BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Sharapova fails drug test
hoergren Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 597
RE: Sharapova fails drug test
BBC Sport - Maria Sharapova: Caroline Wozniacki calls Russian's Stuttgart wildcard 'disrespectful'

Wozniacki about Stuttgart tournament and Sharapova

Kerber has also been wondering why this is allowed

Kerber about the Stuttgart tournament

Even Andy Murray has said wildcards should not be given to players returning from doping bans.

I thought that all legal players should be ready from a tournaments start and NOT on the third day. I understand the growing discontent among players. Tournaments will risk a player boycot if they continue too long with the wildcards, because it's not a player returning from an injury, so the player should start all over again and fight the way back. IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 12-Mar-2017 07:14 AM by hoergren.)
12-Mar-2017 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes hoergren's post:
kskate2 (03-12-2017)
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 1,086
(10-Mar-2017 04:15 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  I get all that too. That's why it's not a good move from the tournament. They really shouldn't bend over for one player who's returning from a ban. If I were Kerber, I wouldn't go back to Stuttgart after this (she may already be contractually obligated for this year).

Ever since what happened to Seles, I have a very low opinion of Germany ..it seems their tennis officials aren't much better than their judicial system
12-Mar-2017 09:13 AM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(06-Mar-2017 07:07 PM)tossip Wrote:  she needs to work for her ranking if she has conscience..or if she is contrite.

Pova is about as contrite as Donald Trump..I doubt if contrite is in their vocabulary
12-Mar-2017 09:15 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes the AntiPusher's post:
Fiero425 (03-12-2017)
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 3,098
(12-Mar-2017 09:15 AM)the AntiPusher Wrote:  
(06-Mar-2017 07:07 PM)tossip Wrote:  She needs to work for her ranking if she has a conscience or if she is truly contrite.

Pova is about as contrite as Donald Trump. I doubt if contrite is in their vocabulary.

Oh please; she's been pampered and coddled all her freakin' life! Of course she feels entitled and to this day probably doesn't think she did anything wrong! If IMG didn't tell her her medication was on the list of banned substances, then it's on them! If she concealed her usage, then it's on her and she should take her medicine (no pun intended) and work to get her ranking back! She's not entitled to any protection; even if she's a lot better than most! Seles was stabbed back in '93 and most of the ladies didn't even want to give her a break in the rankings! Why should Pova with a self-inflicted wound? No No Cover Rolleyes

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
12-Mar-2017 03:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,964
(12-Mar-2017 03:39 PM)Fiero425 Wrote:  
(12-Mar-2017 09:15 AM)the AntiPusher Wrote:  
(06-Mar-2017 07:07 PM)tossip Wrote:  She needs to work for her ranking if she has a conscience or if she is truly contrite.

Pova is about as contrite as Donald Trump. I doubt if contrite is in their vocabulary.

Oh please; she's been pampered and coddled all her freakin' life! Of course she feels entitled and to this day probably doesn't think she did anything wrong! If IMG didn't tell her her medication was on the list of banned substances, then it's on them! If she concealed her usage, then it's on her and she should take her medicine (no pun intended) and work to get her ranking back! She's not entitled to any protection; even if she's a lot better than most! Seles was stabbed back in '93 and most of the ladies didn't even want to give her a break in the rankings! Why should Pova with a self-inflicted wound? No No Cover Rolleyes

She doesn't. She's holding true to the fact that it's not her fault that she didn't know the drug had been added to the banned list.
12-Mar-2017 07:05 PM
10isfan Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 267
Pova is publishing a book later this year. I'm sure her marketing team is working overtime trying to salvage her image by spinning to story to make her look a victim. I don't see how anyone can do anything about her wild cards. Tournaments are motivated by money. She does sell more tickets than most other players. I actually think she will sell even more tickets now because there are people supporting her more strongly because they are ignorant of all the details of her infraction as well as all the people coming to cheer for her to lose because she is a cheater.
13-Mar-2017 01:13 PM
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(13-Mar-2017 01:13 PM)10isfan Wrote:  Pova is publishing a book later this year. I'm sure her marketing team is working overtime trying to salvage her image by spinning to story to make her look a victim. I don't see how anyone can do anything about her wild cards. Tournaments are motivated by money. She does sell more tickets than most other players. I actually think she will sell even more tickets now because there are people supporting her more strongly because they are ignorant of all the details of her infraction as well as all the people coming to cheer for her to lose because she is a cheater.

