BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Indian Wells Masters HC
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,419
RE: Indian Wells Masters HC
The deatheless one emerges from the death quarter to life the crystal trophy. Clap Celebrate

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
19-Mar-2017 06:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like GameSetAndMath's post:
ftan (03-19-2017), shivashish (03-20-2017)
Puppet Master Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 195
Stan (crying during the interview): "Roger is laughing, he is an asshole."
What a guy. Not the best match to be honest,but this is the nature of their matchup. Both can't stand to be defensive in a rally and end up going for too much, especially Stan. Overall it was good, but not great. I enjoyed it regardless.
19-Mar-2017 06:32 PM
Busted Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 2
So the old man wins a 5th AO and 5th IW - and now Djokovic and Murray are out of Miami with elbow injuries. Too early yet to speculate on an IW/Miami double...but I'm not really seeing anybody out there who can stop Roger right now - except himself.
19-Mar-2017 06:34 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Roger +8 and Stan -4 in the differential.

Roger executed deep high strokes which lead to a floater from Stan on which he comes in and finishes many times.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
19-Mar-2017 06:35 PM
Busted Offline
Seasoned Pro

(19-Mar-2017 06:32 PM)Puppet Master Wrote:  Stan (crying during the interview): "Roger is laughing, he is an asshole."
What a guy. Not the best match to be honest,but this is the nature of their matchup. Both can't stand to be defensive in a rally and end up going for too much, especially Stan. Overall it was good, but not great. I enjoyed it regardless.

I sort of felt like Roger was holding back on his shots because he knew Stan would implode eventually. He definitely didn't play as wel, or as aggressively,l as he did the rest of the tournament. Poor old Nadal is saying, "Why didn't he play that crappy against me?" Lolz
19-Mar-2017 06:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Busted's post:
Fiero425 (03-19-2017)
Busted Offline
Seasoned Pro

(19-Mar-2017 06:20 PM)lob Wrote:  Did Stan just call Roger an as&hole on mike, in front of the crowd and the camera?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Yes, he did...and Roger laughed some more. Lay Down Laughing Stan's starting to remind me of Chrissy during the years when Martina was blitzing her in every match. He's resigned himself to the eventual loss. Stan's gotta put some distance between himself and Roger or he's never going to be able to beat him in these big matches that aren't on clay. Or he can just accept his fate - Roger is better than he is and he can't hit him off the court like he can other players because Roger will just change his game plane and come forward and take the offensive. The match is always going to be on Roger's racket.
19-Mar-2017 06:44 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Busted's post:
Fiero425 (03-19-2017), ftan (03-20-2017), shawnbm (03-20-2017)
lob Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 46
Busted...it felt like that to me too. But Stan shouldn't have sprayed as many errors as he did towards the end of the second set. When Roger is not playing very well the best strategy is for Stan to take care of his service and force Roger to go for too much.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
19-Mar-2017 06:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes lob's post:
Fiero425 (03-19-2017)
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 2,177
I taped the thing to watch and the only part I had to rewind , to be sure, was when Stan called Roger an a hole ! That was funny stuff !

Well done Roger. Not a classic by any means but considering how his side of the draw looked at the beginning, this is a remarkable win, no?

19-Mar-2017 07:25 PM
Haelfix Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 5
Playing in the heat is really a mental game. Balls sail on you, and so there is a weird doublethink moment where u don't want to overhit , but then hitting too softly can lead to errors or easy points as well.

There were a few games in the 2nd where I think Stan was outplaying Fed, and Federer banked on him UEing himself off the court. So he would vary the pace and height and looked for the error.

I think stans mistake was to trust his power, whereas he should have rallied to Federers backhand, which had been shanking all match. The right call was going for the error as opposed to the win.
19-Mar-2017 07:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Haelfix's post:
ftan (03-20-2017)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Today, Roger clearly played better than Stan and won his first final against Stan. Smile

However, I strongly feel Stan had Roger on ropes big time in AO match and I don't even know how Roger won that match. It seemed to me that Stan was the better player for most of the time in that match.

19-Mar-2017 07:32 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

IW is 90th title of Roger. It looks like he can definitely reach 100 mark before retiring even though beating Connor's record might be difficult as it would require winning another ten titles after reaching 100.

