BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Poll: Will Serena get 22 or more slams?
This poll is closed.
Yes 22 0% 0 0%
Yes 23 36.36% 4 36.36%
Yes 24 36.36% 4 36.36%
Yes 25+ 27.27% 3 27.27%
No 0% 0 0%
Total 11 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Will Serena reach 22 slams? More?
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 19
RE: Will Serena reach 22 slams? More?
That is what I was alluding to that something is going screwy in the routine where she is picking up these illnesses not that she hasn't been sick during tournaments before, but it seems to be happening more frequently than it did in the past. Age can do that to you. I suppose also it is harder to fight in general and do some preventative type measures with the restrictions on what players can take in general or risk a positive drug test.
09-Jun-2015 11:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 255
well.. she will need gloves masks and sanitizer at Wimbledon...
(This post was last modified: 09-Jun-2015 03:29 PM by tossip.)
09-Jun-2015 03:27 PM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 896
It would be nice to see Serena go through a tournament without getting sick once. Just for old times sake, just run straight through a Slam draw without dropping s single set or getting her serve broke once. She could do that at Wimbledon.

Sidetracking question: Has Serena ever said which Grand Slam tournament is her favorite? Can't imagine the U.S. Open would be after all she has gone through there over the years.

[Image: imageedit_5_7890556726a_zpsigv0fbdw.jpg] Mark your spot on the Tennis Frontier map!
09-Jun-2015 09:52 PM
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

I think her favorite one is whichever one she is winning at the moment, but I am inclined to believe she prefers Australia. She speaks highly of the crowd and reception she receives there more so than any other slam.
09-Jun-2015 10:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sundaymorningguy's post:
Kirijax (06-09-2015)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,415
(09-Jun-2015 09:52 PM)Kirijax Wrote:  It would be nice to see Serena go through a tournament without getting sick once. Just for old times sake, just run straight through a Slam draw without dropping s single set or getting her serve broke once. She could do that at Wimbledon.

Sidetracking question: Has Serena ever said which Grand Slam tournament is her favorite? Can't imagine the U.S. Open would be after all she has gone through there over the years.

In order for her to do that, I think she needs to be ranked outside top 80.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
10-Jun-2015 12:07 AM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(10-Jun-2015 12:07 AM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  
(09-Jun-2015 09:52 PM)Kirijax Wrote:  It would be nice to see Serena go through a tournament without getting sick once. Just for old times sake, just run straight through a Slam draw without dropping s single set or getting her serve broke once. She could do that at Wimbledon.

In order for her to do that, I think she needs to be ranked outside top 80.

lol True!

[Image: imageedit_5_7890556726a_zpsigv0fbdw.jpg] Mark your spot on the Tennis Frontier map!
10-Jun-2015 12:12 AM
Calvy Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 0

I guess you have a short memory.

Did you not watch the most recent US Open?
10-Jun-2015 08:12 PM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(10-Jun-2015 08:12 PM)Calvy Wrote:  

I guess you have a short memory.

Did you not watch the most recent US Open?

Yeah, loved it! But after the last two hard-fought slams, I'm ready for another. Wink

10-Jun-2015 08:28 PM
memad Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 479
She will not get tired n keep going till she wins no.25...will set records n then may retire...by the time, her body might wear down too...
11-Jun-2015 03:05 AM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(11-Jun-2015 03:05 AM)memad Wrote:  She will not get tired n keep going till she wins no.25...will set records n then may retire...by the time, her body might wear down too...

Welcome to Tennis Frontier! And I hope you're right! About the first part that is. Would love to see her zip past Graf and Court for the all time record.

11-Jun-2015 05:58 AM
federberg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 1,033
^25 would be a good number Big Smile
11-Jun-2015 06:41 AM
sk310 Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 27
In moments like this 25 seems very possible and doable. Then you kind of have to factor in years like 2014 where she only won one slam. If that happens again I'm not sure it can be followed by another year of great results.
11-Jun-2015 07:42 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes sk310's post:
federberg (06-11-2015)
federberg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

^The end often comes swiftly and unannounced. All we can do as human's is extrapolate, but in the understanding that when reality arrives it's often unexpected
11-Jun-2015 07:46 AM
sk310 Offline
Masters Titleist

