BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Poll: Who wins?
Nadal in 2
Nadal in 3
Federer in 2
Federer in 3
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Fedal XXX
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 6,966
Fedal XXX
Who?

Nadal.
(This post was last modified: 18-May-2013 06:07 PM by tented.)
18-May-2013 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 2,925
RE: Fedal XXX
As I wrote in another thread I just hope Fed doesn't come out firing on all cylinders getting miles ahead making a monkey out of Nadal leading 5-1 or 5-2 and then lose the set 7-5 or I'll barf my guts up. Please Fed no. Might take something for my stomach in advance just in case. Better to lose it 7-5 while keeping on serve up to 5-5.
(This post was last modified: 18-May-2013 04:53 PM by Front242.)
18-May-2013 04:52 PM
1972Murat Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 2,152
If we have half the magic of 7 years ago, I am cool with it. The result is obvious...

18-May-2013 04:56 PM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 830
Yawn, the "greatest rivalry" renewed. No reason to think this will be competitive. Good for Roger to show some game this week and it should serve him well going into grass hopefully.
18-May-2013 05:04 PM
Kieran Offline

I have to say, I don't mind who wins. Yeah, you read that correct. This match is a statistic, not an indicator, between these two. Fed can hammer him tomorrow but Paris? I'm feel confident there. So it would be a statistic.

But isn't it fabulous that these two are in the final? Isn't it great? Remember their great Rome match? This is Rome! Kudos to the Two.

I reckon Nadal wins cos, come on! But I don't mind. Seriously. I'm sentimental over this one and I don't do sentimental...
18-May-2013 05:13 PM
Mog Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 524
Roger made the final and that's good enough for me at this time.
Everyone knows 100% who wins tomorrow.
Who else is in the final, not Murray, not Ferrer and not Djoko but the king of clay.
(This post was last modified: 18-May-2013 05:40 PM by Mog.)
18-May-2013 05:23 PM
JesuslookslikeBorg Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 337
federati should go on a chip/slice/dropshot/moonball rampage..maybe not the moonball bit,

nadals speed around the court isn't what it was pre injury so jerking him around the court would be his chance to maybe win..

on clay its 12-2 to rafa/wafa so why not ring the changes..whats Federer going to do otherwise Huh spend 3hrs trying to pull a backhand shot from 4 miles above and over his shoulder Huh..if he does that, its nadal all day long..

if nadal wins I think it means he is defo seed 4 above ferrer.

knowing me alan partridge, knowing you tennis frontier..ah ha.
18-May-2013 05:24 PM
DarthFed Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 830
(18-May-2013 05:13 PM)Kieran Wrote:  I have to say, I don't mind who wins. Yeah, you read that correct. This match is a statistic, not an indicator, between these two. Fed can hammer him tomorrow but Paris? I'm feel confident there. So it would be a statistic.

But isn't it fabulous that these two are in the final? Isn't it great? Remember their great Rome match? This is Rome! Kudos to the Two.

I reckon Nadal wins cos, come on! But I don't mind. Seriously. I'm sentimental over this one and I don't do sentimental...

Good post! A win tomorrow for Federer would be great for him but wouldn't change a whole lot if they were to meet in Paris. That was one of the reasons I rooted for Berdych. Believe it or not a final with Berdych here would have carried much more importance. A win vs. Rafa doesn't change things at majors but a win or 2 over Berdych might change that matchup to where it should be (one way traffic for Fed instead of Tomas). The other reason I rooted for Tomas is that I'd root for anyone in this world to take out Whafa. Doesn't seem to work on clay too often Angry

As for the sentimental value...well you're a Nadal fan. I'm sure you look forward to these matchups a lot more than the true contest vs. Nole. This matchup remains the most overrated I've seen in any sport. I won't miss it when it's gone except for the fact they probably stop when Roger retires.
(This post was last modified: 18-May-2013 05:30 PM by DarthFed.)
18-May-2013 05:27 PM
Mog Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 524
(18-May-2013 05:27 PM)DarthFed Wrote:  
(18-May-2013 05:13 PM)Kieran Wrote:  I have to say, I don't mind who wins. Yeah, you read that correct. This match is a statistic, not an indicator, between these two. Fed can hammer him tomorrow but Paris? I'm feel confident there. So it would be a statistic.

Good post! A win tomorrow for Federer would be great for him but wouldn't change a whole lot if they were to meet in Paris. That was one of the reasons I rooted for Berdych. Believe it or not a final with Berdych here would have carried much more importance. A win vs. Rafa doesn't change things at majors but a win or 2 over Berdych might change that matchup to where it should be (one way traffic for Fed instead of Tomas). The other reason I rooted for Tomas is that I'd root for anyone in this world to take out Whafa. Doesn't seem to work on clay too often Angry

Good post Darthfed.
18-May-2013 05:31 PM
Kieran Offline

(18-May-2013 05:27 PM)DarthFed Wrote:  As for the sentimental value...well you're a Nadal fan. I'm sure you look forward to these matchups a lot more than the true contest vs. Nole.

