BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

I MISS THE USA NETWORK SHOWING THE US OPEN
uk tennis Offline
Ball Kid

Likes Given: 0
I MISS THE USA NETWORK SHOWING THE US OPEN
hello I wanted to know if any of you tennis fans miss the usa network showing the us open, I know I do, the usa network showed all the matches from morning to night, whereas the espn network has other sport obligations and show a certain part of the open, for instance yesterday after the cbs broadcast was over and if u don't have the tennis channel, you probably wouldn't be able to see the night matches, whereas when the usa network was doing the tournament, you could see all the night matches. overall espn has other sports to show and the usa network didn't let u miss anything. now for ppl with the tennis channel you have got it made Smile
02-Sep-2013 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Star1054 Offline

RE: I MISS THE USA NETWORK SHOWING THE US OPEN
Maybe things will get a little better with the new fox sports network.

What ESPN needs (what we need is for ESPN to have) competition. Maybe in a few years the new fox sports Chanel will be bidding for the slams. And with tennis Chanel also bidding. Maybe we will start to get better coverage.
03-Sep-2013 08:46 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,899
What new Fox sports channel?
03-Sep-2013 09:09 AM
Star1054 Offline

(03-Sep-2013 09:09 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  What new Fox sports channel?

Fox sports 1. I heard about it when it was announced that Andy Roddick was going to be a commentator there. I think they also have Donovan mcnabb.

Here is a link: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsports1
03-Sep-2013 01:23 PM
djmm Offline
Experienced Lady

Likes Given: 61
Yeah, I miss the USA Network too. During the USO tennis was their main priority. There was no need to switch back-and-forth from ESPN2 / TC / CBS!!

[Image: duchessdjsupersigs-309_zpsad21820f.jpg]
03-Sep-2013 01:29 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

(03-Sep-2013 01:23 PM)Star1054 Wrote:  
(03-Sep-2013 09:09 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  What new Fox sports channel?

Fox sports 1. I heard about it when it was announced that Andy Roddick was going to be a commentator there. I think they also have Donovan mcnabb.

Here is a link: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsports1

I see. They're trying to compete w/ ESPN who has several stations (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, etc.)

Of course they're launching this new channel at the start of football season, where they will spend alot of time talking about the NFL and college ball.
03-Sep-2013 07:41 PM
Star1054 Offline

(03-Sep-2013 07:41 PM)kskate2 Wrote:  I see. They're trying to compete w/ ESPN who has several stations (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, etc.)

Of course they're launching this new channel at the start of football season, where they will spend alot of time talking about the NFL and college ball.

I'd like to think that since the hired Roddick, there are some plans for tennis coverage down the line.
04-Sep-2013 07:41 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

(04-Sep-2013 07:41 AM)Star1054 Wrote:  
(03-Sep-2013 07:41 PM)kskate2 Wrote:  I see. They're trying to compete w/ ESPN who has several stations (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, etc.)

I'd like to think that since the hired Roddick, there are some plans for tennis coverage down the line.

Probably. But it will be at the smaller events as ESPN has a lock on the slams for awhile. They just signed a contract last year to get Wimby exclusively as NBC dropped coverage after all these years. I have seen some of the champions tournaments on the original Fox Sports Net. Maybe Roddick will call those matches until he decides to play some of them.
04-Sep-2013 09:27 AM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
(04-Sep-2013 09:27 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  
(04-Sep-2013 07:41 AM)Star1054 Wrote:  

Probably. But it will be at the smaller events as ESPN has a lock on the slams for awhile. They just signed a contract last year to get Wimby exclusively as NBC dropped coverage after all these years. I have seen some of the champions tournaments on the original Fox Sports Net. Maybe Roddick will call those matches until he decides to play some of them.

I was a little surprised ESPN pulled off getting exclusive rights to the slams, until I researched who owns them: Disney. (No, that's not an early or late April Fool's Day joke.) That explains how they could outbid NBC.
(This post was last modified: 04-Sep-2013 10:24 AM by tented.)
04-Sep-2013 10:23 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Interesting indeed Tented. So ESPN exclusively owns AO and Wimby. They still share FO w/ NBC and USO w/ CBS. Bear in mind that ABC/ESPN are co-owned. For more exposure, at times you will see ESPN run a final on ABC that they have exclusive rights to (Cinci final, Wimby final, etc).
04-Sep-2013 10:48 AM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
(04-Sep-2013 10:48 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  Interesting indeed Tented. So ESPN exclusively owns AO and Wimby. They still share FO w/ NBC and USO w/ CBS. Bear in mind that ABC/ESPN are co-owned. For more exposure, at times you will see ESPN run a final on ABC that they have exclusive rights to (Cinci final, Wimby final, etc).

That's right. I forgot about ABC also being owned by Disney.
04-Sep-2013 10:53 AM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 920
(03-Sep-2013 01:29 PM)djmm Wrote:  Yeah, I miss the USA Network too. During the USO tennis was their main priority. There was no need to switch back-and-forth from ESPN2 / TC / CBS!!

Agreed.. I thought USA network did a fabulous job covering the Open. Remember the days when Vitas Gerulatias was a analyst or when Johnny Mac first cut his teeth as a commentator\analyst.. I miss those days. I get tired of the same ole ESPN Roger FedererHeartDevil Fest.
04-Sep-2013 07:18 PM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 920
(04-Sep-2013 10:53 AM)tented Wrote:  
(04-Sep-2013 10:48 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  Interesting indeed Tented. So ESPN exclusively owns AO and Wimby. They still share FO w/ NBC and USO w/ CBS. Bear in mind that ABC/ESPN are co-owned. For more exposure, at times you will see ESPN run a final on ABC that they have exclusive rights to (Cinci final, Wimby final, etc).

That's right. I forgot about ABC also being owned by Disney.

Never underestimate the power of the MOUSE, he owns everything.
04-Sep-2013 07:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes the AntiPusher's post:
Tennis Miller (09-05-2013)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)