BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Botham picks his greatest fast bowler
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 984
Botham picks his greatest fast bowler

20-May-2014 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,366
RE: Botham picks his greatest fast bowler
I don't think Dennis Lillie's pace comes close to that of anyone from
the Gang of Marshal, Roberts, Holder.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
20-May-2014 05:57 PM
tennisville Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 57
I personally think that the west Indian bowlers were much faster than Lillie as well

To me the most dangerous bowler was Waqar Younis
28-May-2014 10:24 PM
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

It should never just about speed though when determining fast bowlers otherwise you'd probably go with Malcolm Marshall and Jeff Thomson at their peaks.
29-May-2014 09:40 AM
JesuslookslikeBorg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 337
remember Patrick Patterson of w-indies against England in 1986..graham gooch said he was actually scared when he was facing him.

I remember his test debut on midweek sports special or sportsnight highlights (5-37 I think) Patterson was nasty..looked like ben Johnson from what I remember and similar build.

knowing me alan partridge, knowing you tennis frontier..ah ha.
01-Jun-2014 04:17 PM
bajana Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 152
(01-Jun-2014 04:17 PM)JesuslookslikeBorg Wrote:  remember Patrick Patterson of w-indies against England in 1986..graham gooch said he was actually scared when he was facing him.

I remember his test debut on midweek sports special or sportsnight highlights (5-37 I think) Patterson was nasty..looked like ben Johnson from what I remember and similar build.

ha yeh.. he was just plain menacing. Another "h'ignorant Jamaican" was Roy Gilchrist. I remember an Empire groundsman describing Gilchrist's first spell at Kensington. He said "when the batsman was going through the motions of his stroke, the ball had already hit the sight screen and rebounded into play" Big Smile

Outside of the "Fast and Furious" (the West Indies fast bowlers), Thommo bowled one of the fastest spells I ever saw at Kensington Oval - took 5 of the best out that evening IIRC. If Lillee had been at the other end, we'd have been skittled out in that one session, I swear. That was just around the Packer separation, so Lillee wasn't in the team.
10-Mar-2015 03:55 PM
Grand Slam Champion

shane bond was super quick..sadly couldn't stay fit for long. so fast his body couldn't keep up.

another injury riddled quickie, mr 100mph of Pakistan..shoaib ahktar, the fastest fringe in the east.

(This post was last modified: 11-Mar-2015 08:43 PM by JesuslookslikeBorg.)
11-Mar-2015 08:41 PM
britbox Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(10-Mar-2015 03:55 PM)bajana Wrote:  
(01-Jun-2014 04:17 PM)JesuslookslikeBorg Wrote:  remember Patrick Patterson of w-indies against England in 1986..graham gooch said he was actually scared when he was facing him.

ha yeh.. he was just plain menacing. Another "h'ignorant Jamaican" was Roy Gilchrist. I remember an Empire groundsman describing Gilchrist's first spell at Kensington. He said "when the batsman was going through the motions of his stroke, the ball had already hit the sight screen and rebounded into play" Big Smile

Outside of the "Fast and Furious" (the West Indies fast bowlers), Thommo bowled one of the fastest spells I ever saw at Kensington Oval - took 5 of the best out that evening IIRC. If Lillee had been at the other end, we'd have been skittled out in that one session, I swear. That was just around the Packer separation, so Lillee wasn't in the team.

Hey bajana... If you had to pick - who's your #1 West Indian fast bowler of all time?
12-Mar-2015 07:52 AM
federberg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 1,033
^ Michael Holding for me. Although some spells by Curtley Ambrose were a bit nasty as well, and you can never not talk about Malcolm Marshall.

What I find really amazing though is that fact that Viv Richards would walk out and bat without a helmet in an era when fast bowlers were common place. Don't care what anyone says, Sir Viv is the one cricketer I would have stopped and watched. Not been another like him since... the presence of the man.. brooding hostility
07-Apr-2015 09:24 AM
Grand Slam Champion

curtley ambrose and Malcolm marshall..yikes.

big curtley with pinpoint accuracy and steepling bounce..marshall also had pinpoint accuracy but late swing into/away from the bamboozled batsmen.

09-Apr-2015 07:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)