BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Forum Questions
Billie Offline
Nole Fan

Likes Given: 418
RE: Forum Questions
GSM, I don't know either but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Very good idea about the last post before being banned, to get everything off your chest, and then it can be deleted in a day or 2. Clap

If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world. NT
22-Aug-2014 11:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
(22-Aug-2014 11:21 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  I understand the issues that you mention. I did not mean to give you a rigid protocol,
but a sample sketch. The key elements must be to bring in more heads into the process
and have a delay in final decision so that heat of the moment does not adversely
influence the decisions.

As others have said, this is essentially the way we currently do things. With big decisions, such as whether or not someone should be banned, we operate by majority vote, and the dissenter(s) support the decision. But these kinds of decisions are discussed over several days, if not weeks, whereas deleting a post can sometimes require quick action. If that happens the mods will alert the others what happened, and why, and we'll discuss it.

Mainly, though, I want to stress the absolute rarity of deletions. The concept has been in the spotlight recently due to a new policy being implemented, but this is actually a sign of how rarely we delete things. Now that it has happened, it has caught several people's attention because it's something unusual. If we deleted posts on a regular basis, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In a way, then, this should be interpreted as a good sign.
23-Aug-2014 01:34 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like tented's post:
britbox (08-23-2014), Kieran (08-23-2014), Moxie629 (08-23-2014), Riotbeard (08-25-2014)
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 7,076
I love all this stuff about comparing the forum to living in China, Korea, Russia, Israel and Palestine. It brings it home to me how important we all are, and just how momentous a thing it is that we reached a major accord on civilised behaviour... Wink

Approved
23-Aug-2014 01:38 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kieran's post:
britbox (08-23-2014)
JesuslookslikeBorg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 337
one day we will all live in peace inside a spare pair of mc hammers massive trousers.

knowing me alan partridge, knowing you tennis frontier..ah ha.
25-Aug-2014 08:52 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JesuslookslikeBorg's post:
1972Murat (08-26-2014), Riotbeard (08-25-2014)
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 3,058
(23-Aug-2014 01:34 AM)tented Wrote:  
(22-Aug-2014 11:21 PM)GameSetAndMath Wrote:  I understand the issues that you mention. I did not mean to give you a rigid protocol,
but a sample sketch. The key elements must be to bring in more heads into the process
and have a delay in final decision so that heat of the moment does not adversely
influence the decisions.

As others have said, this is essentially the way we currently do things. With big decisions, such as whether or not someone should be banned, we operate by majority vote, and the dissenter(s) support the decision. But these kinds of decisions are discussed over several days, if not weeks, whereas deleting a post can sometimes require quick action. If that happens the mods will alert the others what happened, and why, and we'll discuss it.

Mainly, though, I want to stress the absolute rarity of deletions. The concept has been in the spotlight recently due to a new policy being implemented, but this is actually a sign of how rarely we delete things. Now that it has happened, it has caught several people's attention because it's something unusual. If we deleted posts on a regular basis, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In a way, then, this should be interpreted as a good sign.

It's clearly not the case that the deletion of posts goes to a majority vote as certain people here just take offense to anything about a certain player and hit the warning and delete button immediately.

Said person can't even take a bit of humour to what was posted as a joke in response to a user's signature here. I'll spell it out for those who missed it. NADAL2005RG has a signature with a quote from John McEnroe about Nadal. I posted another actual quote from Patrick McEnroe about Nadal and here is the message I received for what was posted as a joke.

