2017 World Figure Skating Championships

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I just looked up results in Helsinki! What's going on? Fernández and Medvedeva were leading after the Short Programs, but the rest of the results were shocking outside of Chan in 3rd place! Caught it today and Medvedeva took the ladies' event! Looking forward to the guys tomorrow afternoon!

I haven't paid much attention since last '14 Olympics in Sochi! I had no idea the men had finally taken the sport to new heights with jumps I thought would eventually cripple these poor kids! When I was growing up, you weren't allowed to even attempt triples as a junior; now they're pushing 12 year old girls to perform regulation 4 min. LP's! I still SMH from about 20 years ago; I believe it was Trophy Lalique! The spoils were usually split evenly among the top skaters and this event was obviously already relegated to Maria Butyrskaya! Jennie Kirk couldn't have been more than 16; a petite little thing like Tara L. of old! She not only performed well, it was flawless, ending on a triple Lutz! Not even a pro skater does such a thing on tired legs! Maria was her usual stiff self, held onto a couple landings, and probably hit the ice at least once! She not only took the gold, Jennie was relegated to BRONZE! She wasn't established yet; probably her 1st Int'l event since Michelle Kwan usually just did Skate America and Canada! It's one of the reasons FS is still hard to watch! Even with the new scoring system, it's still one of the shadiest Int'l sports! :puzzled :nono :cover - - - - - - https://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/10/fan-page-evgeni-plushenko.html - - - - -

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry I missed this, Fiero. When I was young, Torville and Dean were the great superstars of ice dancing. Their Bolero still brings chills, while simultaneously steaming up the windows. They were artistic and dramatic. Are you saying that nowadays that kinda beauty has been replaced by macho gymnastics on ice?

I suppose the scoring system is always open to abuse, right?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Sorry I missed this, Fiero. When I was young, Torville and Dean were the great superstars of ice dancing. Their Bolero still brings chills, while simultaneously steaming up the windows. They were artistic and dramatic. Are you saying that nowadays that kinda beauty has been replaced by macho gymnastics on ice?

I suppose the scoring system is always open to abuse, right?

For the most part; apart from Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan who's more graceful than many of the women! He does great spins, spirals, and his "Ina Bauer" just brings a lump to my throat! Hanyu has all the jumps, but his connecting steps and footwork set him apart from the other "jumping jacks!" I missed when the men went from 1 quad to being "Mexican jumping beans" doing 3, 4, & 5 of them in a long program! All (Lutz, Loop, Flip, Salchow, & Toe) have been elevated to Quads except the Axel which is still just a triple! - https://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/10/fan-page-evgeni-plushenko.html -

- - [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMms5JKZM8g[/video] - -

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Makes my head dizzy watching. So much control and excellence. I remember being at the ice rink in Central Park a few years ago, the missus thought it'd be a great New Yawk Moment to skid around for a few laps, throw some shapes then easily slide to the side and allow the next bunch of slackjaws a go. Sheesh, from the start it was horrible. First I almost twisted my ankle at the entrance to the rink, then I slid and gripped a hold of some girls "bits" on the way down to halt my fall. She then fell over instead of me and I somehow toppled gracelessly towards the barrier and held on for dear life, before trying to discern which way was safest and most dignified to get the heck outta there! :laydownlaughing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murat Baslamisli Other Sports 58
britbox Other Sports 280
kskate2 Other Sports 27
kskate2 Other Sports 242
kskate2 Other Sports 229