BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Davenport: Hingis planning singles return
Grossefavourite Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 0
Davenport: Hingis planning singles return
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/07/d...fKrudLrx50

Tennis Channel analyst Lindsay Davenport, who won the Wimbledon Ladies' Invitation doubles with Martina Hingis earlier this month, says Hingis is planning a full-fledged singles return this fall.

Davenport says that the Swiss†decision to play five WTA doubles tournaments this summer — at least two with Daniela Hantuchova, including the U.S. Open — is "just a way to get her feet wet" before coming back in singles again.

It would be the 32-year-old Hingis' second comeback in singles. Another Tennis Channel analyst, Rennae Staubbs, said much the same on the NCR tennis radio podcast.
(This post was last modified: 03-Aug-2013 03:23 PM by tented.)
26-Jul-2013 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grossefavourite's post:
Fiero425 (07-26-2013)
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 2,881
RE: DAVENPORT---Hingis Returns To Singles In Fall Hoping To Halt Serena's Dominance
We can only hope it's true! Bravo Martina!

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
26-Jul-2013 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
joylan1 Offline
Ball Kid

RE: DAVENPORT---Hingis Returns To Singles In Fall Hoping To Halt Serena's Dominance
(26-Jul-2013 12:08 PM)Grossefavourite Wrote:  http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/07/d...fKrudLrx50

Tennis Channel analyst Lindsay Davenport, who won the Wimbledon Ladies' Invitation doubles with Martina Hingis earlier this month, says Hingis is planning a full-fledged singles return this fall.

Davenport says that the Swiss†decision to play five WTA doubles tournaments this summer — at least two with Daniela Hantuchova, including the U.S. Open — is "just a way to get her feet wet" before coming back in singles again.

It would be the 32-year-old Hingis' second comeback in singles. Another Tennis Channel analyst, Rennae Staubbs, said much the same on the NCR tennis radio podcast.

Hi Grossie,

This board just got a little less boring now..

As far as Hingis I am sure her big comeback to singles will be dependent on how successful her doubles comeback is....
26-Jul-2013 12:27 PM
Grossefavourite Offline
Banned

(26-Jul-2013 12:27 PM)joylan1 Wrote:  
(26-Jul-2013 12:08 PM)Grossefavourite Wrote:  http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/07/d...fKrudLrx50

Hi Grossie,

This board just got a little less boring now..

As far as Hingis I am sure her big comeback to singles will be dependent on how successful her doubles comeback is....

Hi Joylan:

For sure the board hadn't been boring with you around.

Are people still claiming her HOF and comeback are coincidences?
26-Jul-2013 12:32 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 248
tired of her...who is next Kimmy..she seems thirsty and her tweets on women tennis tells me that after maternity leave she will be back.Justine is the only one who seems to have moved on.
26-Jul-2013 12:34 PM
special700 Offline
Masters Titleist

I can't wait to see this. I hope the first person she as to play would be Serena or Vika.
26-Jul-2013 12:36 PM
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jul-2013 12:34 PM)tossip Wrote:  tired of her...who is next Kimmy..she seems thirsty and her tweets on women tennis tells me that after maternity leave she will be back.Justine is the only one who seems to have moved on.

Marriage and having a kid usually spell the end! There are only a few instances where it wasn't a death sentence to their careers; Goolagong by winning Wimbldeon in '80 and Clijster taking a couple USO's are the only ones to come to mind at the top of the women's game!

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
26-Jul-2013 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
my sherona Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 103
RE: DAVENPORT---Hingis Returns To Singles In Fall Vowing To Halt Serena's Dominance
too late for Martina, Maria is doing the domination of serena this coming fall..
26-Jul-2013 02:03 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 2,925
RE: DAVENPORT---Hingis Returns To Singles In Fall Vowing To Halt Serena's Dominance
(26-Jul-2013 02:03 PM)my sherona Wrote:  too late for Martina, Maria is doing the domination of serena this coming fall..

LOL, good luck with that prediction Lay Down Laughing She hasn't beaten her since 2004 so what makes you think she will next month exactly? She hasn't shown any signs of getting there yet.
26-Jul-2013 02:22 PM
RJD11 Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 212
(26-Jul-2013 02:22 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(26-Jul-2013 02:03 PM)my sherona Wrote:  too late for Martina, Maria is doing the domination of serena this coming fall..

LOL, good luck with that prediction Lay Down Laughing She hasn't beaten her since 2004 so what makes you think she will next month exactly? She hasn't shown any signs of getting there yet.