"spurious doping allegations after being warned" (+2 points) <---- Now seeing as I've shown my post to other members of the staff here who could see the humour aspect of it, the post was neither a doping allegation or worthy of deletion or a warning (since it was an actual quote by Patrick McEnroe) and was definitely not a majority vote but just sour grapes from one person on the team here. So, no..things are not done fairly here.
26-Aug-2014 12:20 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Front242's post:
GameSetAndMath (09-08-2014)
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

The same team member gave me this also "Ignoring moderation - reposting deleted info" (+2 points) eventhough it was pointed out to multiple staff members that the post was made to defend against people here accusing me of trolling and bs and and not a case of "ignoring moderation". Again, nothing more than sour grapes by the same person. If you think that's treating people fairly I'm a monkey's uncle.
26-Aug-2014 12:22 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Oh and don't forget all and sundry are allowed to call me a troll, racist, Nadal hater, delusional, accusations of being on PEDs and medication but yet nothing happens to them. Class. Good work and yes, oh so fair. Clap Pat on the back. Make it a cow pat. A big steaming fly infested one.
26-Aug-2014 12:31 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

^ Btw, this only applies to basically the same one person as I'm 100% sure this was not a majority vote and no one else was even approached to make a call as those fair minded mods out there would not have done such a thing so all the decent people, you're all excluded.
26-Aug-2014 12:48 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Interactions between admins/mods & users are private. We don't publicize who has been given warnings, who has been suspended, etc.

This privacy has led some users to think nothing is being done to "the other guy." It's incorrect to assume nothing was done to others just because something was done to you. It's none of your business what happens to others, and it's none of their business what happens to you.

In short, you're making false assumptions.
26-Aug-2014 12:49 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

(26-Aug-2014 12:49 PM)tented Wrote:  Interactions between admins/mods & users are private. We don't publicize who has been given warnings, who has been suspended, etc.

This privacy has led some users to think nothing is being done to "the other guy." It's incorrect to assume nothing was done to others just because something was done to you. It's none of your business what happens to others, and it's none of their business what happens to you.

I know nothing is being done to "the other guy"(s) because I was told so. I've a pm saying if said people continue to keep calling me or others what I've listed above they will receive a warning(s) also. So since they haven't obviously the double standards are clear and it's bs.
(This post was last modified: 26-Aug-2014 12:56 PM by Front242.)
26-Aug-2014 12:55 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

(26-Aug-2014 12:55 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(26-Aug-2014 12:49 PM)tented Wrote:  Interactions between admins/mods & users are private. We don't publicize who has been given warnings, who has been suspended, etc.

I know nothing is being done to "the other guy"(s) because I was told so. I've a pm saying if said people continue to keep calling me or others what I've listed above they will receive a warning(s) also. So since they haven't obviously the double standards are clear and it's bs.

You're wrong, Front. You have no way of knowing who has been given a warning. Just because users say they weren't, that doesn't mean it's true. People lie.
(This post was last modified: 26-Aug-2014 01:05 PM by tented.)
26-Aug-2014 01:00 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

(26-Aug-2014 01:00 PM)tented Wrote:  

You're wrong, Front. You have no way of knowing who has been given a warning. Just because someone says they weren't, that doesn't mean it's true. People lie.

tented I'm not wrong and I'll quote what was told to me by the person in question and in fact you were copied on the message:

"I've told you that I've asked them to stop, and if they don't, they'll get an official warning."

^ That means, currently said people calling me every name under the sun got no warnings and are allowed way more chances than me. It's not open for debate. The double standards are ridiculous and blatantly clear. The message was from Aug 22nd and you can read it again and see that I'm 100% right.
(This post was last modified: 26-Aug-2014 01:09 PM by Front242.)
26-Aug-2014 01:06 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

(26-Aug-2014 01:06 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(26-Aug-2014 01:00 PM)tented Wrote:  

You're wrong, Front. You have no way of knowing who has been given a warning. Just because someone says they weren't, that doesn't mean it's true. People lie.

tented I'm not wrong and I'll quote what I was told to me by the person in question and in fact you were copied on the message:

"I've told you that I've asked them to stop, and if they don't, they'll get an official warning."

^ That means, currently said people calling me every name under the sun got no warnings and are allowed way more chances than me. It's not open for debate. The double standards are ridiculous and blatantly clear. The message was from Aug 22nd and you can read it again and see that I'm 100% right.

