BOARD TALK
The fastest growing tennis discussion forum on the planet.

Poll: which is harder?
This poll is closed.
Back to back premier events 77.78% 7 77.78%
Grand Slam event 22.22% 2 22.22%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which is harder to accomplish?
Kiu Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 370
Which is harder to accomplish?
Everyone says the Slams are the most important prize in Tennis.

However, during the yearly tour, we have months that have no major tourny, but in 4 months within the year we have dual premier level events that are played back to back.
February we have Doha and Dubai, total 1900 points.
March we have IW and Miami, total 2000 points.
May we have Madrid and Rome, total 1900 points.
October we have Japan and China, total 1900 points.

Which is more difficult to accomplish, a major or two of these in a row?
(This post was last modified: 03-May-2013 10:38 PM by Kiu.)
03-May-2013 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Likes Given: 3,414
RE: Which is harder to accomplish?
I had to go with back-to-back premier events. The field is not as large, but still big, and, barring injury (or protest,) all of the top players play. Women play best-of-3 at both premier events and Slams, but they get a day off at Majors. Therefore, I'd say the former is the more physically and mentally challenging. Interesting question, Kiu!
03-May-2013 06:02 PM
jhar26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 138
I agree with Moxie629. For the men I would say a slam and for the women back to back premier events, although you'll get more recognition for winning a slam of course. Depends a bit on which premier events as well. If it's premier mandatory/premier5 level.....winning Indian Wells and Miami back to back must be one of the hardest things to do in the game.
03-May-2013 06:14 PM
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

Agreed that the IW-Miami combo-platter is a tough ask, even on the men's side. Though, in a way, Madrid-Rome might be the tougher ask, these days, given that there is no obviously dominant clay-courter on the women's side. I'd be less surprised by a HC back-to-back than a clay one.
03-May-2013 06:47 PM
jhar26 Offline
Seasoned Pro

Likes Given: 138
(03-May-2013 06:47 PM)Moxie629 Wrote:  Agreed that the IW-Miami combo-platter is a tough ask, even on the men's side. Though, in a way, Madrid-Rome might be the tougher ask, these days, given that there is no obviously dominant clay-courter on the women's side. I'd be less surprised by a HC back-to-back than a clay one.
Perhaps, but one could also turn that argument around and say that many girls play well on hardcourt and therefore winning IW/M back to back is the bigger achievement. Close call. I guess that winning the IW/M combo would be the more prestigious accomplishment since both claim sorta "fifth slam" status. Although that's just PR of course, they are nevertheless the best events to win other than the majors, Olympics and YEC. At least in my opinion.
03-May-2013 07:30 PM
Moxie629 Offline
Multiple Slam Winner

(03-May-2013 07:30 PM)jhar26 Wrote:  
(03-May-2013 06:47 PM)Moxie629 Wrote:  Agreed that the IW-Miami combo-platter is a tough ask, even on the men's side. Though, in a way, Madrid-Rome might be the tougher ask, these days, given that there is no obviously dominant clay-courter on the women's side. I'd be less surprised by a HC back-to-back than a clay one.
Perhaps, but one could also turn that argument around and say that many girls play well on hardcourt and therefore winning IW/M back to back is the bigger achievement. Close call. I guess that winning the IW/M combo would be the more prestigious accomplishment since both claim sorta "fifth slam" status. Although that's just PR of course, they are nevertheless the best events to win other than the majors, Olympics and YEC. At least in my opinion.

I agree with you, jhar, that the HC ones would be the better achievement, because that's where the top players dominate these days. I'm just saying that the clay "double" would be a surprise. I can't think of anyone I would pick for that.
03-May-2013 08:06 PM
Kiu Offline
Grand Slam Champion

Likes Given: 370
I see we have two votes for slam but no one commented.
Hmmm!!!

Back to back premier events take about 12-13 match wins, right?
A slam is 7 match wins, right?
(This post was last modified: 06-May-2013 03:58 PM by Kiu.)
06-May-2013 03:58 PM
Omair Offline
Pro

Likes Given: 18
Back to back premier events no doubt is a tougher ask, given that there are more matches involved and different courts are involved along-with adjusting to the conditions of the new environment and the courts.
Plus the pressure from the winning of the previous event and being the favourite for the next one. Although it might not be a very big factor for the top players who are used to the pressure thing, still.
08-May-2013 01:30 PM
kskate2 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 1,899
Back to back premiere would be the hardest feat, either the IW/M or the clay swing. IW is played in the desert and Miami is played in warmer and humid conditions. Madrid has high altitude and over the years the clay has been noticeably different. Rome is a slower red clay and temps in May can be still be chilly.

Either way I agree w/ Omair. It's a tough ask to win one tournament and then have to focus and get up for another set of matches to win a second title the next week on a different court and different conditions.
12-May-2013 02:04 PM
Front242 Offline
Dyslexia For Cure Found

Likes Given: 2,925
Back to back events for sure for the WTA as they play only best of 3. Completely different kettle of fish with slams for the men as slams are obviously far more taxing than back to back best of 3 events for them.
12-May-2013 02:22 PM
tented Offline
Potential GOAT

Likes Given: 4,705
(08-May-2013 01:30 PM)Omair Wrote:  Back to back premier events no doubt is a tougher ask, given that there are more matches involved and different courts are involved along-with adjusting to the conditions of the new environment and the courts.
Plus the pressure from the winning of the previous event and being the favourite for the next one. Although it might not be a very big factor for the top players who are used to the pressure thing, still.

I was somewhat undecided as I was reading through the thread until I read this post. You convinced me: back-to-back premier events is the tougher ask.
12-May-2013 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)