I won't criticize her asking and receiving WC's, but I pray she doesn't come off and act like she's some kind of victim! Her apologists will be around enough to fan those ridiculous flames! I just hope her return doesn't adversely affect the newbies who're coming of age! Veterans can sometimes sabotage them without even saying or doing anything; just being there is enough! Angel Dodgy Cover Rolleyes

"Kneel before your master! Fool; You Are No Longer My Equal! I AM More Than Man, More Than LIFE; I AM A GOD!" Skeletor to He-Man in Masters Of The Universe
13-Mar-2017 01:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,373
(13-Mar-2017 01:13 PM)10isfan Wrote:  Pova is publishing a book later this year. I'm sure her marketing team is working overtime trying to salvage her image by spinning to story to make her look a victim. I don't see how anyone can do anything about her wild cards. Tournaments are motivated by money. She does sell more tickets than most other players. I actually think she will sell even more tickets now because there are people supporting her more strongly because they are ignorant of all the details of her infraction as well as all the people coming to cheer for her to lose because she is a cheater.

There is nothing that can be done about tournaments giving wildcards to her as it is at the discretion of the tournaments. However, what Stuttgart is doing should be prevented by WTA
as Maria is still banned on the first two days of the tournament. But, WTA let it go as they love
Maria.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
13-Mar-2017 04:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes GameSetAndMath's post:
Fiero425 (03-13-2017)
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 254
I dont think pova sells arenas like Serena or Roger...she is overhyped by the tennis media for no reason..

Popcorn
13-Mar-2017 08:23 PM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(13-Mar-2017 08:23 PM)tossip Wrote:  I dont think pova sells arenas like Serena or Roger...she is overhyped by the tennis media for no reason..

This is true.. Again here are the top draws at most tournaments..

1.the Williams Sisters
2. Federer/Nadal (Federer draws the most fans on the practice courts)
3. Everyone else.
13-Mar-2017 08:32 PM
delPoFearhand Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 22
The WTA, imo, applied the rules set down by the ITF TADP correctly. Those rules just have a gaping loophole in them:

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/rule...rview.aspx
Quote:10.11 Status During Ineligibility:
10.11.1 Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility:
(a) No Participant who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, play, coach or otherwise participate in any capacity in (or, if the Person is a Player Support Personnel, assist any Player playing, coaching or otherwise participating in any capacity in):
(i) any Covered Event;
(ii) any other Event or Competition or activity (other than authorised anti-doping education or rehabilitation programmes) authorised, organised or sanctioned by the ITF, the ATP, the WTA, any National Association or member of a National Association, or any Signatory, Signatory's member organisation, or club or member organisation of that Signatory's member organisation;
(iii) any Event or Competition authorised or organised by any professional league or any international or national-level Event or Competition organisation; or
(iv) any elite or national-level sporting activity funded by a governmental agency.

and

Quote:10.11.2 Without prejudice to the generality of Article 10.11.1, a Participant shall not, during any period of Ineligibility, be given accreditation for, or otherwise granted access to, any Covered Event or any other Event or Competition or activity authorised, organised or sanctioned by the ITF, the ATP, the WTA, any National Association or member of a National Association, and any such accreditation previously issued shall be withdrawn.

The WTA lawyers decided (and I think I would agree in terms of legal analysis) that just being in the draw is not "participating" in the event. For me "participating" start once one actually steps out on the court to play or does a promotional appearance (such as being at the draw ceremony).

The annoyance for Maria, though, is 10.11.2 specifically restricts them from granting her a credential or access to the tournament, causing the weird situation where she can't pick up her badge until the morning she plays (which is her first day being eligible again). Otherwise, I think you could make a viable argument that she could even be on site & practice there without "participating" in the tournament, although the latter would depend on how/if the tournament publicized/promoted her practice session- if they turned it into an attraction/encouraged people to go there, I would argue that would be her "participating" in the event.

The other interesting thing from this digging is the 10.11.1 (a) (iii) prohibition from "any Event or Competition authorised or organised by any professional league or any international or national-level Event or Competition organisation". If I recall she did a World Team Tennis hit n giggle last year. I think you could feasibly argue this was an "Event organised by a professional league", and therefore she violated the terms of her ineligibility. It's essentially a moot point though, no one in the ITF is going to try to take her on again after all of the bad publicity they got last time around.
Today 12:49 PM
Fiero425 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Cry me a river! She's being managed by a reputable firm; either she didn't tell them what drugs she was on or they didn't tell her! I'm betting she ignored the ban and figured "I've been on this heart medication for over 10 years! I'll be ok!" No she wasn't and she needs to take her punishment without kvetchin'! What was the rush? She didn't need to come back on the very last day of suspension! Screw her! - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fa...kovic.html -

(This post was last modified: Today 01:01 PM by Fiero425.)
Today 12:58 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

(Today 12:49 PM)delPoFearhand Wrote:  The WTA, imo, applied the rules set down by the ITF TADP correctly. Those rules just have a gaping loophole in them:

