BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Poll: Where does LeBron Stand?
This poll is closed.
1 0% 0 0%
2 0% 0 0%
3 0% 0 0%
4 50.00% 1 50.00%
5 0% 0 0%
6 0% 0 0%
somewhere in 7-10 50.00% 1 50.00%
outside top 10 0% 0 0%
Total 2 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Where would you place LeBron James among all time greats and why?
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,366
Where would you place LeBron James among all time greats and why?
I was wondering as to where would folks place LeBron James now among all time greats.
Please justify your reasoning. In particular, if you place him on 3, mention the two ahead of him.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
(This post was last modified: 20-Jun-2016 01:42 PM by GameSetAndMath.)
20-Jun-2016 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 845
RE: Where would you place LeBron James among all time greast and why?
Before this series I had him as a clear #6. The top 5 before this is actually fairly clear cut IMO. Jordan at #1 and then behind him in some order you have Kareem, Russell, Wilt, and Magic. I then had Lebron followed by Bird. After this...it's tough for sure. I don't think he is #2 yet (that's Kareem IMO) but I do put him a hair ahead of Wilt and Magic now. So #4 all time for me now.
20-Jun-2016 12:53 PM
Fiero425 Online
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 3,089
RE: Where would you place LeBron James among all time greast and why?
(20-Jun-2016 12:53 PM)DarthFed Wrote:  Before this series I had him as a clear #6. The top 5 before this is actually fairly clear cut IMO. Jordan at #1 and then behind him in some order you have Kareem, Russell, Wilt, and Magic. I then had Lebron followed by Bird. After this...it's tough for sure. I don't think he is #2 yet (that's Kareem IMO) but I do put him a hair ahead of Wilt and Magic now. So #4 all time for me now.

I'm no Laker fan, but Jabbar and Johnson will always be ahead of LeBron who's the biggest crybaby of all the ATG's! His flops on court when not even touched is quite unseemly and I can't respect the guy even if he doubles it and take 1 more in Cleveland before heading back to South Beach! Wilt and Russell will also be ahead of him for all time! Rolleyes

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
(This post was last modified: 20-Jun-2016 01:05 PM by Fiero425.)
20-Jun-2016 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

RE: Where would you place LeBron James among all time greats and why?
^ It's tough to rate individual players when it comes to team sports. It simply can't all be about rings otherwise Russell is obviously #1 and probably will be for hundreds of years. Somewhere you have to factor in other things such as stats, accolades, longevity, impact, etc. The thing that's amazing about Lebron is he already has more longevity than a lot of the all timers. When all is said and done he is probably going to be #1 in points and top 5, maybe top 3 in assists, with plenty of other records to go with it.

If he gets another ring or two he may end up #2. Kareem gets underrated sometimes in these lists but his resume is incredible. I think it will take a lot for Lebron to surpass that but he might.
20-Jun-2016 02:39 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

For starters, can someone post a table of stats (judgement free) comparing the top players on important metrics such as # of rings, # of league MVPs, $ of finals MVPs, total points, rebounds, assists, blocks (total and post-season only).

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
20-Jun-2016 03:05 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

(20-Jun-2016 02:39 PM)DarthFed Wrote:  ^ It's tough to rate individual players when it comes to team sports. It simply can't all be about rings otherwise Russell is obviously #1 and probably will be for hundreds of years. Somewhere you have to factor in other things such as stats, accolades, longevity, impact, etc. The thing that's amazing about Lebron is he already has more longevity than a lot of the all timers. When all is said and done he is probably going to be #1 in points and top 5, maybe top 3 in assists, with plenty of other records to go with it.

If he gets another ring or two he may end up #2. Kareem gets underrated sometimes in these lists but his resume is incredible. I think it will take a lot for Lebron to surpass that but he might.

I agree with the bolded part. Certainly, players playing in teams without much of a support cast will not be able to win many rings despite their performance and so some allowance should be given for that. In fact, LeBron should get that allowance for wasting so many years in CLE.

p.s. You forgot to vote.

20-Jun-2016 04:47 PM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(20-Jun-2016 03:05 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  For starters, can someone post a table of stats (judgement free) comparing the top players on important metrics such as # of rings, # of league MVPs, $ of finals MVPs, total points, rebounds, assists, blocks (total and post-season only).

I'm just going to do it for the 6 I listed (MJ, Bron, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Russell)

Rings:
Russell - 11
MJ - 6
Kareem - 6
Magic - 5
Lebron - 3
Wilt - 2

MVP:
Kareem - 6
MJ - 5
Russell - 5
Lebron - 4
Wilt - 4
Magic - 3

Finals MVP:
MJ - 6
Lebron - 3
Magic -3
Kareem - 2
Wilt - 1
(There was no finals MVP award until Russell's final year)

This has the other stats you are looking for:

http://www.nba.com/history/nba-all-time-records/
20-Jun-2016 06:00 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Thanks for the info and the link. I am just a casual fan of BB and am not seriously into it. So, I don't remember these stats off the top of my head.

20-Jun-2016 09:27 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like GameSetAndMath's post:
DarthFed (06-20-2016), Fiero425 (06-20-2016)
Fiero425 Online
Grand Slam Champion

(20-Jun-2016 09:27 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  Thanks for the info and the link. I am just a casual fan of BB and am not seriously into it. So, I don't remember these stats off the top of my head.

