BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Sharapova fails drug test
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 3,090
RE: Sharapova fails drug test
(07-Mar-2016 06:39 PM)the AntiPusher Wrote:  
(07-Mar-2016 06:31 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(07-Mar-2016 06:25 PM)10sfan Wrote:  I can't believe she did not know. Her team would have told her. My guess is that she chose to gamble, probably deciding to get off it as soon as AO is done and hope to not get caught. She is guilty; what kind of punishment is given remains the question. If the governing body does not apply the one year ban, it is setting a bad precedent.

Setting a one year ban would be bad. It should be 2 years. The drug she was taking for 10 years has a 2 month half life so she must be one hell of an idiot 'cos taking it 2 months prior and still having it in your system when tested is as dense as it gets.

I think it will be one year ban only

Sadly, this is probably the reality. They'll make up some bs like, as the drug was previously not a banned substance, we've decided to cut the sentence in half, etc. Which is pathetic.
(This post was last modified: 07-Mar-2016 06:42 PM by Front242.)
07-Mar-2016 06:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Carol35 Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 752
This article about that medicine and others is from October 2015

http://roidvisor.com/performance-enhanci...gly-legal/
(This post was last modified: 07-Mar-2016 07:10 PM by Carol35.)
07-Mar-2016 06:58 PM
Fefe26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 3
even though i am not a fan, i feel bad for her.
07-Mar-2016 07:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fefe26's post:
Tenfan63 (03-07-2016)
Fefe26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 3
im curious to see how her sponsors react.
07-Mar-2016 07:19 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 255
for ten long years she has been doping and they probably ignored it....she got careless.I think that withdrawal from USA Open is highly suspicious.....no matter how ESPN will try to spin this doping is doping..and to remember they were throwing it into Serena s face that she is the highest paid athelete in the world...karma is a female dog y all..

Popcorn
07-Mar-2016 07:25 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,419
(07-Mar-2016 06:39 PM)the AntiPusher Wrote:  
(07-Mar-2016 06:31 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(07-Mar-2016 06:25 PM)10sfan Wrote:  I can't believe she did not know. Her team would have told her. My guess is that she chose to gamble, probably deciding to get off it as soon as AO is done and hope to not get caught. She is guilty; what kind of punishment is given remains the question. If the governing body does not apply the one year ban, it is setting a bad precedent.

Setting a one year ban would be bad. It should be 2 years. The drug she was taking for 10 years has a 2 month half life so she must be one hell of an idiot 'cos taking it 2 months prior and still having it in your system when tested is as dense as it gets.

I think it will be one year ban only

Apparently, the normal ban for this type of violation is 1 year. Considering Maria is famous (we all know these things play a role) and considering this is a recently banned drug, she will get only 6 months ban. On top of it, they will do it retroactively from the day she lost in AO. So, basically by the end of July Maria would be back in action, proudly holding the flag of Russia (a country of full dopers) at the Olympics as the chief doper.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
07-Mar-2016 08:00 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Accordign to ITF, Maria will be suspended beginning 12th of March. I don't think she can escape without at least a six month ban, no matter how innocent she may claim to be. So, the ban would end on September 12th. Incidentally, that is a day after USO finals. So, this year, dominatrix will not be able to play RG, Wimby, Olympics and USO even assuming least possible penalty.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
07-Mar-2016 08:28 PM
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 19
Regardless of what happens, I can't see the Olympics allowing her to compete. I think she will get a slap on the wrist though given her mistake excuse. I think she will be back either at the US Open or Australian Open not a full 2 year ban.
07-Mar-2016 08:33 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Jennifer Capriati has released multiple twitter messages condemning Dominatrix. Jenny says she never took any PEDs and lost her career as she was playing by the rules. Jenny was only into other kind of drugs, I suppose.

07-Mar-2016 08:36 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

doping is doping she must get the full penalty,she only got caught otherwise she would have continued using
#dopefiend

Popcorn
07-Mar-2016 08:44 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes tossip's post:
Tennisman12345 (03-08-2016)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

As per the Tennis antidoping agency,

1. If someone does this intentionally, the ban is for four years.
2. If the substance is found in the system, but not by intention, then the ban is two years.
3. If 2 above applies and there are mitigating circumstance, then the ban is one year.

So, unless there is a clause that says "If 3 above applies and the player involved is very famous, then the ban is six months", Maria will be out for one year.

See this ESPN clip

(This post was last modified: 07-Mar-2016 08:53 PM by GameSetAndMath.)
07-Mar-2016 08:51 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

there will always be an asterisk on her wins from 06...that AO08,RG X2...apparently she was desperate to beat Serena because she got caught straight after her match against Serena.
she better humble herself now because she was looking very smug...