19-Mar-2017 07:52 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes GameSetAndMath's post:
Fiero425 (03-19-2017)
mightyjeditribble Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 36
Some interesting points from Christopher Clarey (NYT Tennis writer) on twitter:

Federer said his pre-season goal was to be back in the top 8 after Wimbledon. Smile

Federer would like to have to start to play in Miami as late as possible (guess that means Saturday?), but plans to play.
19-Mar-2017 08:05 PM
lacatch Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 0
1. Roger didn't have to play Andy or Novak
2. Roger didn't have to play Kyrgios
3. Stan didn't play great
4. Roger has a new racquet
5. The crowd disproportionately rooted for Roger
6. Rafa didn't play his best 2 rounds ago
7. Roger trains in Dubai so he's used to intense heat

Did I miss anything?
19-Mar-2017 09:55 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like lacatch's post:
Fiero425 (03-19-2017), ftan (03-20-2017)
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 3,209
(19-Mar-2017 09:55 PM)lacatch Wrote:  1. Roger didn't have to play Andy or Novak
2. Roger didn't have to play Kyrgios
3. Stan didn't play great
4. Roger has a new racquet
5. The crowd disproportionately rooted for Roger
6. Rafa didn't play his best 2 rounds ago
7. Roger trains in Dubai so he's used to intense heat

Did I miss anything?

'6'/8. Roger didn't have to play the "real" Nadal! Rolleyes Snicker - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fa...kovic.html -

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
(This post was last modified: 19-Mar-2017 10:14 PM by Fiero425.)
19-Mar-2017 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Fiero425's post:
ftan (03-20-2017), shawnbm (03-20-2017)
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 3,209
(19-Mar-2017 08:05 PM)mightyjeditribble Wrote:  Some interesting points from Christopher Clarey (NYT Tennis writer) on twitter:

Federer said his pre-season goal was to be back in the top 8 after Wimbledon. Smile

Federer would like to have to start to play in Miami as late as possible (guess that means Saturday?), but plans to play.

The draw's already decimated by Nole and Andy skipping the event! Kei's #2 seed behind Stan? No No Angel Blush Cover

- - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fa...kovic.html - - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Miami...7s_Singles - -

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
(This post was last modified: 19-Mar-2017 10:52 PM by Fiero425.)
19-Mar-2017 10:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
shivashish Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 107
I just watched the point-by-point highlights of the match. Roger and Stan were neck-on-neck for the most of the match each dominating their own service games. However, Roger played fantastic tennis in clutch moments. He played many great shots in this match too. I remember a crazy volley, some great retrievers and a great passing shot. Roger's backhand looks good to me overall.

I will want to be positive about Miami looking at this.

20-Mar-2017 06:25 AM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 852
I thought it was very high quality in the 1st set and then the level dropped a bit in the 2nd set but at no time did I consider it a slop fest. Stan especially was hot and cold that last set but Roger was quite steady throughout aside from a couple service games where he couldn't buy a 1st serve. Both of them played better than what they did in Australia which was not a high quality affair by any means.
20-Mar-2017 09:15 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like DarthFed's post:
Frode789 (03-20-2017), shivashish (03-20-2017)
mrzz Offline
Major Winner

I figured level wise it was one of the worst Federer matches in IW -- even if I completely agree that it was far from a slop fest. What I considered as a positive is that on the second set Wawrinka started to channel his Stanimal self, with some absurd winners out of nowhere, and even so Federer found a way to win it.
21-Mar-2017 06:32 AM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 852
I didn't see Fed's match with Johnson but the only bad set I saw him play aside from that was the 2nd set vs. Sock. Stan was hitting even bigger in the 2nd set as you said but he was missing a bunch more. I thought the first set was better from both of them.
21-Mar-2017 08:23 AM
mrzz Offline
Major Winner

I did not express myself correctly -- I should have used "less good" or something else instead of "worst". The lowest he got in this tournament was at least "decent".

I saw the Johnson match. For me it was pretty high quality as both players were playing super fast, giving very few looks in their own service games, and apart from one odd error here and there, very low UFE count, which given the speed was quite a feat. What you get on the highlights was pretty much the general feel of the match.
21-Mar-2017 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)