BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Vika pulls out!
Kiu Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 370
Vika pulls out!
http://www.rogerscup.com/women/english/c...IONAL_BANK

I think she did it so she doesn't have to play too much before the USA open, anyone agree with me?
05-Aug-2013 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10sfan Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 136
RE: Vika pulls out!
I think she is injured. She was not scheduled to play in Canada and took a wild card. If she did not want to play three tournaments, she would have stayed out of the tournament instead of taking a wild card and withdrawing. Vika knows it is important to gain as many points as possible to ensure second seeding at USO. She would play if healthy. In hindsight, she should have committed to Canada and Cincy, skipping the smaller event in Carlsbad.
06-Aug-2013 12:58 AM
ozza Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 0
(06-Aug-2013 12:58 AM)10sfan Wrote:  I think she is injured. She was not scheduled to play in Canada and took a wild card. If she did not want to play three tournaments, she would have stayed out of the tournament instead of taking a wild card and withdrawing. Vika knows it is important to gain as many points as possible to ensure second seeding at USO. She would play if healthy. In hindsight, she should have committed to Canada and Cincy, skipping the smaller event in Carlsbad.

No. The reason to skip this with even the slightest niggle is there is no penalty for her skipping this. She took a wildcard, it wasn't a commitment event. If she'd skipped Carlsbad or Cincinnati she would have got/will get fined and a zero pointer, which would have hurt her more in terms of keeping the number 2 ranking.

I never thought she was actually going to play all 3 events anyway, so I am surprised she took the wildcard to Toronto in the first place.
06-Aug-2013 05:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ozza's post:
tented (08-06-2013)
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,899
Good. I thought 3 consecutive weeks coming off an injury was a bad idea anyway. Now we'll see what she looks like next week.
06-Aug-2013 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)