BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Roger Year-End #!
lacatch Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 0
Roger Year-End #!
If Roger keeps playing at this level, I can't see who can trouble him on tour and he has a good shot at #1 given that he didn't play after Wimbledon. Depends on his stamina, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win at least another slam this year. Amazing renaissance!
17-Mar-2017 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacatch's post:
shivashish (03-18-2017)
El Dude Offline

Likes Given: 703
RE: Roger Year-End #!
He may not even need to win another Slam. Consider this possible scenario:

Australian Open W (2000)
Dubai 3R (45)
Indian Wells W (1000)
Miami QF (180)
Clay Masters SF (360)
Roland Garros SF (720)
Stuttgart F (150)
Halle W (500)
Wimbledon F (1200)
Cincinnati W (1000)
US Open SF (720)
Shanghai SF (360)
Basel W (500)
Paris SF (360)
WTF W (1500)

10,595 year-end points should be enough to earn #1, unless someone wins two Slams, which seems unlikely.

So maybe he loses to Sock or Wawrinka, but he could win Miami, Shanghai or Paris.

Regardless, he's at 2405 points now, 800 points ahead of #2 (Rafa). If he beats Sock he's up to 2765, and his lead is 1100 points. A nice start to the year.
(This post was last modified: 18-Mar-2017 02:14 AM by El Dude.)
18-Mar-2017 02:13 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes El Dude's post:
ftan (03-18-2017)
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 3,086
Here we go! Rolleyes No No Cover - - - - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fa...kovic.html - - -

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
(This post was last modified: 18-Mar-2017 02:36 AM by Fiero425.)
18-Mar-2017 02:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
isabelle Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 34
(17-Mar-2017 10:29 PM)lacatch Wrote:  If Roger keeps playing at this level, I can't see who can trouble him on tour and he has a good shot at #1 given that he didn't play after Wimbledon. Depends on his stamina, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win at least another slam this year. Amazing renaissance!

I don't think he'll keep playing at this level all year long, he'll turn 36 in Aug, age is a main factor for him. Andy'll probably finsh the year N°1 except if he picks up a bad injury and stay sidelined like Delpo or Haas (which I don't hope)
18-Mar-2017 08:30 AM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,366
Read Fed's views on the matter. He has the right attitude, as usual about these things.

Top spot not the goal for Federer
Tennis, Updated: March 19, 2017 10:37 AM

Roger Federer says replacing Andy Murray as the world number one is a "possibility" but not a priority.

The Swiss star has spent a record of 302 weeks at the top of the ATP rankings but he is currently in 10th spot after missing the latter half of last year due to injury.
Federer claimed the Australian Open crown earlier this year and is through to the final at Indian Wells, where he will face compatriot Stan Wawrinka on Sunday.
The 35-year-old says reclaiming the top spot in the rankings is not a major priority and he feels it will be hard as he has reduced his schedule to ensure he remains fit.
However, the 18-time Grand Slam champion believes he may be able to move back to the top if he wins another major this season.
"Well, because I'm not going to be playing so much, you would think I would need to win probably another Grand Slam for that to happen" Federer said, as reported by Tennis World USA. "Because I have one in the bag, I guess there is a possibility. Plus I'm playing well here [Indian Wells] again, away from the Grand Slams. But the Grand Slams give so many points that that's probably where I would have to make a huge run again. And maybe one is not enough, as well, because they [his rivals] will pick up their level of play."
He added: "They will pick up their game, and they're going to win tournaments again. So, for me, just because Novak [Djokovic] might not play Miami and Andy is not, and I'm in the finals here, it doesn't change anything in my scheduling.
"I'd love to be world No. 1 again. But anything else other than world No 1 for me is not interesting. So that's why the rankings is not a priority right now. It's totally about being healthy, enjoying the tournaments I'm playing and trying to win those."

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
19-Mar-2017 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)