest point about Perth that I glean from the NYT article I posted in the Hopman Cup thread...that Western Australia and Perth have been very invested in having a tennis tournament there, give how far they are from another large city. I'd say you're right that if Hopman Cup doesn't stay in that spot and slot, that there will be a lot of political interest in having some tennis there, so ATP.

I read that article and it was good. Perth is pretty much nailed on to be the host I think. They've spent quite a bit of tourism budget cash on tennis and they've also got a shiny new arena to fill.

9f01f7d147fc5671150c3301841ad6a6.jpg

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Wow, Nagal just lost to an unknown player from Taipei, bagelled in the third!

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
There is another interesting point about Perth that not everyone knows. When Perth is mentioned everyone thinks of Perth in Australia (which is the 1 you're talking about in this instance) but there is a Perth in Scotland. It's a beautiful city, county town of Perthshire. That's the same as some other places too. E.G. When people speak of Washington other people think they're talking about Washington in America but there is a Washington in the North of England near Durham & Newcastle. Talking about Durham, I think the same can be said about Durham which was the pink panther's favourite place because his music went "Durham, Durham, Durham, Durham, Durham". Well, it sounded like that anyway. Lol.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, Gasquet"ll undergo an inguinal hernia's surgery next monday. I wish him a fast recovery

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone else pick up that Gael Monfils and Elina Svitolina are apparently dating?

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
can't wait to see Delpo back, I miss him a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.