2017 ATP General News

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
CNN has a nice article titled, 2017 an year of comebacks in tennis. Too many players are coming back (in both ATP and WTA) after being MIA for a while, although due to various reasons.

1. Fed coming back from knee injury.
2. Rafa coming back from wrist (?) injury.
3. Novak coming back from extra curricular activities.
4. Kyrgios coming back from suspension by ATP.
5. Serena coming back from heart injury.
6. Maria coming back from Meldonium Saga.
7. Vika coming back from child birth.
8. Bencic coming back from (back?) injury.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: 2016 ATP General News

Del Potro is definitely out of Oz, unfortunately... :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Andy Murray is now Sir Andy Murray, in the New Years Honours List. :clap :clap :clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Andy Murray is now Sir Andy Murray, in the New Years Honours List. :clap :clap :clap

I thought they would wait until he retires before knighting him.

I believe this is the highest honor that can be bestowed on Andy by OBE. Is that correct?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

I thought they would wait until he retires before knighting him.

I believe this is the highest honor that can be bestowed on Andy by OBE. Is that correct?

I think that's as high as he can go. There maybe some higher awards, but I don't know them. And yeah, I would have thought they'd wait til he's retired. I mean, he deserves it, if anyone does, but usually they'd wait and make sure there's no skeletons in the sporting cupboard first. Look at the cyclist Bradley Wiggins, they gave him the same honour and I think now he's been wholly discredited...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Roger talking about how he got the injury, post surgery, his worst matches loses and also his biggest win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebeMtxwdAVc#action=share

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The Australian Open junior champ Oliver Anderson has been charged with betting offences:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/01/05/australian-open-junior-champion-oliver-anderson-charged-match/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
"In the last years the average age of the tennis players went up. Stan Wawrinka will turn 32 in March while Roger Federer will be 36 years old in August. Novak Djokovic will join the '30' club in May, but he isn't thinking about the retirement at all.

In press conference after the match against Fernando Verdasco, the World No. 2 was asked if he could still be on tour aged 40. 'Why not? You're going to see a lot of me in the future', Djokovic said.

On Thursday he faced the 38-year-old Radek Stepanek, who recently said that wants to play for a few more years. Djokovic had said that he is 'excited' about Stepanek's longevity. 'It shows me that I can have as long a career as he has. If he can do it, I can do it, too.'

Would be interesting for sure. Even more so if Roger hung around till he was 40 also.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Novak_Djokovic/39509/novak-djokovic-is-without-limit-i-could-play-until-i-m-40-/

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I recently put together a ranking chart of every #1 player according to TennisBase.com, for all of tennis history (from 1877 to the present). One of the most interesting takeaways was how the age of greats had changed over time. Players remained elite for much older before the Open Era, especially the further back you go. Consider...

*Bill Tilden is well known. Born in 1893, according to TB he was #1 in 1932 at the age of 39 and #2 as late as 1935 when he was 42. He remained a top 20 player until 1945, at the age of 52!

*Josiah Ritchie (b. 1870) is a forgotten great, mainly because he didn't win any Slams but won tons of other tournaments and was one of the top players of the first decade of the 20th century when he was in his 30s, the top player in the world in 1904-05 and 1908-09, according to TB. He was ranked #4 in 1920 when he was 50 years old and in the top 100 as late as 1927, when he was 57 years old!

*More recently, Pancho Gonzales (b. 1928)--the best player of the 1950s--ranked in the top 10 into his early 40s and in the top 40 through 1972, at the age of 44.

There are many more such examples of pre-Open Era players remaining top into their 40s and very good players as late as their 50s. Ken Rosewall, the last great player from the pre-Open Era won his last Slam at age 37 and was a competitive player until his mid-40s, in the late 1970s. He was the last great to be that good into his 40s, although Jimmy Connors came close a couple decades later when he finished 1992 #84 at age 40.

