BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

The greatness of Randy Moss....
calitennis127 Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 25
The greatness of Randy Moss....
I agreed with him when he indicated that he is more talented than Jerry Rice. I think that reality is pretty straightforward.

His 2007 year was sublime. Look at these incredible highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZpPAzHUKE
28-May-2013 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 984
RE: The greatness of Randy Moss....
(28-May-2013 01:11 AM)calitennis127 Wrote:  I agreed with him when he indicated that he is more talented than Jerry Rice. I think that reality is pretty straightforward.

He didn't say he was the most talented. He said he was the greatest receiver to ever play the game. There is a difference. IMO, Rice still deserves that mantle.
28-May-2013 01:22 AM
calitennis127 Offline
Banned

(28-May-2013 01:22 AM)britbox Wrote:  
(28-May-2013 01:11 AM)calitennis127 Wrote:  I agreed with him when he indicated that he is more talented than Jerry Rice. I think that reality is pretty straightforward.

He didn't say he was the most talented. He said he was the greatest receiver to ever play the game. There is a difference. IMO, Rice still deserves that mantle.

Yes, I know that. That is what I chose my words carefully when I said "he indicated that he is more talented than Jerry Rice".

Everyone took his comments a bit too literally, in a statistical sense, if you ask me. Randy Moss obviously doesn't think that 157 touchdowns is superior to 200 touchdowns. What he meant was that no one could take over a game the way he could, not even Jerry Rice. I would argue that T.O. could, and maybe a small handful of others. But the point is, Moss was not wrong to characterize his ability in that way.

I mean, when you look at his highlights from 2007, you can see that it doesn't get much better than that.
(This post was last modified: 28-May-2013 02:04 AM by calitennis127.)
28-May-2013 02:03 AM
johnsteinbeck Offline
Major Winner

Likes Given: 338
thanks for enlightening us on what exactly Randy meant there, and providing us with a highlight reel to prove your point.
28-May-2013 02:42 AM
calitennis127 Offline
Banned

(28-May-2013 02:42 AM)johnsteinbeck Wrote:  thanks for enlightening us on what exactly Randy meant there, and providing us with a highlight reel to prove your point.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but either way, no problem.

Moss was right, and far too much throughout his career at that, and that was his problem (as it was TO's problem as well).

Two very intelligent people with a perfectionist mindset.
28-May-2013 02:52 AM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 919
Randy Moss was a very unique takent but he only plays for himself, he Never sacrificed his body to go across the middle to catch a big pass if the possibility of getting hammered was at a high. Sure, he could stretch the field but I would take Michael Irvin, Rice and TO over Moss any day. Just ask yourself, if you had a receiver to make a play with your well being at risk, would it be Moss, Hell no , Imo.
28-May-2013 04:44 AM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 830
(28-May-2013 04:44 AM)the AntiPusher Wrote:  Randy Moss was a very unique takent but he only plays for himself, he Never sacrificed his body to go across the middle to catch a big pass if the possibility of getting hammered was at a high. Sure, he could stretch the field but I would take Michael Irvin, Rice and TO over Moss any day. Just ask yourself, if you had a receiver to make a play with your well being at risk, would it be Moss, Hell no , Imo.

We have a winner Clap Moss might be the most talented receiver ever from a physical standpoint. 6'4 and crazy athleticism but he is not the greatest by a long shot.

I'd say it might be more accurate to call him the biggest deep threat in NFL history but that's where it ends. The guy barely ever went over the middle and was afraid to take big hits so he often went out of bounds instead of trying to pick up the extra yards. Moss even admitted to taking plays off throughout his career and I'd say he didn't age all that well either.
28-May-2013 07:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)