BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Poll: Who will have the better career?
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Sloane Stephens
Laura Robson
Madison Keys
Christina McHale
Heather Watson
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who of these youngsters will have the better career?
jhar26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 138
Who of these youngsters will have the better career?
Sorta a sister thread/poll to kskate2's "young babe watch" thread. I limit myself to a few names that seem to be obvious candidates for doing great things in the future. Which one of them will have the better career of them all? Feel free to discuss those that are not in the poll if you think that they will have great careers.
13-May-2013 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Kiu Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 370
RE: Who of these youngsters will have the better career?
I picked Laura but Nastia & Hingis may do the trick before Laura Robson does.
13-May-2013 04:59 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 248
I think Madison is the player who is going to be winning big titles..Robson will be like Andy Murray...mostly hype.
13-May-2013 05:35 PM
Calvy Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 0
(13-May-2013 05:35 PM)tossip Wrote:  I think Madison is the player who is going to be winning big titles..Robson will be like Andy Murray...mostly hype.

What are you smoking? Murray, mostly hype?!

So, winning a slam, an Olympic gold, making 4 other slam finals and ranked number 2 in the world is hype?
13-May-2013 07:24 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(13-May-2013 07:24 PM)Calvy Wrote:  
(13-May-2013 05:35 PM)tossip Wrote:  I think Madison is the player who is going to be winning big titles..Robson will be like Andy Murray...mostly hype.

What are you smoking? Murray, mostly hype?!

So, winning a slam, an Olympic gold, making 4 other slam finals and ranked number 2 in the world is hype?
Tongue lol
13-May-2013 10:06 PM
jhar26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 138
Pavlyuchenkova, I don't know. A few years ago I thought she would be a future great or close. But she doesn't seem to have made any progress for a long time now. So I'm having my doubts. But perhaps Hingis can get her back on the right track. Initial results look promising.

Heather Watson. Lovely girl and a good competitor, but I don't think she has a big enough game to join the elite.

McHale will have a good career, but I think she misses that little bit extra to be a top 10 player.

So that leaves us with Sloane Stephens, Laura Watson and Madison Keys. Sloane doesn't seem to handle pressure very well considering her dreadful results after her great run at the AO. But there's a good chance that she'll get back on the right track eventually.

Laura Robson is doing great. True, her results are a bit up and down, but she's only a teenager and she has already wins over the likes of Clijsters, Li, Radwanska and Venus, so she's not intimidated by the big names. I think that she's a future YEC player and probably even more than that.

Madison Keys could have a great career, but I find it hard to judge her because I've only seen her play once. But her career trajectory so far looks promising.

All six will do well for themselves I think, but Robson, Keys and Stephens are the most likely to have top 10 careers. I still give Pavlyuchenkova a minor chance as well if she gets rid of those kilos that shouldn't be there and if Hingis can work her magic.
14-May-2013 02:37 AM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Stephens is a pusher and is not as aggressive like Keys,plus Keys already shows promise after being a few months on tour.Stephens claim to fame is beating a hobbled Serena and nothing else and her mentality is not of a champion...
14-May-2013 03:56 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,897
(14-May-2013 02:37 AM)jhar26 Wrote:  Pavlyuchenkova, I don't know. A few years ago I thought she would be a future great or close. But she doesn't seem to have made any progress for a long time now. So I'm having my doubts. But perhaps Hingis can get her back on the right track. Initial results look promising.

Heather Watson. Lovely girl and a good competitor, but I don't think she has a big enough game to join the elite.

McHale will have a good career, but I think she misses that little bit extra to be a top 10 player.

So that leaves us with Sloane Stephens, Laura Watson and Madison Keys. Sloane doesn't seem to handle pressure very well considering her dreadful results after her great run at the AO. But there's a good chance that she'll get back on the right track eventually.

Laura Robson is doing great. True, her results are a bit up and down, but she's only a teenager and she has already wins over the likes of Clijsters, Li, Radwanska and Venus, so she's not intimidated by the big names. I think that she's a future YEC player and probably even more than that.

Madison Keys could have a great career, but I find it hard to judge her because I've only seen her play once. But her career trajectory so far looks promising.

All six will do well for themselves I think, but Robson, Keys and Stephens are the most likely to have top 10 careers. I still give Pavlyuchenkova a minor chance as well if she gets rid of those kilos that shouldn't be there and if Hingis can work her magic.

Well if anyone can help Nastia get in shape it would be Martina. Hingis was in fantastic shape.
14-May-2013 07:26 AM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(14-May-2013 07:26 AM)kskate2 Wrote:  
(14-May-2013 02:37 AM)jhar26 Wrote:  Pavlyuchenkova, I don't know. A few years ago I thought she would be a future great or close. But she doesn't seem to have made any progress for a long time now. So I'm having my doubts. But perhaps Hingis can get her back on the right track. Initial results look promising.

Well if anyone can help Nastia get in shape it would be Martina. Hingis was in fantastic shape.
yeah Pavlyuchenkova has kinda fizzled..she had the most promise .The next generation for me will be
Madison Keys
Muguruza
Taylor Townsend
Putinsveva
Vekic

I believe one of these players will be a great champion...no hype here.
14-May-2013 07:56 AM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 2,925
Gotta be Robson if you ask me but she really needs to work on her serve bigtime. When it works it's great but a huge amount of double faults. In the match against Serena tonight you could bet on her double faulting every service game, break point down, match point, you name it. Gotta work on it.
14-May-2013 04:13 PM
Sundaymorningguy Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 19
Laura Robson=younger version of Ana Ivanovic at the moment
14-May-2013 04:30 PM
the AntiPusher Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 919
Agreed with Madison, IDK about the Murray comparison.
14-May-2013 04:30 PM
fashionista Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 2,276
I am a fan of Madison though to me she has to improve her movement.She reminds me of Davenport in ways.I think she could be a top 10 future player.

Pavs has never played to her true potential.Her fitness has always let her down and also her focus.Hopefully Hingis can make improvements in these area's.Though I just saw she got trounced in her first match in Rome.Back to the drawing board againSmile

Sloane is a talented player.Though after all the Hype she got from the media after she defeated a injured Serena at the AO,her results have been poor.To me she puts too much pressure on herself.Also she needs to get off Twitter and start concentrating on her game.

Robson another player who showed promise as a junior.To date her results have been up and down.Watched her playing Serena and she needs to work on her serve....too many d/faults......maybe she felt the added pressure.
14-May-2013 05:20 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Robson s fitness needs improvement in the second set against Serena she looked so tired.
14-May-2013 08:32 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

**BUMP**
29-Jan-2015 02:23 PM
tossip Offline
Grand Slam Champion

(29-Jan-2015 02:23 PM)kskate2 Wrote:  **BUMP**
EyepopCry yes Muguruza has showed promise but not sue about her mental game....
Madison is doing well...just not sure about her mental game...anyway the year is still young and lots of tennis to be played.Popcorn
04-Feb-2015 07:42 PM
sk310 Offline
Masters Titleist

Likes Given: 27
Some of these players have already fallen off our radar and others like Genie we hadn't even seen the potential in yet!

I still think Genie has the best upside. She hasn't really cracked under pressure and I think she loves the grand slam atmosphere. In my mind that can only be a good thing. She just needs to start showing up more at smaller tournaments.
05-Feb-2015 06:54 AM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

**BUMP**
12-Sep-2016 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)