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/rule...rview.aspx
Quote:10.11 Status During Ineligibility:
10.11.1 Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility:
(a) No Participant who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, play, coach or otherwise participate in any capacity in (or, if the Person is a Player Support Personnel, assist any Player playing, coaching or otherwise participating in any capacity in):
(i) any Covered Event;
(ii) any other Event or Competition or activity (other than authorised anti-doping education or rehabilitation programmes) authorised, organised or sanctioned by the ITF, the ATP, the WTA, any National Association or member of a National Association, or any Signatory, Signatory's member organisation, or club or member organisation of that Signatory's member organisation;
(iii) any Event or Competition authorised or organised by any professional league or any international or national-level Event or Competition organisation; or
(iv) any elite or national-level sporting activity funded by a governmental agency.

and

Quote:10.11.2 Without prejudice to the generality of Article 10.11.1, a Participant shall not, during any period of Ineligibility, be given accreditation for, or otherwise granted access to, any Covered Event or any other Event or Competition or activity authorised, organised or sanctioned by the ITF, the ATP, the WTA, any National Association or member of a National Association, and any such accreditation previously issued shall be withdrawn.

The WTA lawyers decided (and I think I would agree in terms of legal analysis) that just being in the draw is not "participating" in the event. For me "participating" start once one actually steps out on the court to play or does a promotional appearance (such as being at the draw ceremony).

The annoyance for Maria, though, is 10.11.2 specifically restricts them from granting her a credential or access to the tournament, causing the weird situation where she can't pick up her badge until the morning she plays (which is her first day being eligible again). Otherwise, I think you could make a viable argument that she could even be on site & practice there without "participating" in the tournament, although the latter would depend on how/if the tournament publicized/promoted her practice session- if they turned it into an attraction/encouraged people to go there, I would argue that would be her "participating" in the event.

The other interesting thing from this digging is the 10.11.1 (a) (iii) prohibition from "any Event or Competition authorised or organised by any professional league or any international or national-level Event or Competition organisation". If I recall she did a World Team Tennis hit n giggle last year. I think you could feasibly argue this was an "Event organised by a professional league", and therefore she violated the terms of her ineligibility. It's essentially a moot point though, no one in the ITF is going to try to take her on again after all of the bad publicity they got last time around.

You are missing the key point. The first round matches are typically played on the first two days of the tournament, i.e., Monday and Tuesday. They are letting Maria play her first round match on Wednesday as she is banned from playing until Tuesday. If this is not bending over backwards to accommodate her, then what do you call it?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
Today 01:04 PM
delPoFearhand Offline
Pro

That's the tournament's call though. The WTA can't tell them which days to schedule which matches.

The situation the WTA is presented with is: if she does not play until Wednesday, do the rules allow it. And the answer is yes. If the tournament didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make that guarantee, then their answer would be different.

My point being: the tournament is the one doing the bending over, probably because Porsche is their title sponsor and Maria is one of their "brand ambassadors". The WTA is just interpreting a bad rule set (that isn't theirs) applied to a good strategy by a tournament & brand representatives. Blame the ITF for the rules, or the tournament for the leniency, but as I see it the WTA is basically caught in the middle here.
Today 01:09 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

WTA is no saint nor is it particularly eager with sanctioning Maria or enforcing it strictly. As everybody know, WTA chief sent out "talking points" to other WTA players telling them they are not supposed to criticize Maria if the press folks ask questions about the incident. It severely backfired as even that Memo got released to the press by some irritated player.

Today 01:32 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,964
(Today 01:09 PM)delPoFearhand Wrote:  That's the tournament's call though. The WTA can't tell them which days to schedule which matches.

The situation the WTA is presented with is: if she does not play until Wednesday, do the rules allow it. And the answer is yes. If the tournament didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make that guarantee, then their answer would be different.

My point being: the tournament is the one doing the bending over, probably because Porsche is their title sponsor and Maria is one of their "brand ambassadors". The WTA is just interpreting a bad rule set (that isn't theirs) applied to a good strategy by a tournament & brand representatives. Blame the ITF for the rules, or the tournament for the leniency, but as I see it the WTA is basically caught in the middle here.
I've held true to the fact that this is the tournament's doing. They know exactly how to push the envelope and they're doing it. That's why if I was a top player (like Kerber), I wouldn't play there because it's a slap in the face to the current top players who worked really hard to acquire the ranking and to be healthy enough to play there.
Today 01:36 PM
delPoFearhand Offline
Pro

Fair enough. For the record, I agree with you from a common sense standpoint that she should not be allowed to play. It's one of those letter vs spirit of the law things.

And not surprisingly, the WTA is also to some degree capitulating to sponsors' interest in Maria. That memo was a terrible misstep by them, I agree.
Today 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)