BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

A Wimbledon tradition we need to get rid of
Denisovich Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 1,325
A Wimbledon tradition we need to get rid of
Not playing on the first Sunday. Seriously. I need to work on Monday, give me some tennis on Sunday. It's only one fortnight a year that they play on Wimbledon and they allow play only on 3 days in the weekend, including only 2 days for the men.
25-Jun-2013 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Denisovich's post:
tented (06-25-2013)
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 6,966
RE: A Wimbledon tradition we need to get rid of
That's a good point, but I think originally nobody played on the Sunday because Sunday was a day where everything stopped and shops closed, etc, but also - it gives the grass a break, because grass courts suffer more than clay or hards.

Personally, I'm amazed at how poorly the other slams schedule things, when they begin on the Sunday and cover three weekends. This year, the world #1 began on the 3rd day of the FO, the defending champ played on the 2nd day (and had eventually to play two days in a row), while Federer began his campaign on the opening day. Not Federer's fault! But they always run into these scheduling contradictions in all the slams that don't start with W. I have to say, even without the roof, Wimbledon usual,ly ran smoothly. 2007 was an exception and I think they made mistakes there by not playing in the middle Sunday (from memory)...
25-Jun-2013 05:49 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
(25-Jun-2013 05:49 PM)Kieran Wrote:  2007 was an exception and I think they made mistakes there by not playing in the middle Sunday (from memory)...

No, they didn't play the middle Sunday even during that awful mess. I remember at the time people trying to pressure them into it, but they wouldn't budge.
25-Jun-2013 05:53 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,897
If they opened up play on the middle Sun then they wouldn't have the single greatest day in tennis, the 2nd Mon which is the R16 where every man and woman plays. The way it is now everyone has a day of rest, then the R16. The women have to come back on Tues and play QF as it is.
25-Jun-2013 07:14 PM
johnsteinbeck Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 338
i get your point from an international audience/tv kind of view... but i think apart from tradition, Kieran made a good point about giving the grass some rest.
26-Jun-2013 01:21 AM
Denisovich Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 1,325
Yeah, the poor grass. Better give it some rest. ON MONDAY. When the rest of the world is working.

@kskate2: reschedule so you have manic monday on Sunday, or not have it at all. 4th round matches on court 12 or something? Manic monday only causes you to miss good matches. Confused
(This post was last modified: 26-Jun-2013 09:17 AM by Denisovich.)
26-Jun-2013 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)