BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

ESPY
Chelsia16 Offline

Likes Given: 21
ESPY
I was slightly surprised that Djokovic won best tennis player; I realize he made several slam finals in 2012 but he only won one the Australian Open.
Nadal (French Open), Federer (Wimbledon) and Murray (US Open), but Murray also took the gold at the Olympics so I thought he would win.
18-Jul-2013 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
johnsteinbeck Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 338
RE: ESPY
well, Novak did end up #1 at the end of the year, which is the system used to determine the best player for a year, right? however, you're right, they could've gone with another approach, given more respect to sentimental values, impact, dynamics, then basically any of the other ones would have had at least just as good a shot.

but as it is, it's a well deserved for Novak. without a doubt, he was the best of 2012. which is why he was #1 after 12 months. if we're being honest, the espy "awards" are mostly just an excuse to have a nice gala dinner and parties in LA.
19-Jul-2013 03:08 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes johnsteinbeck's post:
Moxie629 (07-19-2013)
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,897
(19-Jul-2013 03:08 AM)johnsteinbeck Wrote:  well, Novak did end up #1 at the end of the year, which is the system used to determine the best player for a year, right? however, you're right, they could've gone with another approach, given more respect to sentimental values, impact, dynamics, then basically any of the other ones would have had at least just as good a shot.

but as it is, it's a well deserved for Novak. without a doubt, he was the best of 2012. which is why he was #1 after 12 months. if we're being honest, the espy "awards" are mostly just an excuse to have a nice gala dinner and parties in LA.

Keep in mind the fans vote for the ESPY winners so you'll see many results based on popularity contests. On the heels of his 2011 season, Novak has become more popular. Next year you might see Andy w/ the ESPY as he just blew up in the span of about 10 months.
22-Jul-2013 07:54 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kskate2's post:
johnsteinbeck (07-22-2013)
johnsteinbeck Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 338
thanks for the reminder. tbh, i was not aware that it was the fans who voted. so that's pretty neat for Novak.
22-Jul-2013 08:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)