(11-Jun-2015 07:46 AM)federberg Wrote:  ^The end often comes swiftly and unannounced. All we can do as human's is extrapolate, but in the understanding that when reality arrives it's often unexpected

Agreed. Which is kind of why I would like Serena to go out on top. Kind of announce that she's going to be playing a "goodbye" year and then retire. I'd hate to see her start losing and feeling frustrated.
11-Jun-2015 01:09 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 255
Serena will retire in three yrs time...thats my feeling ..at the yec..so your favorites will have to wait two to three years to win slams.
(This post was last modified: 11-Jun-2015 01:46 PM by tossip.)
11-Jun-2015 01:45 PM
federberg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

^I would be surprised if you're right. She's 34 already. It wouldn't shock me, if the next serious relationship she has forces a revision of her priorities. I just hope she hurries up and gets past Graf. I couldn't care less about Court's record. For my money if she even matches Graf, she is unquestionably the female GOAT
11-Jun-2015 02:00 PM
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

I can't see Serena being like this is my goodbye year. I think we will have our suspicions, but I think she will announce her retirement when she is actually close to retiring unless an injury forces it immediately. However, her team seems to be taking the right steps in preventative measures. I think as long as she thinks she can win she will continue playing. We may even see her limit her schedule to key events and just enough match play to get by before the slams. If she has something to defend interns of slams then I think she will or she may decide once she loses number 1 it is time. I think she has gotten to the point where achievements really mean something to her, so as long as there is something within her power to achieve then she will go for it.

On a side note, I can see her doing some doubles after retirement and maybe achieve the boxed set of slams by claiming AO and FO mixed titles.
(This post was last modified: 11-Jun-2015 02:14 PM by Sundaymorningguy.)
11-Jun-2015 02:13 PM
sk310 Offline
Masters Titleist

(11-Jun-2015 02:13 PM)Sundaymorningguy Wrote:  I can't see Serena being like this is my goodbye year. I think we will have our suspicions, but I think she will announce her retirement when she is actually close to retiring unless an injury forces it immediately. However, her team seems to be taking the right steps in preventative measures. I think as long as she thinks she can win she will continue playing. We may even see her limit her schedule to key events and just enough match play to get by before the slams. If she has something to defend interns of slams then I think she will or she may decide once she loses number 1 it is time. I think she has gotten to the point where achievements really mean something to her, so as long as there is something within her power to achieve then she will go for it.

On a side note, I can see her doing some doubles after retirement and maybe achieve the boxed set of slams by claiming AO and FO mixed titles.

I don't know... I think she's been really motivated the last few years. We all forget the times where it seems like she could care less about playing. I think one thing that could keep her playing is Patrick. Their relationship kind of centers around the tour.
11-Jun-2015 02:27 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,992
(11-Jun-2015 02:13 PM)Sundaymorningguy Wrote:  I can't see Serena being like this is my goodbye year. I think we will have our suspicions, but I think she will announce her retirement when she is actually close to retiring unless an injury forces it immediately. However, her team seems to be taking the right steps in preventative measures. I think as long as she thinks she can win she will continue playing. We may even see her limit her schedule to key events and just enough match play to get by before the slams. If she has something to defend interns of slams then I think she will or she may decide once she loses number 1 it is time. I think she has gotten to the point where achievements really mean something to her, so as long as there is something within her power to achieve then she will go for it.

I think we know who her mixed partner would be now. Her BMF on the men's tour. Idea

Hint, Hint: He just won RG.
11-Jun-2015 02:33 PM
Kirijax Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(11-Jun-2015 02:00 PM)federberg Wrote:  ^I would be surprised if you're right. She's 34 already. It wouldn't shock me, if the next serious relationship she has forces a revision of her priorities. I just hope she hurries up and gets past Graf. I couldn't care less about Court's record. For my money if she even matches Graf, she is unquestionably the female GOAT

With Court's cheap Australian Open titles and the whole Graf-Seles thing, I think Serena is already there. But I never like to say "SHE IS THE GREATEST! END OF DISCUSSION!" Along with Graf, Navratilova and Evert, she is the greatest of all-time. But I sure don't want to see her stop now. Twenty-five is suddenly a very possible number, with the way all the young players keep flaming out.

11-Jun-2015 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)