BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

What's going on in the world
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,366
RE: What's going on in the world
Cameron quits MP also. What is he going to do next? A complete disaster due to miscalculated referendum which he need not even have put out?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
13-Sep-2016 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Kieran Offline
Running around the backhand...

Likes Given: 7,076
He's still only 49, so everything has ended for him very abruptly, in politics. He won an overall majority last year - and now he's resigned as an MP. I like Cameron but I was disappointed he resigned so swiftly as PM. He had a job to do, regardless of the fact he was against the Brexit, but he basically took his toys up off the floor, and said to hell with it.

I'd say he'll vanish for a while, write his memoirs, do a bit of lucrative after-dinner speaking, then maybe get a giant job on the board of some global corps, basically tapping up favours from his old political chums...

Approved
14-Sep-2016 02:56 AM
Kieran Offline

Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature! Clap Clap Celebrate

Approved
13-Oct-2016 07:39 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kieran's post:
GameSetAndMath (10-13-2016)
Kieran Offline

Okay so, Obama really can't leave office fast enough at this stage. While Putin gets to grin and announce a "peace deal" in Syria, after he has levelled Aleppo with a campaign of fire and degradation, and disintegration, on a scale that's raging hot and scarlet, even for that troubled region, what has Putin's Poodle been up to? Oh yeah, only attacking the only liberal democracy in the region. Cover

This time next year, when Obama liberals start attacking Trump for Putin's latest outrages, don't forget it was your bright spark who, when warned by Mitt Romney about Russia, told him that "the 1980's are calling, they want their foreign policy back." Angry

What a spineless jerk...

Approved
30-Dec-2016 07:40 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,964
Kieran, do you think you could a better job given the exact same circumstances?
30-Dec-2016 09:50 AM
Kieran Offline

(30-Dec-2016 09:50 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  Kieran, do you think you could a better job given the exact same circumstances?

That's a bizarre question, to be honest, but in foreign policy terms, I'm wondering what job exactly Obama has done, except alienate his only ally in the Middle East, allow a hungry and brutal tyrant like Putin become the most forceful and dynamic leader in the world, and stupidly lecture Britain on Brexit. Obama has been a disaster on the world stage, and he's made the world a less safe place. How I would do is irrelevant...

Approved
30-Dec-2016 10:04 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

I ask the question because I hear different theories on what has been done. I'm intrigued to know how you would have handled it given the same circumstances.

How do you think Trump will fair? He did a lot of talking on the issue during his campaign. I'm interested to see how much of it actually comes to pass.
30-Dec-2016 01:03 PM
Kieran Offline

(30-Dec-2016 01:03 PM)kskate2 Wrote:  I ask the question because I hear different theories on what has been done. I'm intrigued to know how you would have handled it given the same circumstances.

How do you think Trump will fair? He did a lot of talking on the issue during his campaign. I'm interested to see how much of it actually comes to pass.

Trump will be a disaster with Putin. I said it in the US Election thread. But no more than Obama has been. Mitt Romney was right about Putin, and so was Hillary.

Obama is leaving the stage, it's best he doesn't do too much now that ties up Trump. Trump will just undo it anyway. I'm sure Obama is a nice guy in private, but he's had his turn, and he should leave with dignity...

Approved
30-Dec-2016 01:41 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

(30-Dec-2016 01:41 PM)Kieran Wrote:  
(30-Dec-2016 01:03 PM)kskate2 Wrote:  I ask the question because I hear different theories on what has been done. I'm intrigued to know how you would have handled it given the same circumstances.

Trump will be a disaster with Putin. I said it in the US Election thread. But no more than Obama has been. Mitt Romney was right about Putin, and so was Hillary.

Obama is leaving the stage, it's best he doesn't do too much now that ties up Trump. Trump will just undo it anyway. I'm sure Obama is a nice guy in private, but he's had his turn, and he should leave with dignity...
It seems as though no one is listening to Mitt. Trump interviewed him for the position of SOS and instead of selecting Romney, he went in a completely different direction.
(This post was last modified: 31-Dec-2016 10:09 AM by kskate2.)
30-Dec-2016 01:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kskate2's post:
Kieran (12-30-2016)
GameSetAndMath Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 2,366
Certainly Obama let Putin become relevant. He should have been tougher on Putin.

However, I like the fact that Obama dropped the ball on Israel in the UN Vote. I fully agree with the text of Kerry's speech. My only problem is that it may be too little and too late to have any meaningful impact on the crisis.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain
30-Dec-2016 02:00 PM
Kieran Offline

The thing with Putin is, Europeans know these kinda men, and Eastern Europeans know them even better. I've been hearing about putin for decades now, from the in-laws and others I know from the Baltic republics. They lived parts of their lives in Siberia, my wife's family: her father, aunts, uncles. They recognised Putin from the beginning, and knew his reputation. They never trusted him, and now they tell us terribly scary things that are going on in that region. John McCain (I think) said he looked into Putin's eyes and saw KGB. He wasn't wrong. The thing is though, Russia is still weak, relatively speaking. We need western leaders who are strong, and that kinda leadership has been lacking. Hence, putin has become daring. He can be reined in, but I have my doubts at the moment. He's very clever and cunning, politically, too. Obama was out of his depth with Putin...

Approved
30-Dec-2016 02:04 PM
Kieran Offline

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the British government having to fight court cases about Brexit - and I read good arguments on both sides - parliament has now voted to say that Theresa May's government can decide when to trigger Article 50. This has been a very interesting legal battle, one where the leading barrister - David Pannick QC - in the recent court case against the government has admitted that although he was correct to battle against the government taking action without the sanction of parliament, and although he himself was a lukewarm remainer, he feels the people have had the ultimate say and Brexit should happen.

Now the music quickens and the dance begins, the sabres begin to rattle, and the threats are being made. I think it'll be a messy drawn-out process and the EU will ultimately be unable to survive in its present form the Brit-shaped hole that will be left behind. Will we then see a more benevolent, and democratic EU? Or will the whole thing slide into something terrible?

Approved
02-Feb-2017 03:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)