Popcorn
07-Mar-2016 09:01 PM
10sfan Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 136
Should this affect Hall of Fame entry? She did win four majors while playing with the advantage the drug gave her.

I have lost all respect for Martina N who is supporting Pova. It is her fault this screamer is on tour in the first place. After messing up Aga's game, I didn't think I could dislike her less, but I do now.
(This post was last modified: 08-Mar-2016 01:52 AM by 10sfan.)
07-Mar-2016 09:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 10sfan's post:
hoergren (03-07-2016)
the AntiPusher Online
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 1,160
(07-Mar-2016 08:51 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  As per the Tennis antidoping agency,

1. If someone does this intentionally, the ban is for four years.
2. If the substance is found in the system, but not by intention, then the ban is two years.
3. If 2 above applies and there are mitigating circumstance, then the ban is one year.

So, unless there is a clause that says "If 3 above applies and the player involved is very famous, then the ban is six months", Maria will be out for one year.

See this ESPN clip
Thanks GSM, I just saw this same statement on ESPN, 2-4 years per her lawyer. That is crucial
07-Mar-2016 09:48 PM
hoergren Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 599
BREAKING: Nike suspends relationship with Maria Sharapova after the tennis star said she failed a drug test.

[Image: Cc_l-YgWIAEG0Vz.jpg]
07-Mar-2016 10:04 PM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 896
Never been a fan of Sharapova and I'll admit I've been pretty critical of her in the past but I feel bad for her on this one. She was taking legal medication to help her with whatever and then on Jan. 1 it was made an illegal substance. She said she didn't check like she should but I put the blame on her doctors and team with all their matching T-shirts for dropping the ball on this one. To check all this stuff and make sure it's not illegal is their job isn't it? She has training and matches and all her promo jobs to take care of. But it's her team so she's responsible. I think she'll get six months suspension which will allow here to rest up, get completely healed and come back for one last go at it.

[Image: imageedit_5_7890556726a_zpsigv0fbdw.jpg] Mark your spot on the Tennis Frontier map!
07-Mar-2016 11:24 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Kirijax's post:
Johancf (03-08-2016), Riotbeard (03-08-2016), Tenfan63 (03-08-2016)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

(07-Mar-2016 05:46 PM)herios Wrote:  
(07-Mar-2016 05:23 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  Incidentally, WADA had announced that it is adding this stuff to banned list in September itself
although the ban would be effective from Jan 1 2016. So, the excuse that the drug has a half life of 2 months and so it would be in her system even if she has taken it before Jan 1st is not valid. They announced early so that people can stop taking immediately and get it out of the system.

I think the athletes are not following closely what WADA announcements, but rather is the doctors who are working with them and I think they should inform the athletes ahead of time.
Maria is not the only one who got caught off guard by the banning of this medicine.
Another Russian athlete in a sport I am following closely, figure skater Ekaterina Bobrova, ice dancer, who finished 3rd at the European championships with her partner Dmitri Soloviev, also tested positive at the European championships, which took place at the end of January in Bratislava. Interestingly, this announcement broke this morning as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter...-1.3478989

It is not that suddenly this drug had become illegal from legal overnight. The last few years this drug was under the category of "monitored but not banned". This means even though they will not penalize you if found in your system, they do check for its presence. So, Maria and her team surely know that this is in the borderline situation. When you are consuming a drug on the borderline, you better be on the watch out for when it is announced as illegal.

07-Mar-2016 11:47 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

After the press conference, her attorney, John Haggerty, said "a positive drug test could result in a ban of up to four years" from the International Tennis Federation. But he added that "mitigating circumstances can lead to the elimination of a ban altogether. ... We're still determining what we are going to request of them. I've asked them to have a cooperative process."

Looks like the high powered attorneys might try to get her out with a slap in the wrist. Obviously, her own press conference is to make sure that the endorsements are not seriously hurt.

08-Mar-2016 12:01 AM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Tignor weighs in on Maria's conundrum.

Meldonium is not approved by FDA in US. Given that Masha lives in US, it is very strange that
she is consuming this Latvian made drug. So, I would think clearly due to it benefits as PED.

08-Mar-2016 12:52 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes GameSetAndMath's post:
10sfan (03-08-2016)
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

all her fans from ESPN are conveniently quiet...that stupid boy Ryan Harrison had the audacity to ay that she is classy...

Popcorn
08-Mar-2016 01:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)