BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

PC / Mac Gaming
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 984
PC / Mac Gaming
Thread to discuss all things related to PC or Mac Gaming...
(This post was last modified: 04-Sep-2013 02:38 AM by britbox.)
04-Sep-2013 02:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Nekro Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 13
RE: PC / Mac Gaming
The first game is an old school pc game:
So my favourite game is Soldier of Fortune 2. It has 3 versions, the demo, the full, and the gold. The gold is almost deserted, the demo version is mostly for the underground community who are connected through MSN/skype all the time, the casual user would also find this version deserted. What you should check into is the full version (Without the gold patch). It's the best FPS/TPS shooter game imo. Now you're asking how can it be FPS/TPS at the same time. The answer is this: One of our coders was messing with the game when he found this magical command: "hash cg_thirdperson <>"
which switches the normally FPS(First person shooter) game to TPS (third person shooter). So on most servers especially in the infiltration mode of the game which is most popular you can play in both 1st/3rd person. This vid will convey the idea

The best thing about the game is that the users took full control, in case the developer stopped support for it we developed our own master server, so this game will never die like most of the games nowadays. We have our own anti-cheat which eliminates not only the wallhacks, aimbots, etc. but also some of the most known q3 engine glitches like the 333 fps (frames per second) glitch.

Apart from the game's original gaming modes like Deathmatch, capture the flag, elimination, infiltration, the users created some fun mods like Hide & Seek. You will get the idea from here:

And some unusual fun: dancing competitionBig Smile:

A very crowded cagefight i won, in cagefight you can only use AK 47 bayonet
[Image: shot0003k.jpg]

So this is what you have to do to play the game: Get the full version (1.00 not the gold one), Don't patch it with the gold patch, but go to our site: www.demobase.eu get rpm mod and fairplay anticheat from there, unpack rpm mod and put in in your sof2 folder, then fairplay.exe too, start the game with fairplay.exe. to activate 3rd person mode with the RPM mod write "/3rd" in consol (activate consol with 0) or designate a key like "bind x 3rd" in consol then you can switch with that key.

I hope you're going to enjoy this immortal game, the oldschoolers are very friendly, they will help you if you have problems...

if you need installation advice contact me Big Smile
04-Sep-2013 07:00 AM
Nekro Offline
Pro

And a short review of a modern shooter game, i focused mostly on gameplay....

Check out the US Army's free recruiting game, America's Army 3 .... It's awesome. It's the perfect combination of the modern and the old school. Those who say unreal engine is not good for multiplayer games haven't seen this game yet. The best thing is that it's not just an ordinary game, it's a simulator. The gameplay is a lot more complex than that of CoD games. For example you can steady your aim for every gun not just the sniper, if you get shot the gameplay changes according to the injury you have. If you get shot in the leg you walk more slowly, in the arm, your aim becomes more inaccurate. In case you get a critical injury one of the teammates has to treat you/bring you back from unconsciousness or immobilizing injury. So it's not the call of duty kinda "I crouch in a corner and auto-heal" Check a gameplay vid:

The maps are built very intelligently, some of them are huge and will remind the player of Arma 2, but even the small maps are so detailed that the experienced player can use the environment for tactical purposes. The guns are amazing, the nade launcher is a work of art, you can play all day with it and never get bored. It will be every player's favourite toy. Apart from multiplayer, the player can do all sorts of trainings, as you advance in rank you will get more complex trainings and better equipment. You can win all kinds of awards and medals. The game uses punkbuster anticheat, not one of these system-hogging rootkits most free shooters use, it also has inbuilt teamspeak so you only need a mike. It's great that you have to secure injured enemies bec an injured enemy can still talk through his TS.
The developers put their hearts and souls into this game, they go so often for the complex solutions and features which are hard as heck to implement it's jawdropping. Also they are improving the game and eliminating the bugs and glitches all the time. I often hear people ingame joking about the taxpayers' money being spent on a shooter game but this game's worth every $.
04-Sep-2013 07:04 AM
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 984
Thanks Nekro, I may take a look at those sometime next week. Struggle for time right now but want to get back into a bit of gaming.

Downloaded Lord of the Rings Online, but haven't had chance to check it out yet... Have you played that?
04-Sep-2013 05:15 PM
Nekro Offline
Pro

(04-Sep-2013 05:15 PM)britbox Wrote:  Thanks Nekro, I may take a look at those sometime next week. Struggle for time right now but want to get back into a bit of gaming.

Downloaded Lord of the Rings Online, but haven't had chance to check it out yet... Have you played that?
Not yet, the only games I play now from time to time are Soldier of Fortune 2, Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, all developed by Raven..... these games are very good cause they take lots of skill and you can always learn something new and some old computer buddies of mine have them too and we keep playing 1 vs 1 matches, it's funny cause we always want revenge after defeat so we can't stop playing themLay Down Laughing, they also suit us perfectly cause they are not time-consuming like rpg games for example so we can always make some minutes to playSmile
(This post was last modified: 05-Sep-2013 01:36 AM by Nekro.)
04-Sep-2013 11:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)