That doesn't mean warnings haven't been given out since. Again, you're making false assumptions about things which are private. Just because you put your own warnings on blast doesn't mean others do.
26-Aug-2014 01:09 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

^ Pull the other one. You know they haven't.
26-Aug-2014 01:10 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

(26-Aug-2014 01:10 PM)Front242 Wrote:  ^ Pull the other one. You know they haven't.

OK, apparently you think you've come up with a clever way of tricking me into naming names. It won't work. Sorry!

Enough of this. This is a personal matter with you. It isn't about forum policy. If you have any other questions on this, PM me. Don't turn this thread into your personal rant.
(This post was last modified: 26-Aug-2014 01:20 PM by tented.)
26-Aug-2014 01:13 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

^ It has everything to do with forum policy since it was claimed a majority vote was used to make decisions. I've pointed out this is untrue and certain people abuse their power and victimize others, in this case, me.
26-Aug-2014 01:24 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

(26-Aug-2014 01:24 PM)Front242 Wrote:  ^ It has everything to do with forum policy since it was claimed a majority vote was used to make decisions. I've pointed out this is untrue and certain people abuse their power and victimize others, in this case, me.

Re-read it, Front. At no point did I state a majority vote was used to make all decisions. In fact, I purposely made a point of stating there are instances when that's not even possible.
26-Aug-2014 01:27 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

(26-Aug-2014 01:27 PM)tented Wrote:  
(26-Aug-2014 01:24 PM)Front242 Wrote:  ^ It has everything to do with forum policy since it was claimed a majority vote was used to make decisions. I've pointed out this is untrue and certain people abuse their power and victimize others, in this case, me.

Re-read it, Front. At no point did I state a majority vote was used to make all decisions. In fact, I purposely made a point of stating there are instances when that's not even possible.

Well there should be. Otherwise you have one person with a trigger happy warning button index finger doing as they please with no intervention from others to see the glaring unfairness and stupidity of their actions. You should also re-read where I said that I showed said post to other team members here who saw the humourous side of my post and laughed at it being on the receiving end of a warning. Clearly very sensitive people here with serious sour grapes.
26-Aug-2014 01:32 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

(26-Aug-2014 01:32 PM)Front242 Wrote:  
(26-Aug-2014 01:27 PM)tented Wrote:  

Well there should be. Otherwise you have one person with a trigger happy warning button index finger doing as they please with no intervention from others to see the glaring unfairness and stupidity of their actions. You should also re-read where I said that I showed said post to other team members here who saw the humourous side of my post and laughed at it being on the receiving end of a warning. Clearly very sensitive people here with serious sour grapes.

Well there can't always be. Again, as I wrote above there are times when a mod must act quickly -- there simply isn't time for discussion. To think there should always be a majority vote is completely unrealistic.

However, as I also wrote, even in these instances the mod will alert the others afterwards, and it will be discussed. In some cases the deleted post will be restored; in others it won't.

As for your claim that you showed said post to other team members who laughed at your receiving a warning: If something was approved by the majority, then even if someone from the minority agrees with you, the majority opinion still stands. All admins/mods have fallen on both sides of this fence at one time or another.

Finally, let me state again, my comments are meant to depict the process in general. I'm not going to continue discussing specifics related to you in public.
(This post was last modified: 26-Aug-2014 07:14 PM by tented.)
26-Aug-2014 06:04 PM
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,370
influence the decisions.

Anyway, taking a cue from Israel and Palestine, let us all declare ceasefile until midnight
of Monday, the 8th of September. Chillout

OK, well, I congratulate GSM for respecting the ceasefire till the said time.

Oh, No, GSM is not going to start a war now, just because the ceasefire is over.

All of these drama at Tennis Frontier (TF) was done to prevent discussion of doping in tennis and
allegations with some basis but not hundred per cent proof. It is pure irony that now with Marin Cilic
winning USO, the internet will explode with allegations of doping in tennis and this might
even lead to some actual exposures. TF can now decide as to whether they want to become
a leader in these discussions, which will invariably happen over the internet (whether or
not TF wants to indulge in them) or leave it out and become irrelevant.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
08-Sep-2014 11:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)