B-Ball has been a joke since the old guard retired; Jordon, Malone, Robinson, etc.! New players don't have the fundamentals down and so it's much too sloppy a game to watch IMO! If San Antonio goes far, I'm a little more interested! I had no dog in this hunt even though I lived in California for over 10 years, but the actions of Draymond Green turned me off and he cost his team the championship due to flagrant fouls! What a tool! Stats says Hillary a shoe-in since an Eastern Conference team won! Angel Rolleyes Tongue

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
20-Jun-2016 09:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

I am assuming LeBron has a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 6 years left. Is that correct? What is the average shelf life of a BB player. I would guess somewhere around 15.

Le Bron has put in 13 years right now on NBA. But, he did not waste 4 years studying existential philosophy at an university he probably has 6 more years left. Would that be a reasonable assumption.

20-Jun-2016 10:07 PM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

I think Lebron will play until his late 30's barring injury (and he's built like a tank so he almost never gets hurt) so 6 years sounds about right. The average player probably lasts a little less than 10 years, the average star a little over 10 years.

Lebron has an insane amount of miles on his legs. It's not just 13 years of regular season bball. He's gone to 7 finals and has played on 3 Olympic teams and one US World Championship team. If he plays in the Olympics this year he'd be crazy. He is a very old 31 and as insanely athletic as he still is I do think he's lost some of the explosiveness from his earlier years (though that ridiculous block on Iggy last night shows I may be wrong). The thing most don't realize watching him is that he would still be a great player if he was an average athlete. And I think we will see that in 4-5 years when he has slowed down a lot more. If he plays 6 more years I bet he will still be at near superstar level at age 36-37.
20-Jun-2016 10:38 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,964
I just hope he doesn't limp (leave only after his level has dropped substantially) out of the game like Kobe did and to some degree MJ on his 2nd go round w/ the Wizards.
21-Jun-2016 11:08 AM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Tingor says we should not do this for next two days . No No So, do not post a message here for the next two days. Tongue

21-Jun-2016 10:02 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

OK folks, few days of mourning, oops savoring, is over. Now feel free to assign a number LeBron with your personal justification for it.

24-Jun-2016 03:36 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 254
Lebron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place especially Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad,entitled Curry family,Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

Popcorn
26-Jun-2016 12:16 PM
Fiero425 Online
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jun-2016 12:16 PM)tossip Wrote:  Lebron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place especially Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad,entitled Curry family,Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

And of course LeBron's entitled to win HOW? After leaving unceremoniously to take his talent to Miami, to come back doesn't pacify all the ire over how it went down IMO! He's a slime-bag; him and his posse for reason expressed all over the net! No No Cover Rolleyes

26-Jun-2016 12:51 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jun-2016 12:51 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  
(26-Jun-2016 12:16 PM)tossip Wrote:  Lebron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place especially Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad,entitled Curry family,Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

And of course LeBron's entitled to win HOW? After leaving unceremoniously to take his talent to Miami, to come back doesn't pacify all the ire over how it went down IMO! He's a slime-bag; him and his posse for reason expressed all over the net! No No Cover Rolleyes
majority of these players are egocentrics..Popcorn...but Ayesha Curry,Sydel Curry,KlayThompson,Mical Thompson,Draymond and Dubnation took it to another level..
thank goodness we dont have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time,Klay s ugly mug or Steph Curry s girly face..

Popcorn
(This post was last modified: 26-Jun-2016 04:13 PM by tossip.)
26-Jun-2016 04:12 PM
Fiero425 Online
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jun-2016 04:12 PM)tossip Wrote:  
(26-Jun-2016 12:51 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  
(26-Jun-2016 12:16 PM)tossip Wrote:  LeBron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place, esp. Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad, entitled Curry family, Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

Majority of these players are egocentrics. Popcorn...but Ayesha Curry, Sydel Curry, Klay Thompson, Michael Thompson, Draymond & Dubnation took it to another level.
Thank goodness we don't have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time, Klay's ugly mug or Steph Curry's girly face..

If I still lived out in California, I'd be more concerned and upset with Draymond Green; the true author of this monumental collapse! He just couldn't help being suspended for game #5! Cover Eyepop

(This post was last modified: 26-Jun-2016 04:35 PM by Fiero425.)
26-Jun-2016 04:31 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(26-Jun-2016 04:31 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  
(26-Jun-2016 04:12 PM)tossip Wrote:  
(26-Jun-2016 12:51 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  And of course LeBron's entitled to win HOW? After leaving unceremoniously to take his talent to Miami, to come back doesn't pacify all the ire over how it went down IMO! He's a slime-bag; him and his posse for reason expressed all over the net! No No Cover Rolleyes
Majority of these players are egocentrics. Popcorn...but Ayesha Curry, Sydel Curry, Klay Thompson, Michael Thompson, Draymond & Dubnation took it to another level.
Thank goodness we don't have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time, Klay's ugly mug or Steph Curry's girly face..

If I still lived out in California, I'd be more concerned and upset with Draymond Green; the true author of this monumental collapse! He just couldn't help being suspended for game #5! Cover Eyepop
Green was beyond disgusting plus the whole team was believing their hype too much,this team deserved to be humbled.I have a feeling that some Warriors were tired of the splash sisters hype and didnt put in enough effort especially Barnes and Iggy..

Popcorn
26-Jun-2016 08:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes tossip's post:
Fiero425 (06-26-2016)
vjmtz Offline

Likes Given: 11
LeBron is overhyped and overrated.

27-Nov-2016 12:28 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like vjmtz's post:
Fiero425 (11-27-2016), the AntiPusher (11-29-2016)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)