BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Soccer/Football, The Beautiful Game
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 2,152
Soccer/Football, The Beautiful Game
I know there are some fans here and I thought we could discuss Champions league, or our favourite teams, everything football here. Here is one of my favorite Messi goals to get things started:

18-Apr-2013 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

RE: Soccer/Football, The Beautiful Game
Bayern just crushed Barcelona today...4-0. The only reason I am not saying this tie is done is Messi, because he is not human. But it is %90 done...

23-Apr-2013 07:37 PM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

..and another 4 goal victory, 4-1 this time, for Dortmund. It sure does feel like a shift in power a little bit, from Spain to Germany, even though it is club football. Real has to score 3 without conceding to advance. Again, not impossible, but man, tough...

24-Apr-2013 03:49 PM
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 6,969
Germany 8, Espagne 1.

Why did I not see this coming, eh? I think the level of the two German clubs was stupendous, from their dynamism to their ideas. The Spaniards looked jaded and lost beside them. Madrid were clueless in the second half tonight, but the four-goal wonderboy Lewandowski was extraordinary. He put me in mind of a cross between Ian Rush and Der Bomber.

Are the Spanish sides finished?
24-Apr-2013 04:31 PM
JesuslookslikeBorg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 337
(24-Apr-2013 04:31 PM)Kieran Wrote:  Germany 8, Espagne 1.

Why did I not see this coming, eh? I think the level of the two German clubs was stupendous, from their dynamism to their ideas. The Spaniards looked jaded and lost beside them. Madrid were clueless in the second half tonight, but the four-goal wonderboy Lewandowski was extraordinary. He put me in mind of a cross between Ian Rush and Der Bomber.

Are the Spanish sides finished?

no they are not Barcelona didn't have messi and in the 1st leg he wasn't fit enough to do anything...and they need to stop playing guys as centre backs who are not (mascerano)..and why they don.t use cristian tello more often is puzzling.

(18-Apr-2013 06:29 PM)1972Murat Wrote:  I know there are some fans here and I thought we could discuss Champions league, or our favourite teams, everything football here. Here is one of my favorite Messi goals to get things started:

Messi-iah. Smile

Barcelona will rise again..messi, tello, neymar, bale ??, couple of central defenders, and fings will be ok.

knowing me alan partridge, knowing you tennis frontier..ah ha.
(This post was last modified: 07-May-2013 08:42 PM by JesuslookslikeBorg.)
07-May-2013 08:37 PM
Didi Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 246
ManUnited just confirmed on their official site that Alex Ferguson will retire at the end of this season. Wow, this is shocking because it's surprising. I mean he was going to retire within the next 2-3 years anyway but nobody saw it coming right now. Only some days ago he talked about new transfer targets and that he's going nowhere, that he still has unfinished business etc. Now it seems it was planned a long time ago. I will miss him, his legendary interviews, the way he bullied the media, refs and journos. A legend. Wonder who's going to replace him. My guess is David Moyes.
08-May-2013 03:38 AM
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 6,969
I heard Rafa Benitez is being seriously considered. Tongue

Seriously though, it's a huge shock and the guy has done everything more than once. He stands in the English game like Busby and Shanks and Paisley. He towers over the modern game: look how many rivals he's seen come and go. I hope he has a happy and healthy retirement, because it can't be easy to just switch off and play a round of golf at the time you'd usually be bawling out Rooney...
08-May-2013 04:16 AM
johnsteinbeck Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 338
^ well put Wink
Sir Alex - so much of a legend that it actually feels Right to use the 'sir'.

@Didi - Moyes would be the perfect choice, for sure. i'd love for him to do it.

i wonder if the chewing gum industry is worried about this.
08-May-2013 07:26 AM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Maybe Chelsea and Man U will have a bidding war for Mourinho's services?Wink

08-May-2013 06:22 PM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Benfica - Chelsea under way...all Benfica in the first 15 minutes. Nothing to show for it though...

15-May-2013 02:02 PM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Chelsea scores ! 2 minutes into added time...amazing header from Ivanovic...Game over! 2-1 Chelsea.

15-May-2013 03:37 PM
Didi Offline
Seasoned Pro

(19-May-2013 06:01 PM)Tennisman12345 Wrote:  Anyone excited for Champions league final ?

These two are... Lay Down Laughing

Such a shame Gotze is not able to play, so it all comes down to Gundogan in front of Bender and Sahin. That's my guess. That should still be a strong enough foundation to provide cover for Reus, Kuba and Lewandowski. Had Kagawa not left them for ManUnited, the loss of Gotze wouldn't carry any weight at all. Hummels is also not really fit and still questionable for the final. We will see.

Dortmund has been Bayern's boogeyman over the last 2-3 years but I cannot see Bayern losing this. They have been an incredibly well oiled machine this season with fantastic off the ball movement, relentless pressure, fascinating work ethic and team spirit and efficient counterattacks. Even Robben and Ribery tracked back a lot. You don't beat Juventus 4-0, Barca 7-0 and finish the Bundesliga with 25 points above Dortmund for no reason.

