BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

The Media
lindseywagners Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 6
The Media
It's remarkable how much trouble the media goes to in order to exaggerate on-court/on-field performances in sports. Take for instance a photo currently on ESPN.com. It's a crisp, clear shot that shows a very attractive, and very tan, Roger. The other one I've attached (from Tennis.com) is very clear and aesthetically pleasing as well. The media is utilizing these two after his win today versus Haas.

Now look at the photo that was on Tennis.com the past couple weeks (after he suffered the loses in Hamburg and Gstaad). It shows a Federer who looks like he is on his death bed (I remember someone commenting that it is just an "awful" photo of him, and it truly is).

The point is that regardless of his level of play, the media will EXAGGERATE it to where it's not even accurate.

Very silly.

Attached File(s)
.png  Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 7.10.17 PM.png (Size: 297.59 KB / Downloads: 8)
.png  Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 7.20.09 PM.png (Size: 212 KB / Downloads: 2)
.png  Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 7.24.50 PM.png (Size: 178.31 KB / Downloads: 3)
(This post was last modified: 15-Aug-2013 06:29 PM by lindseywagners.)
15-Aug-2013 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,228
RE: The Media
(15-Aug-2013 06:25 PM)lindseywagners Wrote:  It's remarkable how much trouble the media goes to in order to exaggerate on-court/on-field performances in sports. Take for instance the photo currently on ESPN.com. It's a crisp, clear shot that shows a very attractive, and very tan, Roger. The other one I've attached (from Tennis.com) is very clear and aesthetically pleasing as well. The media is utilizing these two after his win today versus Haas.

Now think about that photo that was on Tennis.com the past couple weeks (after he suffered the loses in Hamburg and Gstaad). It showed a Federer who looked like he was on his death bed ( I remember someone commenting that it was just an "awful" photo of him, and it is).

The point is that regardless of his level of play (and other athletes/teams), the media will EXAGGERATE it to where it's not even accurate.

Very silly.

Many time these outlets just use "file photos" instead of current ones. It is more
out of laziness than with exaggeration/promotion in mind.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
15-Aug-2013 06:28 PM
lindseywagners Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 6
RE: The Media
(15-Aug-2013 06:28 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  
(15-Aug-2013 06:25 PM)lindseywagners Wrote:  It's remarkable how much trouble the media goes to in order to exaggerate on-court/on-field performances in sports. Take for instance the photo currently on ESPN.com. It's a crisp, clear shot that shows a very attractive, and very tan, Roger. The other one I've attached (from Tennis.com) is very clear and aesthetically pleasing as well. The media is utilizing these two after his win today versus Haas.

Now think about that photo that was on Tennis.com the past couple weeks (after he suffered the loses in Hamburg and Gstaad). It showed a Federer who looked like he was on his death bed ( I remember someone commenting that it was just an "awful" photo of him, and it is).

The point is that regardless of his level of play (and other athletes/teams), the media will EXAGGERATE it to where it's not even accurate.

Very silly.

Many time these outlets just use "file photos" instead of current ones. It is more
out of laziness than with exaggeration/promotion in mind.

"Laziness" doesn't apply here because these photos are specifically from the tournaments he is/was playing.
15-Aug-2013 06:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)