The tour grew much younger in the 70s and 80s, both in terms of decline and retirement age but also when players were breaking through. Think of 17-year old Slam winners Wilander, Becker, and Chang, and simply a ton of teenagers ranked in the top 100 in the 80s and early 90s. There were young Slam winners before (Rosewall won his first two at age 18 in 1953), but the age of players grew over all younger and with fewer older players. Most of the top players of the 70s-90s were retired or declined by the time they turned 30.

Now I don't think we're going back to an era where top players continue playing into their 50s, but we may be seeing elite players remain elite into their 30s more frequently, and even some playing as late as 40. Of course the question is whether a 38 year old Djokovic will be able to compete with a 28 year old Zverev or a 24 year old Aliassime. It may be that players played much longer back in the day because tennis wasn't so centralized around the ATP tour and Grand Slams like it is today. There wasn't even a proper pro tour until the 1920s, I believe, and of course the Open Era (1968) brought the amateur and pro tours together. So it could be that whatever changed the age range of players was directly because of the Open Era and the centralization of the tour.

Roger Federer has remained an elite (top 5) player into his mid-30s. Agassi was still top 10 in 2005, at age 35, reaching a Slam final (losing to Federer). Before him you have to go back to Connors, and before Connors, Rosewall and Laver in the 70s. So elite players in their mid-30s have been quite rare in the Open Era, as most have declined significantly in their early 30s or even late 20s. It seems that Andy and Novak are aging well as they are both approaching 30 and #1 and 2 in the world. What we don't know is how they'll look in two or three years, especially as it looks like there are finally some good young players coming up.

Again, I don't see why a 35-year old Novak or Andy couldn't remain a top 10 player. But the question is whether they'll be good enough to win Slams over peak Thiem, Kyrgios, Zverev, etc. Or how long Federer can remain top 5 form, or even if he can return to the top 5 at age 35-36 (he certainly looks like he can at least be top 10 for a year or two).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger is the only player in the AO draw whose ranking is the same as the number of GS's won. Just an interesting tidbit. :cool:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa interview I read earlier about on another site, summarised on tennis.com:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/rafael-nadal-talks-returning-his-unspottable-form/63339/

The most newsworthy snippet - he doesn't like either Trump, or Clinton. I can see why I love Rafa.

Also, he says "I like to win, but I love to compete," which is Rafa to the core. I remember he told an interviewer who asked him if he "refused to lose" that this wasn't how he thought, because everybody loses, but that in his mind was to resist the opponent as fiercely as possible. He's a good, realistic person, I think - happy with what he has, but ready to fight hard again on court...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL, read that and it's clearly not him speaking and all translated by an interpreter. Not one single line in that "interview" is in Nadal Engrish.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
LOL, read that and it's clearly not him speaking and all translated by an interpreter. Not one single line in that "interview" is in Nadal Engrish.

It's from a Spanish newspaper - they might have thought he was weird if he replied in English...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I realize that but they can still translate directly. Iz the true, no?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
I realize that but they can still translate directly. Iz the true, no?

Oh brother, that's actually funny! :lolz: :clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa made a good change to his schedule this year. Instead of going to South America and playing in meaningless clay tourneys, he has decided to duke it out on hard courts. He is set to play in Rotterdam 500 and Acapulco 500 in February as preparation for the North American back to back ATP 1000 tourneys of IW and Miami. Even though, this is kind of overplaying, this is much better than taking the stupid SA trip in February.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Rafa made a good change to his schedule this year. Instead of going to South America and playing in meaningless clay tourneys, he has decided to duke it out on hard courts. He is set to play in Rotterdam 500 and Acapulco 500 in February as preparation for the North American back to back ATP 1000 tourneys of IW and Miami. Even though, this is kind of overplaying, this is much better than taking the stupid SA trip in February.

It would make more sense if he was going through some real rehab, but he's back! He made a major final! He's ready and should take his medicine on the HC Masters coming up in March! If he were to go SOUTH again, I'm gonna start calling him Vilas Jr.; avoiding the tougher competition and conditions! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :cover

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Hey, we actually like to see this top dogs play once in a while... even if in recovery mode.