Schweini/Martinez is a physically tough central midfield that you simply can't overrun and it's tough to beat them on the flanks with Alaba and Lahm positioning and defending like no other fullback duo in the world. Dante in the middle is a rock. Up front Muller and Mandzukic move a lot off the ball to draw defenders out of the box to create spaces. They are unpredictable.

I still have some hopes though as Dortmund has been able to keep Ribery and Robben at bay in the past due to their ability to move and defend as a unit against the ball and putting Bayern's midfield under pressure. Pisczek's role was the most vital and will be again. Dortmund's left flank is their weak spot but Hummels and Subotic have been able to make up for that. Weidenfeller vs. Neuer is a toss-up in my opinion. Both had a great season and are absolutely equal. Weide has been tested a lot more though and kept Dortmund in many games this season.

It's also comes down to Henyckes vs. Klopp. Both are great tacticians who drilled their teams to perfection. Heart says and wants Dortmund, head says 3-1 to Bayern. Hey Britbox what do the British people say about an all german final in Wembley? Nightmare? Big Smile
24-May-2013 07:52 AM
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 984
(24-May-2013 07:52 AM)Didi Wrote:  
(19-May-2013 06:01 PM)Tennisman12345 Wrote:  Anyone excited for Champions league final ?

These two are... Lay Down Laughing

Such a shame Gotze is not able to play, so it all comes down to Gundogan in front of Bender and Sahin. That's my guess. That should still be a strong enough foundation to provide cover for Reus, Kuba and Lewandowski. Had Kagawa not left them for ManUnited, the loss of Gotze wouldn't carry any weight at all. Hummels is also not really fit and still questionable for the final. We will see.

Dortmund has been Bayern's boogeyman over the last 2-3 years but I cannot see Bayern losing this. They have been an incredibly well oiled machine this season with fantastic off the ball movement, relentless pressure, fascinating work ethic and team spirit and efficient counterattacks. Even Robben and Ribery tracked back a lot. You don't beat Juventus 4-0, Barca 7-0 and finish the Bundesliga with 25 points above Dortmund for no reason.

Schweini/Martinez is a physically tough central midfield that you simply can't overrun and it's tough to beat them on the flanks with Alaba and Lahm positioning and defending like no other fullback duo in the world. Dante in the middle is a rock. Up front Muller and Mandzukic move a lot off the ball to draw defenders out of the box to create spaces. They are unpredictable.

I still have some hopes though as Dortmund has been able to keep Ribery and Robben at bay in the past due to their ability to move and defend as a unit against the ball and putting Bayern's midfield under pressure. Pisczek's role was the most vital and will be again. Dortmund's left flank is their weak spot but Hummels and Subotic have been able to make up for that. Weidenfeller vs. Neuer is a toss-up in my opinion. Both had a great season and are absolutely equal. Weide has been tested a lot more though and kept Dortmund in many games this season.

It's also comes down to Henyckes vs. Klopp. Both are great tacticians who drilled their teams to perfection. Heart says and wants Dortmund, head says 3-1 to Bayern. Hey Britbox what do the British people say about an all german final in Wembley? Nightmare? Big Smile

Sensible Brits don't mind Germans. You're probably more similar to Brits than any of our European cousins. Your boys will have a good day out at Wembley and it should be trouble-free. I'm routing for Dortmund in this one, basically because I have no dog in the race, so typically rout for the underdog.

On a sidenote Didi, I thought you were French?
(This post was last modified: 24-May-2013 11:12 AM by britbox.)
24-May-2013 11:11 AM
Didi Offline
Seasoned Pro

(24-May-2013 11:11 AM)britbox Wrote:  On a sidenote Didi, I thought you were French?

Yes, I am. But I recently moved to Germany, to Sarrebruck, that's Saarbrücken in German. Argh I must get used to these new ä, ü, ö letters they use in Germany. Have to buy a new keyboard. It's a city close to the French frontier. I found a new job here. The city is nowhere near as big as Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart or Berlin but one can already feel the excitement for the all german final. Smile
24-May-2013 11:34 AM
Grand Slam Champion

the germans are coming..the germans are coming....

..well they're here.

25-May-2013 01:54 PM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Robben....Horrible piece of defending by Dortmund there...Bayern it is. Congrats.

25-May-2013 03:36 PM
Denisovich Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 1,325
Entertaining final. Bayern wasn't as dominant as I expected, but the momentum shifted after 1 - 1. That Bayern defender should have been sent off, just like Lewandovski and Ribery by the way. Robben always seems to miss big opportunities in finals, but this time he didn't let his team down.
25-May-2013 04:47 PM
Iona16 Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 345
I'm gutted for Dortmund. I think they play fantastic football and their coach is brilliant. They had so many chances in the first half. It's such a shame they couldn't take them. The goalkeepers for both teams were great.

I think the referee had a poor game. Bayern were lucky to keep 11 men on the pitch. Ribery could very easily have been sent off and how Dante remained on the pitch is astonishing.

Lest We Forget
25-May-2013 06:05 PM
Grand Slam Champion

5th European cup / champions league for Munich.

25-May-2013 08:51 PM
Iona16 Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 345
Neymar has just joined Barca on a 5 year deal. I've a horrible feeling that Barca have made a mistake. Not a fan of Neymar at all.

Lest We Forget
25-May-2013 09:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)