But now She has Connors coaching her....lol
26-Jul-2013 02:35 PM
Grossefavourite Offline
Banned

What's prompting this comeback: boredom, hunger, money (alimony) or (Venus) envy?
(This post was last modified: 26-Jul-2013 02:39 PM by Grossefavourite.)
26-Jul-2013 02:38 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
If anyone has a question about the warning system, please contact me personally. I'm not going to turn a thread about a completely different topic into a discussion about it, therefore I'm also going to delete the posts which aren't about Davenport/Hingis.

Thank you,

Tented / Administrator
26-Jul-2013 02:57 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 248
(26-Jul-2013 12:36 PM)special700 Wrote:  I can't wait to see this. I hope the first person she as to play would be Serena or Vika.
its so weird that she never played Serena during her first comeback...cant wait to see her play Serena at AO14...
26-Jul-2013 03:15 PM
ozza Offline
Seasoned Pro

Firstly these comments have been way over exaggerated by journalists.

Lindsay Davenport ‏@LDavenport76
.@tennis I said I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to play singles at some point. I have no confirmation from her.

She's guessing, she doesn't know anything.

Secondly I can't see this ever working out. If it does happen it will be very short lived imo, because I can't see Hingis being content with being a journey woman, and I can't see her doing any better than top 40.
26-Jul-2013 05:55 PM
colleen66 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 117
In my humble opinion, after seeing older players doing well and observing the "weak" #4 and #5 players winning tournaments or making it to quarterfinals, semi-finals and finals, Martina figures what does she have to lose. If she is in a tournament with a weak field, she has a chance of adding to her title count. The WTA has had a succession of #1's who attained the top berth without winning a major. Then we have players like Stosur, Caroline etc. who have stayed in the top 10-15 and they are not even winning tournaments! Na Li cannot close out victories, Lisicki is inconsistent, Errani serves 70mph and Kivitova has not improved in 2 years. Hingis could easily be the in the top 10 in a few months.
26-Jul-2013 06:00 PM
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 19
Yeah but I can't see her contending for singles titles without a serve. Sure Errani does well with what she has, but the serve keeps her from the big titles.
26-Jul-2013 06:17 PM
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jul-2013 06:17 PM)Sundaymorningguy Wrote:  Yeah but I can't see her contending for singles titles without a serve. Sure Errani does well with what she has, but the serve keeps her from the big titles.

Aggie Radwanska is the soft-ball successor to Hingis and she's done ok for herself! I think the WTA is a mess and Hingis can get back into the top 10 w/o much effort even at 32 y.o.! Her mind has always been her greatest strength!

(This post was last modified: 26-Jul-2013 07:08 PM by Fiero425.)
26-Jul-2013 07:01 PM
Calvy Offline
Masters Titleist

(26-Jul-2013 07:01 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  
(26-Jul-2013 06:17 PM)Sundaymorningguy Wrote:  Yeah but I can't see her contending for singles titles without a serve. Sure Errani does well with what she has, but the serve keeps her from the big titles.

Aggie Radwanska is the soft-ball successor to Hingis and she's done ok for herself! I think the WTA is a mess and Hingis can get back into the top 10 w/o much effort even at 32 y.o.! Her mind has always been her greatest strength!

She hasn't played on the tour in over 5 years, and no matter how mentally tough you were, it's a difficult task, especially at 32. There is a difference between playing the Legend events at slams , WTT and the actual WTA.

Even Kimiko Date has only has the most moderate success in her comeback. And though some might mention Kim and Justine, remember, they were off the tour only 3 and 2 1/2 years and were still in their 20's and both had something Martina does not have, power.
26-Jul-2013 07:44 PM
ZeroTolerance000 Offline
Ball Kid

Likes Given: 62
No NoI could be wrong; but, top 10 with little effort--I doubt it. She's played legend tennis; but 32 years old and being out of the main draw for so many years will require much effort to be in the top 30.
26-Jul-2013 08:22 PM
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jul-2013 08:22 PM)ZeroTolerance000 Wrote:  No NoI could be wrong; but, top 10 with little effort--I doubt it. She's played legend tennis; but 32 years old and being out of the main draw for so many years will require much effort to be in the top 30.

I wouldn't bet against Hingis making the top 30! The women's game isn't that tough to crack! Serena was allowed to come and go with impunity and still reigns as #1 after all this time! That's not saying much for their games collectively!

26-Jul-2013 08:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)