BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Jack Sock
secrettennisjunkie Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 7
Jack Sock
Time to talk a bit about my fellow Nebraskan, Jack Sock. Is this Masters semifinal with wins over Nishikori and Dimitrov just an aberration or a sign of an uptick for Sock? He is 15-3 this year (let's just forget about that Acapulco loss to Nishioka) and his recent success dates back to 2016 where he made the quarters at Shanghai and Paris.

He is currently #9 in the race. Obviously it's early but I think he could challenge for a spot in London. He'll likely win one or two more of the small American tournaments and only needs a slam QF or two really get into the conversation. I think he's gotten more mentally tough this year as shown by his gutty wins over Dimitrov and Jaziri.

Where do you see him going this year?
20-Mar-2017 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
herios Online
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 333
RE: Jack Sock
As I said in the ranking thread, Jack needs to work on some weaknesses in his game: Movement, speed and BH. he reminds me of Mardy Fish before he worked on his fitness, in order to become a contender for the top 10.
he is now ranked 17, but the 10-15 ranked players are quite tough and Jack will not be able to push through them, unless he works and improves further in those areas I just mentioned.
20-Mar-2017 09:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes herios's post:
El Dude (03-20-2017)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,373
Jack won't make it to London.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
20-Mar-2017 11:20 AM
El Dude Offline

Likes Given: 703
Pretty much what herios said. He's a good player and could get a bit better, but I don't see him reaching the top 10 except for maybe a dig here or there. But it does look he's firmly establishing himself as a "third tier" player - meaning, seeded at Slams but not a regular in the top 10 (e.g. Almagro, Goffin, Bautista Agut, etc).
20-Mar-2017 12:43 PM
secrettennisjunkie Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 7
(20-Mar-2017 09:31 AM)herios Wrote:  As I said in the ranking thread, Jack needs to work on some weaknesses in his game: Movement, speed and BH. he reminds me of Mardy Fish before he worked on his fitness, in order to become a contender for the top 10.
he is now ranked 17, but the 10-15 ranked players are quite tough and Jack will not be able to push through them, unless he works and improves further in those areas I just mentioned.

Are you saying he needs to work on his footspeed or speed of shots? The announcers are always praising his footspeed (but maybe they're just homers). Definitely agree his BH needs to get better.
20-Mar-2017 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)