Actually, I'm not too bothered about Novak. Nadal sorted him on clay last year. This season, Rafa is defying my expectations so far. It's all clover...
18-May-2013 05:43 PM
Iona16 Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 345
Federer on facing Nadal..

"Someone has got to stop him, so I hope it's me."

Lest We Forget
18-May-2013 05:49 PM
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 3,414
(18-May-2013 05:43 PM)Kieran Wrote:  
(18-May-2013 05:27 PM)DarthFed Wrote:  As for the sentimental value...well you're a Nadal fan. I'm sure you look forward to these matchups a lot more than the true contest vs. Nole.

Actually, I'm not too bothered about Novak. Nadal sorted him on clay last year. This season, Rafa is defying my expectations so far. It's all clover...

Yes, I get, from Darth, why the "sentimental" value isn't as high for the Fed fan, but it is a classic final, in this era. And Federer has been playing very well this week, while Nadal has had peaks and troughs. If Rafa plays like he did today v. Berdych, I don't like Roger's chances. However, Rafa's level hasn't been consistent during the comeback, and the serve has been a worry. I think Roger will like his chances. I also agree that the implications of a win for Roger are greater than the implications of a loss for Nadal, going into RG. But only in general terms. If it's a fight and Rafa loses, ok, but if he plays passively and doesn't step up to the plate, that will be more of a concern.
18-May-2013 05:55 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
FYI: I turned this thread into a poll.

My vote: Nadal in two.
18-May-2013 06:14 PM
huntingyou Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 75
Federer never shows mercy to Rafa indoors...........so Rafa should return the favor tomorrow and every chance he gets.
18-May-2013 06:59 PM
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(18-May-2013 06:59 PM)huntingyou Wrote:  Federer never shows mercy to Rafa indoors...........so Rafa should return the favor tomorrow and every chance he gets.

Haha! True, dat!
18-May-2013 07:11 PM
Srini Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 36
We know the script. Fed starts off hot, takes a lead and turns Rafa into a 'hunter' mode. Rafa says "thanks very much, that's exactly what I was waiting for" - and then cruises from there. It ends with a Rafa press conference saying "It's so difficult to play against him, no? He is the best in history and everytime I have to play my best to beat him,no?" Okay!!!!Big Smile

Whatever the result, it's good for Roger to play Rafa before RG and Wimbledon, especially after failing to defend his titles this year.

Rafa in two.
18-May-2013 07:30 PM
Kiu Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 370
I know Rafa will probably win this but voted for the old man in 3 sets.
Wishful thinking?
18-May-2013 08:15 PM
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(18-May-2013 08:15 PM)Kiu Wrote:  I know Rafa will probably win this but voted for the old man in 3 sets.
Wishful thinking?

Yes, probably wishful thinking. But as I said earlier, Roger's having a good tournament, and Rafa has been inconsistent, and often serving weakly. We shall see.
18-May-2013 08:20 PM
BalaryKar Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 30
More than the match result, it is predicting what Fedal say during the post-match conference that is more fun. So, I believe it would be like this for Fed: "Nadal is probably the greatest clay player, and arguably I am on the other 300 surfaces including the blue clay, you know. Its a shame that Nole lost in the quarters, otherwise we could have a great Fedal final you know. You know that the match was on my racket 7 years ago, and even today it was same stuff you know, just it was a feet or two away from my racket, you know."

Fed: "I hope to see you next year too, and hopefully Nadal in the finals too next year, you know".

Nadal: "It is always a challenge to play Fed, who is the greatest blue clay court player of all time. We had a great finals here 7 years ago, you remember. Its a shame that the finals can't be 5-setters like they were then. Thats when I and Fed felt that if it can't be a 5-setter classic, let us give a two-set classic. Federer is an amazing player in the beginning of the first set, and he is the greatest player to run away with 5-1 or 5-2 lead. So it is always going to difficult to chase that 5 games lead, especially when you are ranked 5th in the world. I never chased such a lead of Fed, so it was always going to be difficult to make a come back and I am glad that I could do it. Sorry Federer, I mean we all know blah blah blah ...".

Please add your predictions for the post-conference dialogues only henceforth and don't waste time doing that on the match. PLEASETongue
18-May-2013 08:21 PM
El Dude Online

Likes Given: 615
LOL at Federer in 2. Yeah, right.

I vote Rafa in 3. I figure if David Ferrer can take a set from Rafa now, so can Roger.
18-May-2013 08:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)